Whiteface tips

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
54 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface tips

ScottyJack
clean, comfortable and conveniently located just five minute drive from Whiteface.

Another reasonably priced and cool place in town is Cadence Lodge.  

Wilmington is a cozy, homey town.  

You want romantic, that's the Mirror Lake Inn in LP....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cadence Lodge
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
The French toast at the Country Bear in Wilmington is not to be missed.  A new place for drinks or even dinner is High Falls Gorge just a few miles west of WF on Rt 86.  The food is top notch and the prices reasonable.
This is solid advice.  Had lunch at the High Falls Gorge a few weeks ago and it was quite good.  I think they're new to the food game but they're doing it right.  Also, a shout out to Up A Creek for breakfast, which is on 86 on the right as you head to the mountain less than a mile from where you are staying.  Country Bear is good too though - especially the French Toast.  Get your liquor and wine at Northpole (right across the street from where you are staying).  They also have a pretty decent Beer Cave.  Gas and groceries and surprisingly good pizza (weekends only) at Lil' Super Market.  You never have to leave Wilmington or, as we lovingly refer to it, Winkytown!
Visit us at cadencelodge.com http://www.cadencelodge.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Liquid and Solids for sure!  But only order the drinks from the menu.   

How the hell else should they order them?
They will not make a Harvey wall banger.  So don't go there expecting to order a white Russia.  You get what they make and its good.  

Does that make sense?  Do you understand now?  Would you like me to draw you a picture or simple diagram?  Do you understand English or do you southern tier hill billys speak a different tongue?  
Of course that makes sense, I thought my job here was to point out the obvious so when you said only order the drinks from the menu I was confused. For all I knew it was some new Dacky thing you AzzClowns started doing up there.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I made sense to me - don't go ordering a jack and coke at Liquids and Solids.  L&S's creative cocktails are truly mind blowing so that what Scotty was trying to say.  Also very good beer menu and matches to the food.

High Falls is new to the offering dinner and I think they only do it on the weekends.  Tim the new chef is an instructor at WF and is and excellent cook.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
<. For all I knew it was some new Dacky thing you AzzClowns started doing up there.
 Like the place in Keene that doesn't accept cash. Not even for a cup of coffee and a bagel
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
where don't they take cash?

Keene is crunchy but I didn't know they were going all hipster too
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
adk cafe
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Coach Z wrote

Yes Coach Z is back!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
> So don't go there expecting to order a white Russia.  You get what they make and its good.  

The dude does NOT abide.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Coach Z wrote

Crunchy or crispy? Never heard anyone use the term crunchy in that context before, but I got a good laugh.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Crunchy, like granola, I think.  Environmental lifestyle types.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Be sure to drive extra fast through Keene and throw garbage out the window. j/k of course.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
You should encounter mostly groomed terrain with the possible exception of Skyward. I'm pretty sure they're going to be blowing snow up there all week, so hopefully by the end of the week it will open. When it does open, it will most likely be un-groomed with huge "whales" and lots & lots of "Grade A Man-Made". This will definitely NOT be for your wife, but you should enjoy it.
So this turned out to be Wilderness, not Skyward!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Hey everyone - we just got back this afternoon.  We had a blast.  Thanks to everyone for their advice, from preventing car jackings to the French Toast.  

Special thanks to TJF, who I ran into during Saturday's First Tracks and rescued my ski after my wipeout on Wilderness : )

Whiteface is a really awesome place, and skied really well when I was there.  Maybe I have been skiing at Shawnee too much (which got 18 inches this weekend), but the quality of the manmade snow was extremely impressive - it really felt like powder.  

Paron's was really beautiful, Mountain Run was a fun groomer, and Wilderness was very much a challenge for me with the bumps and whales.  Whiteface is really big.  I think before lunch my first day (Friday) I got something like 12,000 vertical. We'll be sure to be back, hopefully next time with the kids in tow.  Coach - it was really nice to meet your wife, and my wife really enjoyed the lesson.  And thanks for the rec for me - Bill was very good.  I hope your son's race went well!

PS - I said I would report back on the gear purchase - I bought 2014-15 dynastar powertrack 84s 169 cm from Evo and had them mounted by the boot fitter I used all in for the price of good seasonal rentals.  I was very happy with the skis and how they performed at Whiteface and would recommend them to anyone (granted only after 3 days of use on this trip).  They now have some gashes in them, but if I wait until conditions are perfect, I'll never use them.