59 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NY Ski Area Experts

ScottyJack
ml242 wrote
Whiteface according to the NY Ski Blog Forum Readers:

The only reason why Santa moved to the north pole is because the reindeer got tired of flying to the top of Whiteface.
HAHHHHAHA  That was awesome!  And I heard her say WF skiers are well endowed!!  TWSS!!! She said it!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
 Everyone who skis at Whiteface is an expert and very well endowed, despite what measuring says.
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
70s Gore Kid wrote
I LOVE a funny thread.  

The "real NY skiers" vs the "Bierkenstock/Subaru/Green Mountain Coffee" VT crowd is a debate that has raged for about 40 years.  It will never be settled.

+1000

And just for the record there are more Subies sold in NYS than in VT.....and, uhm, just like the Dacks vs. the Greens the largest retailer of Subies is in NY too

NY RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by 70s Gore Kid
70s Gore Kid wrote
And VT has a charm that the Adirondaks don't have.  VT has no billboards. VT got rid of the tacky Indian Totem Pole motif of Lake George about 3 decades ago.  Gore may be my favorite mountain, but VT has a "special something" no other state has.  Oh, and VT has much better views across Lake Champlain....of the Adirondaks.
VT had a charm but that's been suburbanized over for the last 30 years!!!  We use to travel a bunch through VT when I lived in Troy.  Bennington, Manchester, Arlington, Middlebury, Stowe, heck the Mad River Valley does not resemble what they were three decades ago.
IMHO - it's change and for the worse.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by 70s Gore Kid
70s Gore Kid wrote
And VT has a charm that the Adirondaks don't have.  VT has no billboards. VT got rid of the tacky Indian Totem Pole motif of Lake George about 3 decades ago.  Gore may be my favorite mountain, but VT has a "special something" no other state has.  Oh, and VT has much better views across Lake Champlain....of the Adirondaks.
I don't even BEGIN to agree with this.  There is absolutely nothing authentic about Vermont.  That whole faux-bucolic thing they have going on is so played and so obvious.  If that's your thing, have at it but ...please.  Not to mention the vast tracts of unbroken wilderness we have compared with the cut up, developed shit they have over there - and it doesn't all get erased because, oddly, they've decided to ban billboards.  Lake George village is a one-off.  In fact, I believe the village was a cautionary tale that lead directly to the formation of the APA (I don't even consider that part of the ADK park to be honest because it bears such little resemblance to the whole).  And once you're out of the village that is hands down one of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen.  

I really believe that one of the biggest fears of the Vermont tourism industry is that one day people are going to wake-up and see Vermont for what it is and what it's become:  Contrived, obvious and passé.   It's a cliché.  It really is.  Especially compared to its neighbors.  YMMV but really I'm just sitting here scratching my head.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
ml242 wrote
Whiteface according to the NY Ski Blog Forum Readers:

The only reason why Santa moved to the north pole is because the reindeer got tired of flying to the top of Whiteface.
That was my favorite too!!! But you know, North Pole is just down the road from Whiteface!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
I don't even BEGIN to agree with this.  There is absolutely nothing authentic about Vermont.
Except the snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
x10003q wrote
Noah John wrote
I don't even BEGIN to agree with this.  There is absolutely nothing authentic about Vermont.
Except the snow.
I believe the first ski area to ever use snowmaking was Bromley.  

From Klownington's web site:

Killington's combined snowmaking and grooming firepower is superior to any other resort in the United States. Our snowmaking system features 88 miles of pipe, 1,500 snow guns (including more than 500 Low Energy guns), and a virtually endless supply of water to produce machine-made snow. Even still, Killington's 17 snowcats -- including three winch cats for grooming steeper slopes -- groom more than 40 miles of terrain on a nightly basis so we can offer our guests a consistent top-to-bottom surface every day of the season.

Run along now

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Noah John wrote
They know all of this and they may even know that those little green knolls they call "mountains" are getting smaller every year while the ADKs continue to grow.
Grow at a rate of about 2mm per year.

Does anyone know what the current snowpack depth at Whiteface is?
According to their website, average base depth is 22-28 inches (but of course, that's including snowmaking). YTD Snowfall is 79 inches.

The Mt Mansfield stake is currently at 47 inches (without snowmaking). Stowe's YTD snowfall is 124".

So just about double the base and YTD Snowfall, but WF is STILL steeper and deeper?

WF yearly snowfall average: 200"
Smuggs/Stowe yearly average: 330"

Yes, this is a NY ski blog. I don't see anyone bitching about UT/CO/CA trip reports.
Go any direction from Gore (avg snowfall, 130"), and you'll find considerably more snow. Head North to QC - Le Massif (avg snowfall: 250"). Head East to Stowe/Smuggs - (Average snowfall 330"), head South to Plattekill - (avg snowfall: 190"), head West to Snow Ridge - (average snowfall: 230")  

Yet, I still ski at Gore. Why? Because it's close to home. I'm a full time college student and work weekends. It's not really feasible to drive to MRG, Smuggs/Stowe or Jay and be back home at 3pm for work.

Snowballs wrote
ml242 wrote
 Everyone who skis at Whiteface is an expert and very well endowed, despite what measuring says.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This thread wins the award for greatest number of generalizations ever, with contributions from all. I admit - some funny ones in there.

Hope nobody's offended if I try to start my original thread over again. Anybody want to own this trainwreck?

Personally I'd never want to own a NY vs VT thread.

I think of it more as NY and VT. I'd rather have VT next door than really any other state.  How great is it to live in say the capital district and be with striking distance of Killington?  Hell if I lived in Albany there I'd day trip all of VT including Jay Peak.  But I'd still have a pass at Gore.

Carry on.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
harv please dont group us here at gore in with this ny vs vt thing. its a wf vs vt thing .i try to fit in a trip to vt every year  jay mrg etc . try to get up to wf every year too. its nice to sample the different flavors    
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nice try Harv really !

hey if anyone wants to know something about Titus and how it skis i'd be willing to answer to the best of my ability
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
harv please dont group us here at gore in with this ny vs vt thing. its a wf vs vt thing .i try to fit in a trip to vt every year  jay mrg etc . try to get up to wf every year too. its nice to sample the different flavors
I agree. This thread has gone off the hook.

I could go on for days about what I hate about Killington. Mt. Snow, Stowe, Stratton, etc., especially the people who go there, but I could also gush just as much about Jay Peak and MRG.

This is the NY Ski Blog, right?  Put these rants somewhere else.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
IMO
We are all skiers and appreciate the days we get out on the snow...some more than others, and some wish they could get our more.  We all appreciate where we ski and as a Gore skier, I hear other Gore skiers complain about too much grooming, not enough grooming, why did they make snow here and not there and why is Twister closed for racing.  Gore is my home mountain and I appreciate being as close as I am and the work they do with the NYS budget to have us skiing on the best possible snow and as many trails as they can.  I also try to get up to Whiteface as often as I can because it is a great mountain in its own right...big long runs that you really can't find much in the east...and yes I do know some of the stashes...but that being said, my favorite mountains in the east are MRG, Cannon, Jay, (I've never skied Wildcat but want to)...I have friends that love Stratton, Okemo, Killington, ETC.  I personally don't like them and probably will never ski there again...but again IMO!  

However, I love skiing Gore, Plattekill, Snow Ridge, Bristol, Toggenburg, Hickory and am damn proud to be a NYSKIER!
My rant is done...I am going to sharpen my edges for tomorrow...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I live in Jay NY and work at Whiteface.  We have the best sustained steeps in the east and I love my mountain.

If I'm going to go buy a lift ticket to ski somewhere else within driving distance I'm heading to the other Jay across the pond and hit the woods there.  They get so much more snow and have the second best glades in the world that I have skied (Steamboat is in 1st).  Jay doesn't have the pitch of WF but it if did just imagine how great that would be.   Jay has a cool and different vibe that is so VT.

We are lucky to have VT as our neighbor.  Let's all just get along.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
   Let's all just get along.
That just makes for boring internet
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
exactly.  in response to campee that is..
Reply | Threaded
|

HoliScott
HoliMont-HoliScott