Whiteface Conditions (2010-2011)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Whiteface Thread

Face4Me
Today was a great day too ... I think trail of the day moved from Upper Northway to Victoria today. Conditions were great all over the mountain, but it sure was cold!!!! There seemed to be a bit of an inversion today which helped. Things are looking GREAT for next weekend.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
Hey guys... what is the status of the trees at Whiteface?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
they are close. 10th mt opened sunday but they closed again. very poachable but not too much of a base. a few more inches and they will be good. there are tracks down slide 5.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
A few pictures off of Whiteface's Facebook.

Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by Face4Me
what's up with Summit Quad chairlift ?

as of tonight WF website still has it as not operational.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
So WF has had a great amount of natural snow lately and the skiing has been phenomenal.  Another 10 inches Sat. nite on top of the 23 WF received earlier. Lots of people showed up for the $35 dollar Super Sunday lift tickets and great conditions. With just about everything open the multitude spread out nicely and neither the trails nor the lift lines felt crowded.

Regulars usual know where to go to find the best snow stashes, but I found my best one in an unlikely place early Sunday morning. My buddy and I were enjoying a great run down Upper and Lower Thruway, we decide to take Parkway Exit (a short connector trail) to the Freeway lift. We found ourselves in about 2 feet of perfect, lite, virgin powder. I just floated down in about 10 of the most enjoyable turns I’ve ever taken in my life and I’ve been at this for awhile. At the bottom we just looked at each other and laughed cause we couldn’t believe our good fortune.

I did the Sugar Valley Glades top to bottom and it skied really well. There is a ton of snow in there. I didn’t get a chance to ski a lot on Sunday, but I heard story after story from people on how well everything was skiing and how glad they were to be at Whiteface.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
So WF has had a great amount of natural snow lately and the skiing has been phenomenal.  Another 10 inches Sat. nite on top of the 23 WF received earlier. Lots of people showed up for the $35 dollar Super Sunday lift tickets and great conditions. With just about everything open the multitude spread out nicely and neither the trails nor the lift lines felt crowded.

Regulars usual know where to go to find the best snow stashes, but I found my best one in an unlikely place early Sunday morning. My buddy and I were enjoying a great run down Upper and Lower Thruway, we decide to take Parkway Exit (a short connector trail) to the Freeway lift. We found ourselves in about 2 feet of perfect, lite, virgin powder. I just floated down in about 10 of the most enjoyable turns I’ve ever taken in my life and I’ve been at this for awhile. At the bottom we just looked at each other and laughed cause we couldn’t believe our good fortune. 

I did the Sugar Valley Glades top to bottom and it skied really well. There is a ton of snow in there. I didn’t get a chance to ski a lot on Sunday, but I heard story after story from people on how well everything was skiing and how glad they were to be at Whiteface.
That is such a good feeling.

Be sure and save some of that for March 17th, mmmmmmmmmmmmmk??
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
WF is up to 160 inches of snowfall this season and its only Feb. 8th. Not only does it make for some of the best skiing in years, but they have not had to make snow (except a little at Kids Kampus) in weeks.

That’s a big savings that will have to help the bottom line. Maybe they can use that savings toward capital improvements like snow making on Hoyt’s High.   That’s just hopefull speculation on my part, I have no idea how ORDA’s budget process works.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
That's an excellent idea. Hopefully it comes to pass.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Harvey
Cloudy with a chance of wieners...

Matt, I think we're losing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Big week coming up and the mountain is in shape for it. I misplaced the charger for my camera so I missed alot of good shots this past weekend, hope it turns up soon. Thats all I got, just wanted this thread back on page 1.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
In reply to this post by tBatt
fujative wrote
Cloudy with a chance of wieners...

Matt, I think we're losing.
Damn telemark skiers, could dress them up or in this case down, but can't take them anywhere!
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
It's going to be scratchy up at WF after this week's thaw and this upcoming weekends freeze.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Scratchy is very optomistic. You'll need a jackhammer to scratch into the concrete by Saturday. Oh well, we had a good 6 week run without rain, by northeast standards that's close to a record in the past 30 yrs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Just think positive, but to play it safe, get the files out.
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
In reply to this post by endoftheline
I think most places in the East are gonna be a shitshow next weekend between the holiday and the thaw/freeze cycle.  That's why I'm headed to the Selkirks!
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
does that mean we will have to hear here about how wonderful you made them
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Conditions today were even better than yesterday. Another beautiful bluebird day ... it was a little cold at the start of the day, but things warmed up pretty quickly. Most of the mountain has now been groomed. Since yesterday, Lower Skyward, Upper Mackenzie and Lower Mackenzie were all groomed. Lower Skyward was really nice, but the Mackenzie's, especially Lower, could definitely use another pass with a groomer.

Upper Skyward to Niagara was the run of the day. They groomed it again, leaving a packed power/loose granular surface that was just great.

The mountain is skiing great right now, and the crowds both yesterday and today have been very small. Minimal waits at the lifts, with the worst being about 10 minutes, probably less, at the gondola. Tomorrow is forecast to be another bluebird day, so get here if you can!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Face4Me wrote
Conditions today were even better than yesterday. Another beautiful bluebird day ... it was a little cold at the start of the day, but things warmed up pretty quickly. Most of the mountain has now been groomed. Since yesterday, Lower Skyward, Upper Mackenzie and Lower Mackenzie were all groomed. Lower Skyward was really nice, but the Mackenzie's, especially Lower, could definitely use another pass with a groomer.

Upper Skyward to Niagara was the run of the day. They groomed it again, leaving a packed power/loose granular surface that was just great.

The mountain is skiing great right now, and the crowds both yesterday and today have been very small. Minimal waits at the lifts, with the worst being about 10 minutes, probably less, at the gondola. Tomorrow is forecast to be another bluebird day, so get here if you can!!!
I thought the best skiing was on Mt. Run and Parrons, great man a made on both. Also, upper section of High Country Glades skied really well. I miss the bumps on lower mac, but they had no choice..it had to be groomed. Bumps will be back with more snow and/or warmer temps.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which