Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Cliff Notes

campgottagopee
Pants wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
freeheeln wrote
you ll never survive here being thin skinned.turn your feelings off when you log in
This is a very light hearted forum. You should have been around for the RSN forum.
I cut my intranetz teeth on that RSN board----that WoodlandClown character used to pick on me---called me peepee all the time----i was very sensitive back then
Woodlandclown was a biotch!  I like how ya'll back off when you find out KC is a girl...it does kind of make more sense though.  Sorry KC, we all hate hearing ice and whiteface all the time!
hehe
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
There's NEVER a line at the bar when I get there

Someone has to help them take the stools down
Lookie here Jack!  The WF bar is called Mahogany Ridge - Jack!

Got that Jack!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
There's NEVER a line at the bar when I get there

Someone has to help them take the stools down
Lookie here Jack!  The WF bar is called Mahogany Ridge - Jack!

Got that Jack!
Don't B biotchin' at me, TJ called it a "bar". How the heck is a redneck from GP suppsed to know that-JACK!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by mikeC
mikeC wrote
Hello Whiteface experts.  I'm a first time poster but longtime visitor of nysb.

I'm taking the family to WF for the first time during the upcoming winter school break.  My kids are 7 and 5 years old and our home hill is Greek Peak.  Should we concentrate our skiing on the kids kampus or are there greens on other parts of the mountain that are worth/safe exploring?  Any advice on skiing WF with kids would be greatly appreciated.
Greens just the rest of the mountain are steeper than at other ski areas.  The so-called Boreen headwall would be Black at ski areas in NJ/ PA.  If your kids are power wedgers avoid this.  Start with the mixing bowl and bear chair before getting on the face lift.  Easy Street to Upper Boreen will get you around the Boreen headwall.  If your kids are making wedge turns do not get on the gondola the blues off that have some black sections.

I'd suggest a family lesson with the instructuor working with your kids and helping you understand how to coach your kids.  

also see my post on skiing with kids - there are quite a few of them in the archive

http://nyskiblog.com/author/coachz/
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This post was updated on .
This thread is nuts. I hope KC has been sufficiently apologized to. We already have about 100 or so grumpy WhiteFace experts, but no articulate college girls representing. Jeez.

Anyway, if it wasn't for the ICE none of you would be experts anyway... you'd be snobby "Only 8" new today, yawn" Utah skiers like tBatt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
If Friday Im bored.   Kids Kampus is going to be a zoo.  Unless you need the services I would stay away.  Take the kids up the bear chair.   When you get off go left.  Terrain over there is tame and not as much traffic.   If your kids can do that take them to the high speed quad down boreen.  Keep working your way up.
Kids Kampus will definitely be crazy, but if you "play it right", there are some ways you can avoid the craziness.

The Play N Ski group lessons go out from 10:00 - 11:30 and then again from 1:30 - 3:00.

If you avoid those "windows" it may not be too bad, especially if you can get to the mountain first thing, and get out to the KK lift right at 8:30. You should be able to get a few runs in there, before things get really crazy, and at that point, you can make your way over to the main mountain and use the Bear Lift and the Face Lift.

You can get back to Kids Kampus from Boreen, and if your kids aren't ready to handle Boreen, you can always take the Kids Kampus shuttle to get back from the main mountain.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
For kids, I really like that Bear area. Plus sometimes there's fresh snow over there that the beginners can't handle. Great suggestion by whoever posted it.
Reply | Threaded
|

mikeC
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Greens just the rest of the mountain are steeper than at other ski areas.  The so-called Boreen headwall would be Black at ski areas in NJ/ PA.  If your kids are power wedgers avoid this.  Start with the mixing bowl and bear chair before getting on the face lift.  Easy Street to Upper Boreen will get you around the Boreen headwall.  If your kids are making wedge turns do not get on the gondola the blues off that have some black sections.

I'd suggest a family lesson with the instructuor working with your kids and helping you understand how to coach your kids.  

also see my post on skiing with kids - there are quite a few of them in the archive

http://nyskiblog.com/author/coachz/
Coach... Thanks for the link.  The "abc's" article has great info!
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
Thanks for all your great suggestions.  The post got some great commentary and banter.  We did arrive there bright and early as recommended.  Once I studied the map when we got there, it all made sense. Funny thing, as I was studying the map and my printed copy of the suggestions from last week, about 2 printed pages at that time, (most KC, just kidding great info!), more locals came up and offered their 2 cents.  I was now completely overwhelmed.  

We decided to take the gondi route, as there was no line.  Long ride.  Big mountain. Felt liked a stretched Hunter with another 1000+ vertical.  Relatively steep and firm (occasionally icy).  The first thing we notice, the signs are horrible on the side of the trails at merge points and  we can't figure out how to link things together. So we just start skiing and figure it out as we go.  

The conditions were firm, with about an inch of fresh on top, so dust on boiler plate.  The more challenging issue was that we were in a cloud from 2/3 way up making the Summit challenging to ski.  Also, very windy, but so is Gore so you can't complain there.  

We ended up Skiing Follies from the top, boring.  A local made us believe that we couldn't ski anything else up there.  Too bad he freaked us out.  So we made up for it by skiing Hoyts. Flat but steep on top, big irregular bumps on the bottom.  My son champed it and I wish we skied Skyward or CloudSpin.  I made up for it the next day taking Tanner down Rumor for the first time in his life.  He's 6 y.o., so it was a big accomplishment for him.  I also gave a shout out to Harvey flying back onto Straightbrook chair right after we did Rumor while waiting for friends.  

Bottom line: WF cool mountain, but not anything to be overly intimidated about.  If you can ski, you can ski.  Thanks again everyone!

Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
telerider wrote
WF cool mountain, but not anything to be overly intimidated about.  If you can ski, you can ski.
That's definitely true, but, the problem is, a lot of people who THINK they can ski ... can't really ski!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by telerider
telerider wrote
 I made up for it the next day taking Tanner down Rumor for the first time in his life.  He's 6 y.o., so it was a big accomplishment for him.
Taking the Young'ns down a trail like Rumor is as much fun for you as it is for them, getting to the bottom and looking up and saying - you just skied that and watching the grin of accomplishment. Teach him how to ski deep powder and then you can take him anywhere. Before long you won't be able to keep up and it will be him that is taking you.