Whiteface early opening rumor

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface early opening rumor

endoftheline
Heard from a longtime passholder that WF will open 11/16/12 with just the facelift. Anyone else heard anything on this. Nothing on the website.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface early opening rumor

Harvey
Administrator
Face Lift will spin tomorrow.

Get it! (and take a pic!)

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
from FB

"To all our skiers and riders who stuck with us through thick and thin. It looks like were headed for a ‘thick’ season (as in snow depth), so let’s enjoy the snow now & open early. Come jump on the Face Lift & shred Upper Valley, Lower Valley & Fox, this Sat. & Sun. for only $25, 8:30am-4:00pm. THIS IS JUST THE BASICS, nothing but snow, lift, box, rail, lodge, food & drink, no more, no less.*** All trails and lifts are subject to change, no beginner terrain, nursery or Kids Kampus programs.*** — at Whiteface."
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Face Lift will spin tomorrow.

Get it! (and take a pic!)

Not a rumor - ITS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But its not tomorrow - you need to wait one more day until Saturday.  They will close after Sunday and reopen on the Friday after Turkey day.

Harv - you coming up for opening day?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Amazing, they are opening on Sat the 17th, guess my source was off by a day. What is more amazing is that as of 30 seconds ago there is still nothing on the WF website, still says opening day is 11/23/12. Gotta love a government operation. Think I'll pass on Sat, been there before for opening day w one trail, you can count on a cluster F.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
^^^  We won't miss you in the least bit.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
In reply to this post by endoftheline
It is on the website and all over social media and local news.  But, I guess you have to try and find something to complain about!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
This post was updated on .
To all our skiers and riders who stuck with us through thick and thin. It looks like were headed for a ‘thick’ season (as in snow depth), so let’s enjoy the snow now & open early. Come jump on the Face Lift & shred Upper Valley, Lower Valley & Fox, this Sat. & Sun. for only $25, 8:30am-4:00pm. THIS IS JUST THE BASICS, nothing but snow, lift, box, rail, lodge, food & drink, no more, no less.*** All trails and lifts are subject to change, no beginner terrain, nursery or Kids Kampus programs.***

Huh???  I don't see how the just the basics needs to include a box and rail.  Its supposed to be skiing pure and simple and that means turning right and then left repeat as needed.  How is hucking onto metal or wood objects the basics????
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yea sorry about my misinfo. Basically a misunderstanding between me and a very reliable source. Doh!

Aussie, you're busting right?  The box and rail is a low cost way to make a group of skiers and riders happy on opening day serving more customers.

I remember in 2009, Gore couldn't get a trail open to the base from Bear for opening day. I think Jamboree was the only trail on opening day. I lapped it, 200 feet of vert, maybe 8 times.

Anyway, they blew a pile on the top of the Gondi had only a rail or some feature.  I rode the Gondi up to the top, just to ride the lift and check out the stoke. It was pretty cool I thought.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I don't see park features as being something the is any way essential to the skiing experience.  It is helpful to give teenagers something to do besides hucking themselves off every drop off though.

Parks are just a fad that is some point are going to go away - why you ask?  Money.  They cost huge amounts to blow and maintain.  Plus the hidden cost is the insurance.  Ask any ski patrol where the carnage is and they will tell you the park.  Insurance companies are going to be raising rates on ski areas based on thier parks and at some point enough will be enough.  Either that or you see ads in the park - this rail brought to you by Lake Placid Orthopedics - come to us after you break your leg.  High Peaks Dental brings you this reel to jump on and remember we fix broken teeth.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
ausable skier wrote
Huh???  I don't see how the just the basics needs to include a box and rail.  Its supposed to be skiing pure and simple and that means turning right and then left repeat as needed.  How is hucking onto metal or wood objects the basics????
Harvey44 wrote
Aussie, you're busting right?  The box and rail is a low cost way to make a group of skiers and riders happy on opening day serving more customers.
ausable skier wrote
I don't see park features as being something the is any way essential to the skiing experience.  It is helpful to give teenagers something to do besides hucking themselves off every drop off though.

Parks are just a fad that is some point are going to go away - why you ask?  Money.  They cost huge amounts to blow and maintain.  Plus the hidden cost is the insurance.  Ask any ski patrol where the carnage is and they will tell you the park.  Insurance companies are going to be raising rates on ski areas based on thier parks and at some point enough will be enough.  Either that or you see ads in the park - this rail brought to you by Lake Placid Orthopedics - come to us after you break your leg.  High Peaks Dental brings you this reel to jump on and remember we fix broken teeth.  
Harv, I recently took a course called "Reading Between the Lines". It was really fascinating. Let me show you how it works ...

What it says: I don't see park features as being something the is any way essential to the skiing experience.
What it means: I don't like the park or use it, so there's no reason for it to exist.

What it says: It is helpful to give teenagers something to do besides hucking themselves off every drop off though.
What it means: At least it keeps the teenagers off my hill and out of my way.

What it says: Parks are just a fad that is some point are going to go away
What it means: Even though I used to say that snowboarding is a fad that's going to go away, this time I'm right.

What it says:  why you ask?  Money.  They cost huge amounts to blow and maintain.  Plus the hidden cost is the insurance.
What it means: Even though ski races and Nastar courses add to a mountain's operating costs, I don't mind those added costs, because racing is important to me.

What it says: Ask any ski patrol where the carnage is and they will tell you the park.
What it means: Racers are so well trained and disciplined, they never get hurt.

What it says: Insurance companies are going to be raising rates on ski areas based on thier parks and at some point enough will be enough.
What it means: Hopefully, they'll close all the parks so that those same people who are in the parks now, will be out on the regular trails jumping off anything else they can find, crashing into other skiers, and other good fun like that.

What it says: Either that or you see ads in the park - this rail brought to you by Lake Placid Orthopedics - come to us after you break your leg.  High Peaks Dental brings you this reel to jump on and remember we fix broken teeth.
What it means: I'm just glad that I don't ever have to look at advertisements while I'm watching a ski race. It's not like they have advertisements at the start house, finish line, along the course and on the gates.

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Well, I was gonna go off on him, but I think F4M took care of it.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Face4Me
That was LARRY!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
thx face
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
It was amusing until you went off the rails with the nastar comment.  WF dropped Nastar so they could spend more on parks.    WF will forever be tied to the Olympics and racing and now WF does not have any way for the public to experience that.  Stupid Stupid Stupid.

All it is going to take to doom Parks is a few deaths and mega lawsuits.  Unfortunately it will take someone's kid dying to stop this insanity.  Parks make skiing less safe as a whole because the kids have learned to like hucking themselves off just about anything available on the way to park at mach 5 skiing switch.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Wait, so the only thing that tied Whiteface to the olympics was Nastar?
Halfpipe skiing is in the olympics. Whiteface has a halfpipe. Shaun White has competed in it before.

I think that more people have died in avy deaths than in the terrain park. Therefore any sidecountry skiing should be banned. Close the slides! People die and kill others because they decide to drive drunk, bring back prohibition! Hell, people die in car crashes totally sober. We should probably just ban driving in general. Also, we should totally just teach kids that abstinence is the only way of life. Contraceptives are work of the DEVIL.

According to your signature, you're looking pretty dumb right about now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
It was amusing until you went off the rails with the nastar comment.
I tried.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by tBatt
Unfortunately neither Snowboarding or Shaun White were not yet born when the Olympics were in LP in 1980 so I don't get your point of a connection to Whiteface.  Unfortunately the pipe has also bitten the dust in the quest for more park budget at WF.  I really enjoyed using the half pipe.  I'm all for snow based features.  The thing I don't get is the need to huck onto wood and metal objects which also are great at breaking bones.  You thing you learn as you get older is you only get one set of original body parts - these are precious things that once broke will never be the same again.

tBatt - I also recall a post where you said something along the lines of once I realized that there was more to skiing and learned to turn skiing became better / more fun.  I think that was you wasn't it.  If not maybe it was Fujective or one of the other park guys on the forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Surprise! I am fujative. Name change.
Yeah, but because someone skis park doesn't mean they don't know how to ski at all. Take what I learned from park and what I learned from racing, put it all together, and now I'm that asshole skiing switch at mach III jumping off things that aren't in the park.

Skiing pipe, launching you 20 feet out of an already 22 foot tall wall. If you mess up you're either coming down ~20 feet, sideways, onto an icy coping or your dropping ~40 feet to flat, again, on your side.

Whiteface's bigger jumps are about a 55 foot gap. Overshoot one of those badly, and you're falling from ~30 feet up and launching 60+ feet out onto hardpacked snow. That, compared to falling over onto something metal, is gonna hurt a lot worse. I've broken my collar bone hitting jumps, worse I've gotten is a bruised hip on a rail. In general, people get WAY more wrecked on jumps and in the pipe than they do on rails. Almost all the major injuries in the freestyle scene have been from a jump or pipe.