This post was updated on .
New arrival at Whiteface

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

D.B. Cooper
Right on!  Put 'er to use!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Lots of awesome stuff going on at WF.  New snow guns, regrading of green terrain, and loads of lodge construction on both main and bears den.  Lots of thought and good ideas went into this but this season is going to be a work in progress.  Everyone is going to need to be patient for what is to come.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Let’s Make Snow
WILMINGTON, N.Y. --- Whiteface Mountain, in Wilmington, N.Y., turned on the snowguns today, Tuesday, Nov. 7, and began making snow for its planned Friday, Nov. 24, opening for skiing and riding.

Crews have begun blowing snow from Connector to the mountain’s base.

Photos from today’s snowmaking can be found HERE. Photos courtesy of ORDA/ Whiteface Lake Placid
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Whiteface is opening Friday.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This Friday Nov 17 or next Nov 24?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
My mistake. I misread it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Whiteface just posted on Facebook they are opening THIS weekend! And coincidentally I’m going to be in Lake Placid this weekend for some other stuff - but this would be the earliest I’ve skied...ever.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
The face open Saturdayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Excellent coverage today - skied first thing in the morning...gondola down via excelsior...can't believe I was skiing on Nov 18th...
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My day 2 today.  Better than last Saturday for sure.  

Essex and lower Northway open but under guns.  Also blowing Victoria.  Guessing maybe Saturday it would be open.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Gondi ran on diesel due to an electrical issue today.  The lodge construction is a cluster f of Epic porotions and will be for a long long time.  Serious labor issues ongoing with full timers a plenty losing thier health coverage and the boys in orange doing all kinds of stuff to fill in.  

But the skiing was darn good.  Trying to focus on the good stuff becuase the other stuff is going to drive us all to drink - oh I forgot there is no bar to drink in unless you like tents.  Poor Mans is going to be a hopping.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Z wrote
The lodge construction is a cluster f of Epic porotions and will be for a long long time.  
You know, my wife and I were in Lake Placid in early October and we took a leaf-peeping ride out to Whiteface.  I saw the construction and wondered how they were going to get it finished by opening of the season.  I guess the answer was that they didn't.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Good weekend at WF.  Great coverage and stayed a bit soft to allow bumping up by noon.  Kudos to the WF snowmakers.  Excelsior stayed sweet all weekend.  Oh the lodge is interesting, its fine if you go to your normal table to boot up, but good luck with it during the Xmas vacation.   Crowd as expected on Sat, 10 minute Gondi line, Sunday really really quiet.  Literally less than ten people in line at Gondi a couple times in the morning.  Hey their loss, my gain, it really was worth the trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Hoser wrote
 the lodge is interesting, its fine if you go to your normal table to boot up, but good luck with it during the Xmas vacation.  
What's going on with the lodge?    Some sort of construction that should have been done by October?
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Prob won’t do justice to the details but here goes.  Check out the WF site for the plan.  Anyway I always enter from the upper tunnel by NYSEF and patrol and the whole back area from the info desk back to tunnel entrance is closed.Includes retail and the cafe that I thought was new.   Upstairs closed.  The bar is in a tent I think.  When entering the main level from the outside stairs have to pass by tent and people outside of tent smoking.   Or enter downstairs   Bathrooms ok downstairs. Supposed to be upstairs bathrooms going in plus elevator. No idea where.  Construction also from food area back through ausable room.    Ok for a normal day but good luck on holiday or with 200 racers in there

Don’t get me wrong.  The outside looks awesome now w new cedar.   Great to see benefits of our tax dollars.   Just will be challenging for a while.   Yes timing is definitely off a season or two.  Will be good though.  Not complaining just warning
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Hoser wrote
The bar is in a tent I think.
The bar is in a tent on the lower deck, next to the door that used to go to guest services.  The bar itself is getting a new roof line with large windows looking out to the hill.
Hoser wrote
Supposed to be upstairs bathrooms going in plus elevator. No idea where.
Upstairs bathrooms will be near MSA (ski patrol).  Elevator will be next to the stairs again, where guest services used to be.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Want to start a pool for the date when the main lodge will get done?  They are just starting the new roof and then need to rip to old roof off underneath the new roof.  I’ll go with End of May ready for summer season.  

The next big FUBAR moment is they need to dig a new septic pit between the bar and Nysef building.  No idea why that was not done before the ground froze.  The problem is that until all that and the roof construction is done they can’t open Boreen or Brookside.  There is a work road that runs under the low part of the facelift that they used open in good snow years.  It has a very low overhead to the facelift though. That may be the work around.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Santas Ski for Free Sunday at Whiteface Mountain

WILMINGTON, N.Y. – ‘Tis the season for snow, skiing, and Santa.  Whiteface Mountain, in Wilmington, N.Y., is celebrating with Santas Ski Free Day on Sunday, Dec.10.

Skiers and riders, who dress as Mr. or Mrs. Claus, participate in a group photo and arrive by 10 a.m., receive a free lift ticket to ski or ride the Olympic mountain. Those who do not have a jolly red suit can donate a new toy (valued over $10) or a gently used winter coat and receive 50% off a lift ticket for the day. The toys will be distributed through the Boy Scouts of America, while the Saranac Lake High School Key Club will deliver the coats to individuals in need.

Weekend festivities also include the Lake Placid Holiday Village Stroll from Dec.8-10. With a skating party, Santa meet and greets and a bustling Main Street filled with holiday shopping deals, live music, and a tree lighting ceremony, the holiday tradition makes for a spirited and merry occasion at Whiteface Lake Placid.

Photos from last December’s Santas Ski Free Day at Whiteface Mountain can be found HERE. Photos courtesy of ORDA/ Whiteface Lake Placid

Media interested in covering the Sunday’s event at Whiteface Mountain, contact Jon Lundin, ORDA communications, Tel: 518-523-1655 ext. 5313, Email: JLundin@orda.org.

Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by HGTVfan
Current Conditions: WIND HOLD

Not worth the speeding ticket I got on the way up.

The snow looks like it will be good when someone can get to it.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
1234 ... 54