Where to stay in Cape Cod

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where to stay in Cape Cod

campgottagopee
My girlfriend and I are looking to go to Cape Cod for Labor Day weekend this year. Anyone have any recommendations as to where to stay? I'm looking for a cabin-cottage-condo to rent (preferably down by da beach mon). Any info is appreciated  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to stay in Cape Cod

ml242
Right near da beach
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
We stay at a nice motel with great efficiency units RIGHT on The Ocean , very clean , quiet , low density , after labor day rates are very reasonable has great beach , heated pool , breakfast goodies  The Colony Beach Motel , in Dennisport on the south shore . It is located in a nice residential type area , 6 miles from Chatham , walking distance to D port town.  A mile or so from Bass River another beautiful beach area , and Harwichport yet another very nice beach town about another 2 miles BEAUTIFUL HARBORS IN THESE PLACES TOO AND CHatham has awesome beaches

Been staying there for many yrs , clean , nice and reasonable , we will be there shortly  before prime season when rates jack up . We r staying poolside and ocean view for 145 / nite  my bet if u check the w3bsite ur rates will b similar after Labor day

We have also rented shore front homes for an entire summer ther too when i was on sabbatical leave ...many nice smaller cottages are in the region , have rented aome multiple weeks  had one in West Dennis. On a fresh water pond a block from the Bass River a tidal river with beautiful river and Ocean beaches and an easy half mile bike ride to West Dennis Beach on the Ocean .

Good luck , its a GREAT place and the seafood is to die for !!

Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Right near da beach
 word
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by warp daddy
Thanks for the info Warp --- I'll be checking it out!!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
http://74.220.17.142/
 Here ya go
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Looks sweet and reasonably priced --- we may have a winner winner chicken dinner
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yeah Camp it IS a goood deal i been doing the Cape scene for fn decades and this one is run the right way , u got privacy if u want it , really low density not overrun , and quit and very clean ...good peeps , and the Nantucket Sound is fairly warm ...but man DO it all thebeaches all over thedamncape are awesome !!!

If you can bring or rent bikes there is anawesome 50 mile bike path PAVED that fors thru to a bunch of wonderful fresh water ponds to swim intoo they are really like fairly good sized lakes . We biked friggen everywhere .... ThCape lifetyle is da cats azz.. VERY LAID BACK ?.....And man the seafood is a major pig out !!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Looking for a few nights, or a whole week?  Some places only rent full weeks.  

What kind of beach people are you?  Beaches along the south shore on Nantucket Sound are generally smaller, local beaches with not much wave action.  Pretty marshes and inlets and such.  Get out past Chatham and north and you have ocean beaches, from Nauset (town beach of Orleans) to the National Seashore beaches.  All of these beaches are bigger/longer, with good wave action, depending on the weather.   If you want to catch waves in any way this is where you want to be.  Long, romantic walks, dunes and cliffs and such.  We much prefer the ocean beaches.

Chatham is without a doubt the nicest town on the Cape, unless you are into the freaky people watching scene of Provincetown.  Lots of hotels in the Chatham area, but closest to the beach you could check out the Surfside Motor Inn.  House rentals close to the beach but they are $$$$$.  Problem with close to the beach is that, while Chatham Lighthouse Beach is picturesque, there's no swimming.  Currents, seals and sharks, oh my!

If you don't want to stay in Chatham, for down by the beach I'd get yourself to Orleans, north of Pleasant Bay, so you can be by the ocean beaches.  Driven by it a lot but don't know anything about it, but the Nauset Knoll Motor Lodge, while basic, is right on Nauset Beach in Orleans.  My wife's favorite beach, and the food at Liam's is good.

Up in Wellfleet, north of Marconi Beach (National Seashore), there are the Surf Side Cottages down the beach, but these may all be weekly.

Hl Truro Hostel, a Coast Guard station turned no frills hostel is down by the beach up in the Provincetown area.

Those are some 'by the beach' things that I've seen.  Otherwise, there's lots of cottages and such as you head north on the Mid-Cape highway (6) from Orleans.  That's the area I'd look in.  Coast Guard Beach (National Seashore) is my favorite.  Nice sand bars (great for skim boarding) when the tide is out, not a lot of rocks on the beach (which you do find elsewhere), and great surf.

There may be great lodging option near the beach on the bay/sound sides, but we don't usually hit those beaches, as the ocean is our thing.  However, Skaket Beach on the bay side (Orleans) at low tide is really cool, you can walk out in the flats for almost two miles.

Bring your bikes.  Lots of old rail trails, the bike trail from Salt Pond to Coast Guard Beach is great, and the bike trails through the Provincetown dunes up at the Province Lands Visitors Center are fascinating....and tough.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Glad Warp has the South Shore covered.  Definitely nice down that way, and the water is warmer.....but like I said, we are ocean people and in to skim boarding, bogey boarding, and miles long walks on the beach.  The sound beaches don't lend themselves to that.  At least my kids have gotten over the seaweed when we do go!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Camp .  Labor Day on the Cape might be a traffic snarl at the major bridges from the Mainland to the island both the Sagamore and Bourne bridgess can at times be tough so u might want to try to go onoff hrs . The mid cape hgwy 6 will be fine it can handke it .  but once off it and on rt 28  the  main e-w link between some towns can be a crawl .. I ALWAYS go back roads between towns if it gets dense......just use ur gps there are a couple of neat ways to avoid the route28 crawl

Going from the south shoreto the north shore is usually ok , only 6 miles andu can use 134. Or a couple my favs the Bass RiverRd  andi think the other one is 139  the north shore is very nice see Mayflower Beach , ColdStorage Beach , Vikings Beach or a really cool isolated dune beachs at Chapin Beach orSandy Neck . Cool outercape beaches at Race Point in Ptown  or NAuset Beach in Eastham or thebeaches at Orleans

Ah hell u cant go wrong anywhere ........Ptown is trippy. You see why if get out there bwa hahaha u'll see whatimtalkinbout 😈
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Agree the nort shore beaches bayside are favs for long walks at low tide , friggen beautiful  
While the outer Cape beaches are spectacular for waves , dunes , surfing but one thing about the outer cape Ocean side water is COLD , think Maine like cold  .. . Living there for an entire 4 month summer we have hit most all cape beaches .

The bayside stuff is amazing at lowtide !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Bring your feathers!!

We always leave NY (Dutchess Co.) for Chatham around 9pm.  I'd rather fly through in 4 hours and arrive at 1am than sit in traffic.  We have to deal with Danbury/Waterbury/Hartford and you don't want to be anywhere near that around rush hour.  Coming across 90 to the Mass Pike is probably better, but 495 to the Bourne can be terrible if you hit it with the masses.  Like Warp said, heading up 6 usually isn't bad.  Where 6 is a problem is on the way out, a very slow go with the masses.  That's why we always leave the cape around 7pm.  You avoid the snarl heading toward the Sagamore.  While we get home late we do have a full day before we leave!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Cold, schmold.  Once you get numb you don't feel anything anyway!!!  All joking aside, you do adjust, and it's not that bad.  We've even swum in October on a gorgeous Columbus Day weekend!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks for the info you guys!! Lots to look at ..... may ever reconsider hitting Cape Cod when we have a week to spend instead of a long weekend ..... we only have 9/2 - 9/6, so may not want to spend two of those days in the car at 7hrs a wack .... dunno, time will tell

As for the beach we really don't need waves --- beach for us is a cooler, radio, and my girl lookin hot in her bikini FKNA
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Oh hell yeah i agree i swim in 53 degree stuff in Ogunquit in Me and have done the CC rail trail right our to Race Point ion Columbus Day and you KNOW we dipped our butts for a cool off . My point for Camp was strictly that the temps outer cape OCEANSIDE are shall we say REFRESHING  ( meaning yer stones go north instead o south and SHRINKAGE bwaaa haaaaa haaa CAN occur .......but its ALL good ..

Gettin' stoked for our week out there fn luv the Cape , then Maine in Sept wooo hooo

But Camper take her for a moonlight walk at lowtide dude on say Mayflower or Chapins ......romantic chit there my man !!😜
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Agree totally re timing .

We are lucky , our daughter and son  in law live near Concord Mass , so it is just 90 minute drive .   Having spent many seasons out there we know the cape backroads really well and almost always avoid 28. A side benefit is  there are just SO many beautiful little out of the way  places and towns all over the cape ... U really can't miss
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
warp daddy wrote
But Camper take her for a moonlight walk......romantic chit there my man !!😜
Wouldn't be a proper Escape if you weren't.......making love at midnight in the dunes of the cape!

We've never done the moonlight bay walk at low tide, but my wife isn't a big fan of doing that walk during the day.

Another cool and potentially romantic thing, one of the coolest things we've done up there, is to get a permit for a fire on one of the National Seashore beaches.  For us it's a big affair with a bunch of people, requiring an army to get all the shovels, firewood, cooking supplies and food out to the beach, but for a couple to have a romantic night it wouldn't require as much stuff.

I'll tell ya, though....while all the seafood up there is great, it's even better when you cook it yourself on the beach!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The cap is great if you are off season, I know you have a limited date set this time though. My personal opinion would be to avoid it then - a total zoo. If next season you can go a week or two after labor day you will be in heaven. Rent a house, doesn't have to be on the beech, a few blocks away is fine. Use bikes for travel when you are there. Hit the local fish markets and Vegi stands and eat like a king.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JTG4eva! wrote
warp daddy wrote
But Camper take her for a moonlight walk......romantic chit there my man !!😜
Wouldn't be a proper Escape if you weren't.......making love at midnight in the dunes of the cape!

I'm a total ladies man --- no need to worry gents