classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface early opening rumor

ausable skier
good point on the injuries

my personal experience with the pipe I was not coming out above the lip.  The pipe seems like it could be used by many different levels and with different manitudes of air.  Rails, boxes, big air jumps do not afford the range of public usage like the pipe does.  

If you care about how well you turn then you need to care about your skis and your tune.  Jumping onto Hard objects are not compatible with making good turns.

Since there is a park now that means there is no reason to be hucking off every little spot in regular trails.  Hucking off stuff in the middle or side of a busy run is just as disrespectful and unsafe as if I decided to go sit for 10 minutes on top of one of the parks features.  I saw a kid almost hit a little kid today by jumping off something in the trail.  If you hurt someone elses kid how would you feel about that?  Grow Up!

A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Thats why my park skis are beater skis from 4 seasons ago.

I was exaggerating about being the asshole. Believe-it-or-not, I'm actually aware of my surroundings. Shocking, I know. Skiing switch has no less field of vision than a snowboarder does regularly. When I do it, I'm typically not on a busy run.

And lastly, wasn't the NASTAR course under the face lift? As in, not on any of the runs the Olympics were actually held on? If it's not on any of the Olympic runs and none of the trails that were raced on are closed, how does it change anything regarding relationship to the Olympics?
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Its not accomplish free riders like you that I'm worried about - its the wanna be's that don't have the skills or experience to emulate what they see on youtube that are dangerous

The ladies downhill went down the boreen headwall and across ladies bridge  then right thru where the start for Nastar was before the start shack was moved to become the shovel storage shed for the park crew.  That statement alone shows where Nastar ranks with management compared to the multiple parks.  Racing is in Whiteface's DNA.  The park is more like a recent mutation that may or may not become cancer.  Skiing is about turning not hucking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Attn: Face4Me!! Attn: Face4Me!!!

ScottyJack
You got some internet gold here!!!

ausable skier wrote
Its not accomplish free riders like you that I'm worried about - its the wanna be's that don't have the skills or experience to emulate what they see on youtube that are dangerous

The ladies downhill went down the boreen headwall and across ladies bridge  then right thru where the start for Nastar was before the start shack was moved to become the shovel storage shed for the park crew.  That statement alone shows where Nastar ranks with management compared to the multiple parks.  Racing is in Whiteface's DNA.  The park is more like a recent mutation that may or may not become cancer.  Skiing is about turning not hucking.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
That was LARRY!!!
+2

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Larry off the Charts Larry!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
the basic park features kept a horde of young males (some in cotton tee shirts ) sequestered all day to one zone on the mtn.  This ensured these wild testosterone pumping, puberty peaking young males were not expending their youthful exuberance marauding down yesterday's limited terrain.  

IMHO, that certainly added to what was a very enjoyable preseason day on our beloved WF!

Hey AS how about a little less   and a lot more

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
And they probably had 15 layered cotton tshirts that were down to their knees and 3 layered cotton hoodies over that.

Silly skittlekids.
says the semi-skittlekid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Was trying to figure out how to break this thread apart, but Scotty brings it full circle.

In my opinion WF (plus Gore and Bell) are "businesses." If you can serve more customers without a lot of cost, you probably go for it.  I'm guessing that's the thinking.  I saw a few pics of the rails and it didn't look like a ton of snow to serve the kids. From a marketing POV it probably makes it easier to appeal to a family if you have some rails.

I don't know about the danger/safety aspect, I dont really know the facts. I do know that we tried to get SANY to cosponsor one of Nick Z's video, but it had an "invert" in it so they said they couldn't be associated with it.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
  In these days of child couch potatoes praise to ski areas like Whiteface and others that during limited early season conditions cater to youth to bring them out for some early season sessions. Aussie I know your kid wants twin tips he is just afraid to tell you. Turning spinning hucking are all part of skiing. Free skiing is here to stay.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
He really is a turd.  How he could not see the potential CLUSTER if all those kids were out on the hill I have no idea.  Now the only people speeding through crowd are Ausable types, but of course he owns the hill cause he bought a 400 dollar season pass the past 15 years.

Your wrong on this Ausable admit it and move on, your looking like some dumbass from Ausable.
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
 you must ride park as well as be able to turn a ski to be complete. very much to learn young jedi apprentice
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by tjf1967
TJF

Besides your creative snow measurement reports I've never seen a creative thought from you posted here

I've had it with the personal attacks.  Its one thing to fight for your opinions its another to attack people.  I'm done here.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Gunny J
+1  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
 I'm done here.
I hope you don't mean that you're done with posting, just responding to other poster's nonsense?  Anyhow, the pics from WF this weekend looked promising for Thanksgiving weekend.  
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
I dont have all the answers or a 20 year prognostication, but I do agree with the original insurance and cost prediction in this thread.

As "Park" becomes more and more extreme, more and more people will get hurt (of even die).  As more and more get hurt, insurance prices will rice (this is a non-debatable aspect).  As insurance prices will rise, so too will lift tickets.

As lift tickets rise, some areas will look at the calculus relating to a cost/benefit analysis of increased revenue from attracting park skiers and the lost revenue to lower-dollar lift ticket operators.

My prediction?  Some areas will scrap Park altogether, some areas will keep Park.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
    Aus keep posting we need the entertainment the world would be too boring if everyone thought alike.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Gunny J wrote
Aus keep posting we need the entertainment the world would be too boring if everyone thought alike.
I agree. We need different opinions and points of view. We also need your lunchtime snow updates from WF.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Just thought I'd add this cool video I saw over on Newschoolers to the topic (from Whiteface's opening day). Like park features or hate them, you have to admit that this is impressive:

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Hippy killers n whirly birds n shiii. Stuff makes my knees cringe.