Whiteface Conditions (2018 - 2019)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
156 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

DomB
Conditions were soft in the morning yesterday but around noon the the temperature dropped, leading to very firm conditions with some corn and tree shadow snow on the sides.   They closed mountain run as I was thinking about it-I have never seen an angled ice rink before 🙂.  Victoria shoot was bony.  

I had a great lesson with Chip and highly reccommend him.   My first lesson and second ski day since meniscus and acl repair surgery and forth day on new skis so it was nice to get out there for a brush up!

Z, I recall you are from Jersey ☺️
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
DomB wrote
Conditions were soft in the morning yesterday but around noon the the temperature dropped, leading to very firm conditions with some corn and tree shadow snow on the sides.   They closed mountain run as I was thinking about it-I have never seen an angled ice rink before 🙂.  Victoria shoot was bony.  

I had a great lesson with Chip and highly reccommend him.   My first lesson and second ski day since meniscus and acl repair surgery and forth day on new skis so it was nice to get out there for a brush up!

Z, I recall you are from Jersey ☺️
Chip is great.  He and Bill Fischer are the top guys there.  If I feel something is not right in my skiing they are the guys I have watch me to see what is going on.

I lived in NW jersey for 10 years but I’m not from there.  Up right next to the Del Water Gap National Rec Area great little towns and farms and small mts.  S9me really excellent Mt Biking.  I’ve seen both the good and bad of Jersey.  Worst drivers in the country.  Like to ski for  sure. Awesome restaurants and best tomatoes and sweet corn in the world.  I think I’ve earned the right to make fun of it.  

Some Volvo from NJ this morning had its Thule box c clamped on the roof rack.  My son spotted it after I noticed the box was on crooked.  Amazing that stayed on all the way up the thruway and Northway.  If you see a ski box laying on the road you’ll know where it came from.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Z wrote
great little towns and farms and small mts.  Some really excellent Mt Biking.  I’ve seen both the good and bad of Jersey.  Worst drivers in the country.  Like to ski for  sure. Awesome restaurants and best tomatoes and sweet corn in the world.  I think I’ve earned the right to make fun of it.  
I'm from the western Syracuse burbs but have lived in NJ for 15 years. That's ^^ a good overview, although I disagree about the sweet corn -- CNY silver queen FTW, nothing like it. Go live out west for a while and you'll learn what shitty corn tastes like.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Z
I saw a lot of Jersey plates today!   Conditions were similar to yesterday.  Maybe at the end of today they were worse than yesterday: on some runs with high skier traffic it was various amounts of sugar over ice.  

We are traveling with another family with kids at similar ages and having a great time!  We missed the fireworks last night because we were so tired. We were out walking on Mirror Lake tonight.  Really beautiful!

There are great things in Jersey, just like everywhere else.  And I am from Long Island, so I am sure there are plenty of jokes to be made.  
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Any recent updates, deciding if worth the drive this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Looks like a solid 6" overnight in Placid.  Moderate snowfall now.  Haven't been to the hill today.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Whiteface reporting 3-7" and the vid they posted on social media this afternoon looked pretty good
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
We had about 5” at my house at 1300 feet elevation

It was very dry fluffy stuff.  My son said that under the fluff it is bullet proof on hill.  He had me double tune his SL skis just now.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
We should be in a much better spot by next weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Pretty good conditions today.....Paron's, Vic, etc. It helped that the skier traffic was not at weekend level and, despite the inconvenience of the Little Whiteface chair not running, it probably kept Mountain Run in decent shape much of the day.

Snowmaking on Wilderness, presumably for the upcoming bump competition.  Almost none elsewhere.  More open terrain is desperately needed.  Without trails like Skyward (up & low), Mac, Parkway, it skis much smaller.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Two very different but great days this weekend. Saturday was bluebird with nice temps all day. Busy in the morning but crowds seemed to die down after lunch. Best snow was up top. Mountain Run was fun with piles of snow down skiers right even after it got scraped. Greens were still nice and carvable late in the afternoon. Sunday it snowed lightly all day. An inch or two made things fun until the wind picked up and made some trails windswept boilerplate. Even so the snow held up well all day. First Hovey for us. Great weekend. The snow this week should open up some more terrain. They still were only really blowing wilderness with a few other guns on here and there.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
What's going on up there...snow reporting seems sketchy/spotty so far this year. (i.e. 5-12" on conditions page yesterday, 3-5" today...posting these wide ranges....)

I think most lift on hold today so far so maybe no one has been up there yet.

But how much has it actually snowed from this storm in town?  Hopefully the totals are descent overall when its all said and done.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
May be hard to tell winds over 50mph today
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Problem with the wind is what snow that fell is now in VT

I hate to sound like Sno here but I’m beginning to think that Lookout won’t be blown and am getting really concerned if Skyward is going to ever open.  

I’ll just put it out there that if Skyward doesn’t get blown soon MP might as well start prepping his resume.  I’m sure some mohill in the Midwest is looking for a GM.  You can only live off the benefits of Snonovember for so long.  Time to fix the snowmaking system drag out the old guns and blow like crazy for the next 2 months or I hope you like the Packers or Vikings.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Z wrote
I hate to sound like Sno here but I’m beginning to think that Lookout won’t be blown
I'd bet against it.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Are they blowing sky?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Guns are staged to blow Skyward.  Were not really blowing anywhere today except for spot blowing in some high traffic areas.  Seemed a bit odd considering the low temps.  Maybe in afternoon.  I had to leave at lunch time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
WF skied well today.   Gondi issues see other thread.   Follies was good early and parons ok later.  Victoria excellent around 10:30 and ok around 1.   Heard the afternoon prior (sat) it was horrible so nice recovery.    

RotD wilderness as blowing top and building course on skiers right.   Stayed skiers left for man made freshies and soft the bottom half.  Mt Run good right under the lift.   Drapers has a GS and those d1 kids looked good but wow it appeared fast and slick.    Upper valley iced up  boreen softish all day.   Skyward increased to ten guns by 1pm.   It’s coming slowly.   Overall exceeds my expectations.  Sky deep blue and zero wind so temps ok after 11 or so.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Skyward was open today ... it was man-made and it was spectacular!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Light and deep at WF.  First tracks on Sky with boot top to knee deep in the hollows blower.  Snowing hard all morning.....still going!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!