classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Cliff Notes

Highpeaksdrifter
freeheeln wrote
you ll never survive here being thin skinned.turn your feelings off when you log in
This is a very light hearted forum. You should have been around for the RSN forum.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
you ll never survive here being thin skinned.turn your feelings off when you log in
+1

no worries KC---all in good fun
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by KC
After I read KC's post I thought that it did emphasize the ice part. But then if you read some of the others there is a thread of agreement, even on those that posted more positive comments. I am not a regular at Whiteface but I have found it's conditions to be great to "interesting". I have never had a bad day there but I have had days where the trails that I felt worth skiing were few. I have skiied enough in my life not to feel compelled to ski steep - I go wher ethe snow is best, sometimes that can be the greens.

What I have found at WF is that you really need to be able to control your speed, the kind of carved turns you would do on another mountain will get you in trouble real fast.

Trails like Skyward have a nice steady pitch that goes on and on. Gores terrain tends to be more terraced, you get a break every now and then.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Keep sliding on whiteface.  You get good here you will rip the shit out of any resort in the East.  

CAT FIGHTTTTTT
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
KC I just read your post and there is a lot of valuable intermediate stuff in there.

How often do you ski Whiteface? Sounds like you've been there more than a few times. If so you must dig it? What's your favorite thing about it?

WF is challenging and naturally attracts experts in the same way Gore attracts tree skiers.Experts got to understand that Whiteface is intimidating to some intermediates.

My two cents as a tele skier for the Cliff Notes:

The last time I was there on a Slide day, the Slides opened late - maybe 11:15 or 11:30.  We were there at opening and I was skiing with rippers.  I was dying for them to open, feeling overmatched on Cloud and Sky but right at home in the Slides.  The tight steep bumps are easier for me to ski than the ripping fast steep groomers.

My favorites are Mac with bumps and Empire when it's open.  LOB is soo cool. When you come around that corner and see it... seems like it is often allowed to get huge bumps.

Never been on Hoyts. Can't wait.

photo by Highpeaksdrifter
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
No offense KC. Just clownin' around.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
CAT FIGHTTTTTT

w/ pillows and wearing only bras and panties????  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
freeheeln wrote
This is a very light hearted forum. You should have been around for the RSN forum.
Long Live the Legend of the RSN forum!!  O, those were the days!!  

and skiadk - all you had to do was type RSN and that crazy dude George or was it Greg or maybe it was Gillum would just go nuts!  so much fun....  

Hey!  It's Friday!!!  Good Friday Fun w/ PreacherGoose!!   
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
tjf1967 wrote
CAT FIGHTTTTTT

w/ pillows and wearing only bras and panties????  
WORD
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
freeheeln wrote
I cut my intranetz teeth on that RSN board----that WoodlandClown character used to pick on me---called me peepee all the time----i was very sensitive back then
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote

What I have found at WF is that you really need to be able to control your speed, the kind of carved turns you would do on another mountain will get you in trouble real fast.

Truer words never spoken---I'm good for a 1000 vert then I lose my legs---1000 vert at WF and you're just getting warmed up. Even worse this year having a bad wheel and all.

Like TJ said, if you rip at WF you can rip any_A_where's
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I cut my intranetz teeth on that RSN board----that WoodlandClown character used to pick on me---called me peepee all the time----i was very sensitive back then
Right. Mr Sensitive.

When I ski WF I use the Gondola to get up Little WF then as little as possible. With the exception of the Freeway lift, all the good stuff is up high. The runout below midstation is a long and boring. Stay above midstation and you will have a great day.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
OK heres the old mans spin on how to ski Whiteface " It is short and sweet "

Its Big , FN. Big , sharpen dem edges , relax , be chill., Enjoy the experience BUT bring a change o yer tighty whiteys  cuz ya dam well MAY need them

hay at Whiteface i am an. Intermediate and am not afraid to say so , it is an experience to be had whatever you do simply follow the best snow on the mtn and check your ego at the door .

have fun above all else and laff at your foibles and dont be overly concerned about what OTHERS think ' o yer game
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
freeheeln wrote
Woodlandclown was a biotch!  I like how ya'll back off when you find out KC is a girl...it does kind of make more sense though.  Sorry KC, we all hate hearing ice and whiteface all the time!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I noticed that as well.  Look Noah kicked a college freshmen in the teeth.  A girl no less.  Way to go Noah you big bully.  

Reply | Threaded
|

mikeC
Hello Whiteface experts.  I'm a first time poster but longtime visitor of nysb.

I'm taking the family to WF for the first time during the upcoming winter school break.  My kids are 7 and 5 years old and our home hill is Greek Peak.  Should we concentrate our skiing on the kids kampus or are there greens on other parts of the mountain that are worth/safe exploring?  Any advice on skiing WF with kids would be greatly appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If Friday Im bored.   Kids Kampus is going to be a zoo.  Unless you need the services I would stay away.  Take the kids up the bear chair.   When you get off go left.  Terrain over there is tame and not as much traffic.   If your kids can do that take them to the high speed quad down boreen.  Keep working your way up.  
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by freeheeln
KC your opinions are ALWAYS welcome here ,we all got 'em

hey dont let these guys get to ya at all , their bark is worse than their bite and part of the schtick that often goes along with most of us , bust on them its all good !

Have phun !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

mikeC
Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
tjf1967 wrote
I noticed that as well.  Look Noah kicked a college freshmen in the teeth.  A girl no less.  Way to go Noah you big bully.
Are we seeing a kinder more gentle Noah??? Could it really be??