54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface tips

Snowballs
Banned User
ml242 wrote
Oh, and tint the windows so you don't get carjacked.
Hehehe. Yea, watch out for that old lady boosting cars.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I've got at least 10 days at Whiteface and have skied almost every trail, so I know it reasonably well.  Typically when comparing it to other eastern mountains, I find the trails at Whiteface are rated one notch down than trails of similar pitch at other mountains.  Of course there are exceptions.  Valley and Excelsior are accurately rated blue and are similar to blue-rated trails at other mountains.  The Wilmington Trail is a harder blue, but I don't think it deserves a black rating.  

Boreen is rated green, but I'd see that being rated blue at another mountain.  Paron's Run is definitely of black pitch and so is Victoria.  Skyward would be double black at any other mountain, no question.  Hoyt's, Essex, Cloudspin, Empire, and Mackenzie would also likely get a double black rating anywhere else on the ec.  I don't ski Parkway/Thruway much because they aren't usually in good shape in the spring (when I primarily ski WF), so I can't comment on those.

You can scream at how bad of a skier I am (I'm actually a very good skier), but it has no meaning here.  I'm comparing how difficult trails at WF are to me relative to other ec mountains.  At WF, I find that most trails ski one difficulty rating higher than what they actually have.  Some mountains ski accurately to their rating, and others, like Okemo ski one rating below what the trails are actually rates.
Trail ratings are RELATIVE to the resort at which they are located, so obviously trails at Whiteface are going to be more difficult than trails at another mountain with the same difficulty rating.

As for the statement that "Whiteface just isn't ideally suited to anyone less than a type 3 skier", JTG4eva! has already explained the stupidity of that statement.

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Liquid and Solids for sure!  But only order the drinks from the menu.   

The View in the Mirror Lake Inn is a cool place too.

The North Pole campground store in Wilmington sells really good beer.  They also have a decent wine store.  

This Friday will be awesome!  Great snowmaking week on tap.  

Don't go FaceLift directly to Summit quad.  You will freeze your wife!

Start your wife on Easy Street to Boreen.  If the Boreen headwall doesn't scare her she can ski Victoria.  Victoria gets slick quick so hit it earlier.  Paron and Folly's off summit also are must hits.

And don't park at Kids Campus.  Especially if you want to hang out a bit in Cloudspin after skiing.  

Where in Wilmington are you staying?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by Face4Me
snoloco wrote
"Type 3 skier"
Which brings me to my next tangent and the subject of a post to come soon....Whole DIN chart thing is "coarse" and needs refining. Not to mention the "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" factor. Would venture to guess there are mucho un-humble skiers out there checking the binding mount/set lever at level 3 who are barely level 1.5. At my age I set myself with a DIN calculation of 2.5, based on my physical attributes, including my level of conditioning pre-season. The level 1 2 3 is biased and not refined enough to really dial anyone in to where they belong IMHO. Not to mention the "window" sizes associated with the DIN charts age, weight, and height. Weight and height not so bad..age spans ridiculously large. And no conditioning factor variable either. Looks like I pretty much covered it here, but we should move this to another area to keep original thread on track.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
print out what face4me wrote and that's all you need.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This type skier rating thing? Isn't that for renting ski gear or something? I mean....you guys really pay attention to that stuff?

Either way, this probably is grounds for a ski off. I don't know what that actually means but if we watch some bad 80's comedy/ski flicks I think we will figure something out.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
if you decide to hike for a change you could check out Owls Head Mountain and the Mountaineer (nice shop in Keene Valley)
 Bro put the meth down, are you trying to get a high score on post count? Your 6 one thought posts could have easily been compiled into one really lame useless post.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
skunkape wrote
 Bro put the meth down, are you trying to get a high score on post count? Your 6 one thought posts could have easily been compiled into one really lame useless post.

Noted.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by skunkape
If they manage to get the Wilmington trail open, ski it first. Despite its blue rating, it can be a tough trail for a skier at your wife's level. The conditions really change how it skis. You will have no problem skiing Wilmington, just use your own judgment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
x10003q wrote
If they manage to get the Wilmington trail open, ski it first. Despite its blue rating, it can be a tough trail for a skier at your wife's level. The conditions really change how it skis. You will have no problem skiing Wilmington, just use your own judgment.
..and if it dumps (fingers crossed), your wife may be reduced to a lower level skier and be miserable if the snow level gets deeper than she is used to skiing. My wife, a relatively strong skier on black groomers at WF found herself in 2' of fresh non-powder on the Wilmington trail last season. I was on Hoyt's and got the full report at the base after she muscled her way down through it. Would consider her way more fit than most. She told me of the "horrors" of others trying to ski it. Not sure what the weather is reporting for this weekend, but something to consider if a nice dump graces your presence while at the mountain. Lets hope so.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
x10003q wrote
If they manage to get the Wilmington trail open

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by skunkape
skunkape wrote
useless
Hey ! That's Skimore's mantra !  
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Jon951
Hey everyone - thanks so much.  You guys have delivered the goods.  Much appreciated.

Yes, getting a weekend away without our two awesome, energy-filled little ones is a special occasion.  Pretty psyched for the trip for that reason, the mountain/skiing, and the opportunity to see Lake Placid.  And yes - we'll do something nice for the sitters (my in laws).  My next post will be asking for gift ideas.  Not sure what Glade will say about that one.  

Thanks again.

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Very helpful!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by DomB
A few tips not yet mentioned

If your wife hasn't skied much this year you may want to take a few warm up runs off the Bear Chair before heading up the face lift.

The Gondi is a big jump up for a low intermediate from the Facelift.  

The French toast at the Country Bear in Wilmington is not to be missed.  A new place for drinks or even dinner is High Falls Gorge just a few miles west of WF on Rt 86.  The food is top notch and the prices reasonable.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Alpine Lodge . . . . Hope we made the right lodging choice.  Doesn't exactly seem romantic.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I would add dinner at The Belvedere in Saranac Lake is a must. Place is right out of 50's and the food is excellent.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote

How the hell else should they order them?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cadence Lodge
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by DomB
Lots of good advice here.  Take your wife up the Face Lift (High Speed Quad at the base) and take Easy Way, skier's left off the lift, down to Boreen which will take her back down to the base on beautiful Green cruisers.  The very beginning of Boreen (which starts at Mid) may look a bit intimidating to a true beginner but provided she can negotiate that she'll have a nice cruise to the base.  
Visit us at cadencelodge.com http://www.cadencelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
ScottyJack wrote

How the hell else should they order them?
They will not make a Harvey wall banger.  So don't go there expecting to order a white Russia.  You get what they make and its good.  

Does that make sense?  Do you understand now?  Would you like me to draw you a picture or simple diagram?  Do you understand English or do you southern tier hill billys speak a different tongue?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!