classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Why liftopia sucks

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
People die for all sorts of things I'm not really concerned with that I accept the risk.  Ground clearance does come into play when you're traveling in deep enough snow.  I don't get stuck I just get there that's why I ride powder all the time.  since you started the name calling with numbskull, I'll state the obvious you're too concerned with safety and too big of a pussy.  you just need to let loose and have some fun start riding powder more.  Im in a great mood after 27" & 35" fri and sat.
Well you're the Einstein not listening to authorities and going on the roads in a state of emergency. I don't call that being a pussy. I call that common sense. And it takes a big man to call someone a pussy over the internet. LOL
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Typical A-hole internet douche's getting butt hurt over me saying things that are common sense.

Anyone with a brain in their head, get's there the day before and stays a hotel. They don't risk their life driving hundreds of miles in a blizzard. Unless you're emergency/necessary people like doctors you shouldn't be driving in that. Anyone with a brain in their head knows that. Some strange people on the internet for sure.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Hey glade, how does risking you and other life driving in state of emergency make you tough? You sound like you're 14.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Just wanted to get something straight. All the authorities are WRONG when they tell people to stay off the road and are pussies, but you guys(a bunch of non-pro recreational east coast skiers...and in the case of coach z....out of shape and elderly) think you know best?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
It doesn't make me tough, it just allows me to ride powder.  I never feel at risk.  Like I said I don't feel unsafe in my 90s Tahoe with new snow tires any any amount of snow I have ever drove in.  You started calling me names this time and you continue now with more names.  Who is 14?
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
What do you do if they shut down route 9?(routinely happens during snow events). That's a dangerous road when dry
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
It doesn't make me tough, it just allows me to ride powder.  I never feel at risk.  Like I said I don't feel unsafe in my 90s Tahoe with new snow tires any any amount of snow I have ever drove in.  You started calling me names this time and you continue now with more names.  Who is 14?
If you REALLY wanted to ride powder a lot(willing to risk your life for an extra pow day), you'd move out west near a major pow hill. Get real. Dude me calling you a numbskull was a joke! Holy....notice the wink?
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
If you REALLY wanted to ride powder a lot(willing to risk your life for an extra pow day), you'd move out west near a major pow hill. Get real. Dude me calling you a numbskull was a joke! Holy....notice the wink?
Moving out west is a major jump.  And I have a very flexible work life balance that allows me to ski virtually anytime I want.  If I went out west, I'd be trying to find that same flexibility before I could ride there like I do here.  Yea I know you were joking about the numbskull.  And I was joking a little about calling you a pussy.  You just need to ride pow more and stop acting like no one else rides it cause you don't.  But, you had to respond with "asshole douchebag" and started attacking everyone else who commented on here.  
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
 Unless you're emergency/necessary people like doctors you shouldn't be driving in that.

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Wasn't' this about liftopia? And I'm the one that hijacks threads???????????? Right......
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Maybe you wouldn't be so angry if you rode powder more.  How many powder days you got this season?  0?  Lets start a thread comparing our powder days.  So far Glade Runner 2, Powder Assassin 0.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PowderAssassin wrote
Just wanted to get something straight. All the authorities are WRONG when they tell people to stay off the road and are pussies, but you guys(a bunch of non-pro recreational east coast skiers...and in the case of coach z....out of shape and elderly) think you know best?
I'm continually surprised at the deference to authority shown by younger people. As if "the authorities" are always right. I'm hoping PowAss will grow out of this once he reaches his senior year of high school.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Back on topic.  The point of liftopia just what Coach said earlier.  It is to sell off cheap tickets on days when the mountain won't be busy.  There is a trade off as you will need to book in advance, but if you can, you save money.  My dad has never used it as we do most of our skiing on season passes.  The times we go away, it is usually on a holiday, so paying list price is the only option.  For other trips, we would rather have the flexibility to switch days if something went wrong- r*in, last minute business trip, injury, someone got sick, etc.

Gate price is not sucker price.  It is the price that you pay to have the convenience of flexibility.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
PowderAssassin wrote
Classic example this week. Thanksgiving day ticket at mt snow is 40 bucks at liftopia(vs 65 at the gate...absolute rip off)....but there's no way I can buy it because I'm not 100 percent sure what the storm will bring AND I have no idea if I'll be able to get up there for opening chair due to roads. I would never bother driving all that way unless I got a pow day and opening chair. Does it continue snowing right through 9am heavy? I'm not getting across the mountains and it's very dangerous and would take double the distance to get there so a day trip is out of the question. So it's a call I have to make the day of. Another example of liftopia being useless. And change a date doesn't work because they charge you the difference on the lift ticket! No way I'm paying potentially 90 bucks for a lift ticket. I'm not rich.

Can you open your mind up to this perspective... "Damn, I can score a $40 lift ticket for a pow day!!... all I have to do is get to the mountain" Honestly, you may be the first person I've heard from that wants a pow day but isn't willing to take the risk of driving in the snow.

Liftopia isn't useless, they're providing you with one hell of a service- you're just too scared to take advantage of it

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
PowderAssassin wrote
Number one cause of death in young people is auto accidents.
.....but with some orange fencing.....

PA, how does your not being willing to do what it takes to score the best deal make Liftopia suck?  You wanna talk suck......you need to suck it up and either do it, or not complain because you chose not to.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You have to think about this from the ski area owners perspective.

First, if the owner is not on board it doesn't happen.

Second, if it's not good for the owner he/she will not be on board.

Third, it is not good for the owner to take tickets that would actually sell for $65 and sell them for $45.

Fourth, it is good for the owner to take tickets that would have gone unsold for $45.

Skiing has huge fixed costs, so you ideally want your lifts filled with skiers.

Any pass is a trade off... better per day price for more risk.

Pow maybe say your piece once or thrice and then give someone else a chance.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jimvdak
I don't understand the problem here...I use liftopia all the time. It's a gamble you take if you want the good deal..like a lot of things in life. I've bought my liftopia several times in anticipation of a storm that turned out to be a dud...oh well. A less than ideal day of skiing (because there's no such thing as a BAD day of skiing) is better than a good day at work!
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
PowderAssassin wrote
Powass

Just got back from my mt bike ride

I'm in my 40's and I work out 5 times a week and I can ski circles around your lazy young butt
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

No one else has had a chance? Are you KIDDING me? This is like a 10 man team up against me. And it always takes at least two to tango.

Skiing is a rip off at most places. Snow ridge has "fixed costs" and they manage to make a profit with 1% of the volume of people as Vermont resorts. They charge 19 bucks for a lift ticket. Hell even wachusett has some descent mid week pass prices Liftopia is a joke because fake snow sucks compared to groomed or even UNgroomed real snow and it could be raining as well. So buying ahead is useless unless you enjoy boiler plate. I'd be throwing money out the window. The fact is what I'm saying is what most people think, except on internet forums. Where telling the truth like NVT might exageratte snow, ec sucks compared to west coast, skiing is a rip off.

Also, all ski areas know they are less busy during the mid week. THe reason they do this is so they money coming in even when it rains and the conditions suck.

14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Harvey wrote

No one else has had a chance? Are you KIDDING me? This is like a 10 man team up against me. And it always takes at least two to tango.

Skiing is a rip off at most places. Snow ridge has "fixed costs" and they manage to make a profit with 1% of the volume of people as Vermont resorts. They charge 19 bucks for a lift ticket. Hell even wachusett has some descent mid week pass prices Liftopia is a joke because fake snow sucks compared to groomed or even UNgroomed real snow and it could be raining as well. So buying ahead is useless unless you enjoy boiler plate. I'd be throwing money out the window. The fact is what I'm saying is what most people think, except on internet forums. Where telling the truth like NVT might exageratte snow, ec sucks compared to west coast, skiing is a rip off.

Also, all ski areas know they are less busy during the mid week. THe reason they do this is so they money coming in even when it rains and the conditions suck.
That is incorrect.  Snow Ridge was $29 Saturday.  Still a great deal but, you should know that since you slay all that powder there all the time.