classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1070 messages Options
12345 ... 54
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

Hoser
Let me guess,  either by the Ti exit on 87, or just before Stewarts in Keene.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
On 87 North of Chestertown (?) exit. Troopers were EVERYWHERE today. I got pulled over on an empty highway. I was going fast, but it was at the bottom of a long decline...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Not worth the speeding ticket I got on the way up.
I’m sure quite a few of us have been there......
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Usually don't stop you unless you are doing 80 plus. I always set the CC on 78 and haven't had any problems but you do have to watch the downhill because the old CC wont brake for you.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I got nailed once near the Northway end of 73, shortly after the split with 9.   On the way to Whiteface I was doing maybe 65 and the trooper was headed in the opposite direction on 73.  Saw him hit the brakes in my rear view, he turned around and lit me up.  If I recall correctly I plead not guilty and managed a satisfactory outcome through the mail.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
WF bar open by 12/23!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by endoftheline
endoftheline wrote
Usually don't stop you unless you are doing 80 plus. I always set the CC on 78 and haven't had any problems but you do have to watch the downhill because the old CC wont brake for you.
I wasn't aware that new cruise controls applied the brakes. We got a new car recently and I haven't had too much opportunity to use the cruise, but I don't think I've seen that happen.  It could be a setting, which I'll never know about because the owners manual is on a CD, which I have no way to access.

Regardless, I don't think I'd like a cruise that applies the brake. I'm looking to max out my mpg.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
The bar's been open for a while.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I was NOT looking forward to having to drink my Bloody Mary (s) in a fricken tent!  I mean....of course I would have, but I WOULDN’T have been happy about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
ScottyJack wrote
WF bar open by 12/23!
Smart move - I'm sure if it wasn't open all kinds of xmas week non-regulars would be bitching and whining about the state of the lodge during that week.  I'm imagining WF will see a lot of new first-timers this season with MaxPass...who may be coming to make their own assessment of a place they never been to, but might as well now that they can go on their MaxPasses.  Having that new bar complete would be part of leaving a good impression.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You are only going to get one chance to experience tent city.  Its not that great of an experience except for the customers.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Was kinda looking forward to having a beer in the tent...it's different!  Maybe this weekend i'll partake in this once in a lifetime opportunity
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Excellent conditions this weekend, especially Saturday which turned out to be a little surprise mini pow day

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Scotty
No chance that bar is open By the 23rd - may feb 23rd but not next Saturday

I’ll wager you a beer which of course you will need to buy me at Poormans.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
seems like the face has reported new snow almost every day past two weeks, more this morning.  Hows the skiing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Jon Lundin | jlundin@orda.org | (518) 523-1655
December 22, 2017
** PHOTO RELEASE **
Whiteface Mountain’s Summit Opens
WILMINGTON, N.Y. -- Just in time for the holidays, Whiteface Mountain, in Wilmington, N.Y., unwrapped its summit. Thanks to the combination of snowmaking and the more than seven inches of natural snow over the past 24 hours, ski patrol and mountain staff opened Paron’s Run, Riva Ridge and the Follies today, Friday, Dec. 22, for skiing and riding.

This holiday weekend, skiers and snowboarders can expect powder, packed powder conditions on 32 base inches of snow.

Starting tomorrow, Dec.23, First Tracks begins daily through Monday, Jan. 1, 2018. Skiers and riders can take an early morning guided run before the lifts and trails open to everyone else. First Tracks is limited to 14 intermediate and above level skiers and riders. For more details, or to register, email the mountain’s guest services desk, ski@whiteface.com.

Next Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018, it’s Give Back Sunday at Whiteface. The Olympic mountain has partnered with the Lake Placid Ecumenical Charity Program Food Pantry to restock the shelves after the holiday season. Bring a grocery bag of nonperishable food items to the main base lodge’s ticket window and receive 50% off your single-day lift ticket.

Also on Sunday, Jan. 7, Whiteface will host a slopestyle competition at the Brookside terrain park. The competition begins at 1 p.m. and the entry fee is just $10, helmets are required. Sign up at the guest services desk for your chance to come away with a great stash of prizes from our partner ski shops Cunningham’s Ski Barn, Lake Placid Ski & Board, Maui North and Viking Ski Shop.

Summit PHOTOS can be found HERE. Photos courtesy of ORDA/ Whiteface Lake Placid.

For more information about these events and all of the events and activities on ORDA’s Olympic venues, visit www.WhitefaceLakePlacid.com.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/whitefacemountain/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
Scotty No chance that bar is open By the 23rd - may feb 23rd but not next Saturday
I’ll wager you a beer which of course you will need to buy me at Poormans.
Instead of buying me a beer at the new cloudsplitter today I will accept, for payment, you apologizing to AK for your lack of support and doubting their resolve to overcome hurdles in pursuit of excellence.

Bars fucking open for Christmas!

Hell yeah WF!  

Mike Pratt for the win!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack

EXCELSIOR!  

New York is the best State!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Wow! Amazing that they pulled it off! Kudos to every one of those contractors for getting it done!
Gotta go to know
12345 ... 54