What would you do?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What would you do?

skisheep
Currently we have a trip booked to Whiteface from March 15th-18th. We have been there in the past, and really liked the mountain and Lake Placid. However, due to the conditions that have been affecting us in the northeast, it looks like, unless things turn around fast, Whiteface is going to be in serious trouble by mid march, if not closed entirely. So, I am in the dillema of what to do. We can cancel our hotel for 2 more weeks, however, want to re enforce a backup plan sooner rather then later. We are 1 expert and 2 intermediates, who like fast cruisers and good variety of terrain. We are not tree skiers.

With all this in mind, what would you do?

A) Keep our reservation and pray for more snow/colder tempartures.
b) Cancel our reservation, and go to another location in the Northeast(within a 5.5 hour drive from NYC)
c) Cancel our reservation, and cough up the big bucks for airfare out west and make a week of the trip(or is it just as bad out there)
d) Forget about skiing, and book a nice beach resort, because everything will be a disaster.

Thanks so much for your advice in advance.

skisheep
ORDA and New England Passholder. If it's fast, it's probably fun.
2014-2015 season days
Whiteface: 2
Sunday River: 4
Loon: 2
Hunter: 1
Belleayre: 1
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What would you do?

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
Have you considered Quebec. They are doing pretty  well. Le Massif and MSA are good March options. Plus you have   Quebec City..8hrs from NYC.

I would cancel reservations if there is no penalty. You can always rebook or find another place.

Forget the beach, you have all summer to lie on the sand.

If you have the money, Whistler and the Pacific NorthWest are in great shape.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
In reply to this post by skisheep
Well, I would wait till the last minute to cancel the trip entirely.  With 3 days of vacation there are PLENTY of other really fun things you could do while in town.

Out "west" isn't doing very well either.  Jackson Hole has picked up some decent snow recently, and Colorado seems to be pulling in some snow lately as well.  
Extreme west such as Lake Tahoe is a bust this year.  Granted, it only takes one storm- they're in the same boat as we are, any moisture that comes around is a few degrees too warm.  PNW is doing well as well as Whistler.

With having said you were intermediate skiers/1 expert who doesn't ski trees- I have to weigh the benefits of a huge expense vacation (anything that you have to fly to boosts the price $500per person) when you're skiing the same terrain you would be at "home".  What I'm saying is a Blue square/Single diamond run is going to be pretty equal across the board, especially in March when the snow is soft everywhere.

I say keep the money local, reduce your carbon footprint and stay here in the North East.

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
Chris, you are exactly right on the value of going out west. Our goal is to try to find somewhere in the Northeast if possible.

Jason, Quebec is an option, but kind of a last resort because 8 hours is a bit of a drive from NYC. Any other ideas a little closer?

Does anyone  have experience with Whiteface in march? Any guesses on what it might look like with the bad weather we've been having?

Thanks for your replies!

-skisheep
2014-2015 season days
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
I live in LP full time. March Has always been the best month to ski. We usually ski most of the whole Mt til mid April with excellent conditions.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
Do you think that will be the case even with the limited snow we have had?

-skisheep
2014-2015 season days
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
skisheep wrote
We are 1 expert and 2 intermediates, who like fast cruisers and good variety of terrain. We are not tree skiers.

With all this in mind, what would you do?

b) Cancel our reservation, and go to another location in the Northeast(within a 5.5 hour drive from NYC)
If I was in your position, I would cancel and go to Stowe. They seem to be in better shape than most of the Northeast. Lots of great lodging options and terrain that will suit your group just fine. If you don't get a package deal, make sure you ask ahead of time about lift ticket deals. I learned the hard way that asking about lift ticket discounts once you get to your hotel/motel is too late.

Having a car is critical, because the shuttle stops running much too early at night (at least it did the last time I was there). Travel time of 5.5 hours (unless you hit a storm) is just about right.

BTW, I don't know what bar up there is THE place to be these days, but it used to be The Matterhorn.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Personally, I'ld say it's a crap shoot. The way this year is going we'll be lucky to make it thru Feb. Would not be surprised if mtns start closing this month perhaps very soon. Just my opinion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
My gut is telling me March will be fine...We haven't had a good March in years. So maybe this will be the one..
Still no need to book ahead anywhere in the NE..Just wait till the last moment and snap up some good deals..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome skisheep.

IMO it's extremely unlikely that Whiteface won't be open with a lot of terrain on March 15. Of course anything's possible. But also IMO - at that time of year - the most reliable snow in NY is probably at Whiteface.

The most reliable snow in the east is going to be at Stowe or Jay Peak. Quebec is fantastic but it's farther and gets less snow than No VT. That's pushing the 5.5 hours depending on how you drive and where exactly you are in NYC.

I'd venture that Killington and Sugarbush will be fine then too.  If it's really warm the skiing could be great.

Why did you originally choose Whiteface? LP will still be there.

I'd at least wait the two weeks, then see what your options are in No VT - if you think it's necessary.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
If i had a crystal ball I would have consulted it before I booked a week at Sunday River. No one knows for sure.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Chu don't need no stinkin crystal ball.....Pennsylvania Prognosticator Punxsutawny Phil will weigh in soon.

The second greatest thing to come outta Pennsylvania, Punxsutawny Phil is far more accurate than all the other copy cats, north, south, east or west of the Pecos.

BUT! if that critter says an early spring, we'll all git our varmit guns and go a woodchucking......Camp, you got point?
Reply | Threaded
|

skisheep
Thanks for all of your replies!

I think were going to cancel our reservation. If we have a great late febuary/early march, we will rebook and go to WF, otherwise look at options in VT (probably stowe)

Pray for Snow!

-skisheep
2014-2015 season days
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Quitter!!!

Just kidding!

Right now, since you have a reservation that you can get refunded, it seems to make sense to cancel the reservation. It's pretty unlikely that you'll have a hard time rebooking something else, should things turn out better over the next 4 or 5 weeks.

In Herb Stevens' latest report, posted yesterday on SnoCountry.com, he's still calling for an improved February with the possibility of a big storm in the middle of the month, but he doesn't sound quite as "bullish" on February as he previously did.

Good luck!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
March is the most reliable month for a good WF experience.  WF gets the most snow in March of any month and the temps are warmer and snow is softer.  Its my fav month of the year.

wait two weeks and see how things look but march as been the best bet for WF
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote

BUT! if that critter says an early spring, we'll all git our varmit guns and go a woodchucking......Camp, you got point?
Remington .22-250 ready to roll baby

That's the same time the A18 Gang will be at WF....I say go for it!!! As others have said March is a GREAT time for WF.....in p[ast years we've had everything from mid winter conditions to 55 sunny and corn.

Look for the camo!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Dont cancel man!!  You know you'll regret it!

Middle of March is awesome conditions @ WF.  Plus w/ them red necks from Greek Peak coming we may even throw a St. Paddy's Day meat feast in the river lot!!  Lot's of good eats and friendly peeps!

WF snowtribe will be laying it on deep to gear up for President's week so rest assured we'll have as much snow on the mtn as anyone else in da east.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
keep it
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
In mid March WF could be -20 or +65. It is traditionally a great spring ski mountain, faces almost due east, sun all day long. Remember 07 we also had a St Pattys day storm. WF can be a crap shoot but unless it rains hot water all of march there will be plenty of snow on trails w manmade. They still have a couple more weeks of snowmaking so I wouldn't cancel plans for mid march just yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY