What would you rather

31 messages Options
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

What would you rather

Have new lifts or  your mountain covered with snow making.
It's my preference to make the darn snow.  Come on it's not rocket science. West mountain is dumb putting a new lift in. Until they can cover that place wall to wall in a month they should just keep building out  the snowmaking. And so should whiteface and Gore.
scrundy scrundy
Reply |

Re: What would you rather

Agree ...  This really turned me off with Greek, never understood why they put that lift in as opposed to snow making. Geez any skier will take good conditions over a faster lift any day. As a matter of fact I now ski somewhere else with slow lifts but much much better snow making
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Have new lifts or  your mountain covered with snow making.
It's my preference to make the darn snow.  Come on it's not rocket science. West mountain is dumb putting a new lift in. Until they can cover that place wall to wall in a month they should just keep building out  the snowmaking. And so should whiteface and Gore.
Per usual, it depends.    How old was the lift replaced at West?  Is the new lift brand new or used?  Does it break down at all?  I've only recently discovered the existence of West and have never been there.

The small mountain I know best is Massanutten, which was founded in 1971, about 75 acres, 100% snowmaking.  They started a multi-year improvement process by replacing two original lifts, vintage 1970s.  There was a slow double used by beginners from the base, and an old triple that serves the primary blue terrain with a mid-station for intermediates while advanced skiers/boarders can ride to the top.  The new beginner lift was a quad with conveyor loading.  It's a short lift that can also be used by inter/adv folks to get to the upper mountain.  Old triple stayed a triple but all new towers and less maintenance hassles.  Updating snowmaking infrastructure started at the same time but will continue as needed.  Lots more giant fan guns in the last few years, both fixed and portable.  Building a new building for the ski school was a big deal that also meant the lodge (only one) could be renovated.  Final major project was building a 2-mile pipeline from a second water source.  I figure the total price tag is well over $25 million even without the pipeline and the process has taken 10-15 years.  I know the initial plan was drawn up in 2005.  Massanutten is a major 4-season timeshare resort so can find funding for major capital improvements like an indoor/outdoor waterpark or replacing lifts.  But it still can't do everything at once.
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

In reply to this post by scrundy
scrundy wrote
Agree ...  This really turned me off with Greek, never understood why they put that lift in as opposed to snow making. Geez any skier will take good conditions over a faster lift any day. As a matter of fact I now ski somewhere else with slow lifts but much much better snow making
Greek had to put the new lift in. It had been promised for 3 years before it was ever installed.

That said I completely agree with you and TJ that it's all about the POW. Heck, I'd rather ride T-bars and have the snow!!!
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Snowmaking first every time.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I like it when they cut new trails and leave them there for years without snowmaking, completely killing any chance of getting the mountain 100% open by Christmas.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

I’d prefer to see fewer of both lifts and snowmaking.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
billyymc billyymc
Reply |

In reply to this post by scrundy
scrundy wrote
It's not faster.
Joneski73 Joneski73
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
That said I completely agree with you and TJ that it's all about the POW. Heck, I'd rather ride T-bars and have the snow!!!
The T bars were awesome.  I wish they were still there!
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

In reply to this post by marznc
I would venture to guess if they put all that money into snowmaking they would get more customers.  People want a good skiing experience.  It will bring them back a lot more than a fancy bathroom in a lodge.  
Blow it groom it get out of the way.