Whiteface vs Gore

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whiteface vs Gore

Funky Polak
Gonna head up on 2/9, which is a Wednesday. Both have a deal on Wednesday where if you present a Coke product you get a ticket for $38. Been to Whiteface, real nice mountain. Never been to Gore. So, how about some opinions? Be nice now
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whiteface vs Gore

x10003q
Since you have already been to WF I would go to Gore. If you are coming from the south Gore is at least an hour closer.
The negative about Gore midweek is with certain chairs closed the terrain under those chairs will be closed also. WF closes lifts midweek also but this usually does not affect any terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Good to know, I'll have to keep an eye on which terrrain closes during the week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
In reply to this post by x10003q
Ooops, almost forgot, thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Funky Polak
When do you have to make your decision?

What kind of skiing do you like the most?

I think you'll have a great time at either mountain.

Both should be wide open by then.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
What kind of skier are you?  They're completely different mountains.  With the storm that's coming both will be skiing great.  On a powder day there's nothing like WF east of the rockies (except maybe Sugarloaf) but not everyone really likes big, steep, long, ungroomed shots.  They just say they do.  So be honest with yourself.  Gore is an awesome mountain too - just different.  And I'm not saying it's an"intermediate mountain" like Okemo, Stratton or Bolton Valley.  It's the real deal - just different.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
When do you have to make your decision?
 I'm heading up on 2/8 to ski 2/9. Staying in Saratoga Springs, I know it's a bit of ride, but this is a road trip lasting until 2/13 and ending in Killington so no biggie. Since I'll be at Saratoga Springs, I can decide up until the last minute.

Harvey44 wrote
What kind of skiing do you like the most?
Like steep challenging terrain. however wife is still iffy after breaking ankle in 2007, but starting to come around. She won't do bumps for now, but starting to hit diamonds and double diamonds. Likes nice cruisers to warm up.

Harvey44 wrote
I think you'll have a great time at either mountain.

Both should be wide open by then.
I'm sure, tried Whiteface and love it when conditions are good, want to go up there, but then again, Gore has got me interested and just wanted to get feedback since I'll be in the area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Funky Polak wrote
I'm heading up on 2/8 to ski 2/9. Staying in Saratoga Springs, I know it's a bit of ride, but this is a road trip lasting until 2/13 and ending in Killington so no biggie. Since I'll be at Saratoga Springs, I can decide up until the last minute.
This is an ideal situation. Sit back and read the TRs and decide on Monday.

Funky Polak wrote
Like steep challenging terrain. however wife is still iffy after breaking ankle in 2007, but starting to come around. She won't do bumps for now, but starting to hit diamonds and double diamonds. Likes nice cruisers to warm up.
So you're a Whiteface guy and Mrs Polak is a Gore girl. It's company policy not to get involved in marital/ski compatibility issues ... except to ask this question... between now and the day you die, will you get more ski days in, if your wife is having fun?

Just sayin.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Funky- we are in the midst of the best cold/snowy run we have had in ten years, check out the weather links for extended forecasts, your planning and timing couldn't be better.  Brilliant!  Assuming that your base of operations is Saratoga Springs you have a range and wealth of options, alas, not enough time to sample them all.  Maybe we can help.

Gore has lots o' cruisers for Ms. Polak as well as some pretty dang good steeps and, if you are into it, challenging on-map (as well as off-map) glades.  Gore is spread out into pods that disperse the crowds, but since you will visit mid-week, enjoy your private ski area, as well as the vistas.  Bump runs can be an issue as they are typically mowed when they start to show some bling to satisfy most of the clientele, unless you have at the Rumor.  The Hamlet of North Creek is aspiring to be a ski town and will get there with time, continuing dogged entrepreneurship and consistent snow, worth a drive by and beverage/nosh.

Whiteface has the steeps, the steeps and did I mention, the steeps.  The cruisers they have are groomed nightly and the trees are usually good with the right coverage.  All runs go downhill to the base and when did you last see the top of a ski area from the parking lot?  Fall line skiing, incredible views.  Caution; if the "gentle breeze" from Alberta should occur just prior to or during your visit you will meet the evil twin "Iceface".  If not, the conditions should be good and with a dumper you can hike and slip the Slides, if you are lucky enough, not to be missed.  The Village of Lake Placid is a true destination resort and if you are not committed to 'Toga, worth an overnight, if not a white-knuckler down the Mt. Van Hovenberg Bobsled run.

But wait, there's more!  Why stand in line @ Kmart with 15,000 of your closest friends, catching glimpses of Vermont cleavage while getting taken out of your gear by scud-skiers?  Why not Ski the Legend, Hickory Hill, located in the Queen Village of the Adirondacks, Warrensburg, NY.  By golly, they are even having their annual Tele Fest Saturday, 2/12/11, just as if they knew you and the 'lil Missus would be in our neck of the woods.  As one luminary once said, "Think you're an expert? Ski Hickory, find out. Hickory - its hard."  

You make the call.  No matter what, you'll have a great time.  All the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Keep in mind the dreaded Gore Mid-Week Terrain Closure Policy.  Today, Monday, the following terrain pods are unavailable for skiing:  Burnt Ridge, North Quad, Ski Bowl.  That takes Gore from approx 95% open down to 69%.  Since Wednesdays are relatively popular, perhaps some of those pods will be available then.  The problem is, nobody knows because there is no stated policy.
If it is your first visit to Gore, you might understandably be interested in checking out those new expansion pods (Burnt Ridge, Ski Bowl), so it would be a shame for those closures to catch you unaware.
In any case, plenty of good advice in the others' comments above.
Enjoy your visit at whichever mountain you chose.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
Some great advice, thanks. I am well aware of Lake Placid. Although I have only visited Whiteface twice and seen both the best and worst in those two visits, I have hiked the High Peaks numerous times. My time here will be limited as plans have already been made and rooms already reserved. On top of which, trying to be "thrifty":

1. Stay in Saratoga Spring Tuesday evening  and ski Whiteface or Gore on Wednesday, $38 deal on Wednesday.
2. Hotel Room in Burlington Wed-Sat, ski Sugarbush on Thurs ($30 tix), either Bolton Valley or Mad River Glen on Friday, great ticket prices on liftopia.com $23 and $24 plus I have a couple of $10 gift certificates from them bringing price down to $13 or $14.
3. Hotel in Rutland on Saturday to Sunday, hit Killington on Sunday, have season pass so no tix required. May not be 15,000 friends, but do have quite a few there.

When you do 40-50 days a year and want to try different mountains, you just have to work on getting the best prices.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
OK, I'm hearing Gore closes a lot during the week so I checked out their report for today

Tuesday, Feb 01
 8:30AM-4PM
# of lifts open: 7
 # of trails open: 65
 % trails open: 71%*
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
One thing to keep in mind. Gore has better options for finding good snow if the wind is a factor
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
skimore wrote
One thing to keep in mind. Gore has better options for finding good snow if the wind is a factor

Ah, now that's a good point, imagine Whiteface is more open?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Funky Polak wrote
skimore wrote

Ah, now that's a good point, imagine Whiteface is more open?
WF doesn't have many decent glade options. The 10th mtn glade and cloud spitter glades aren't much to be desired as they are cut across the fall line. Can't speak for Sugar Valley Glade, but it appears to cut similarly across the fall line

and there just aren't as many options
Reply | Threaded
|

lingerlonger
Banned User
Hmmmmm.  I skied WF a few weeks ago and the glades weren't open yet but I skied there twice last year and both times the glades were fantastic.  Yeah, there's a double fall line in some of the glades off the Gondola (don't remember the name) but since when is that a bad thing?  Plus there were some glades down lower, just above the mid station, that were less steep and no DFL - good for beginner tree skiers I thought.  One of the times I was there last year it was very windy and the summit lift didn't run but we found powder stashes all over the place both in the trees and on the trails.  Me?  I'd never choose Gore over WF - WF is in another league all together.  Just be honest with yourself and the type of skier you are.  I don't think it's as much a question of your skill level as it is your comfort level with steep, sustained shots.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
WF has awesome glades...as with any mountain you need to know where to go depending on weather, crowds, snow and open terrain.  Yes Gore closes some trails during the week, but there is still plenty to have fun with.  Any strong novice or early intermediate can have fun on Twister, Showcase, Quicksilver and yes Sunway...What about Headwaters on straightbrook and those summit trails that are not Hullabalu, steilhang or Darby.  the only trail I am going to miss tomorrow is Sagamore but I will find something to have fun with anyway...oh yeah powder.  Gore has a lot of variety but the runs are short.  Only the slides at WF might be steeper than Rumor.

WF has less variety but the runs are MUCH longer.  The weather is more fickle and the crowds (although they are much less than Gore on a weekend) will be a moot point midweek.  Funky, you are staying in Saratoga so you can make a game day decision.  If it's windy go to Gore...if it's calm and you have fresh snow go to WF.  

That being said, if you have never been to Gore, you should check it out.  I am a Gore skier but do love WF.  If you are choosing between Mad River and Bolton Valley, your decision should be based on the skiers in your group.  In my humble opinion, there is no better ski area in the East than Mad River!  See avatar...Have a great trip.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
sudsnbumps wrote
WF has less variety but the runs are MUCH longer.  The weather is more fickle and the crowds (although they are much less than Gore on a weekend) will be a moot point midweek.  Funky, you are staying in Saratoga so you can make a game day decision.  If it's windy go to Gore...if it's calm and you have fresh snow go to WF.  

That being said, if you have never been to Gore, you should check it out.  I am a Gore skier but do love WF.  If you are choosing between Mad River and Bolton Valley, your decision should be based on the skiers in your group.  In my humble opinion, there is no better ski area in the East than Mad River!  See avatar...Have a great trip.
Good points on Gore/WF. Also with you on Mad River, but have to leave that up to my wife as not sure where here psyche will be.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by lingerlonger
lingerlonger wrote
.  Yeah, there's a double fall line in some of the glades off the Gondola (don't remember the name) but since when is that a bad thing?  
 When is it a good thing?
Go in there after it's been skied and all you have are a bunch of traverses from everyone making left turns
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
OK, leaving tonight, and skiing one or the other tomorrow. Still not sure which, guess it'll be a flip of the coin in the morning as they both seem to have good conditions now.