Why liftopia sucks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why liftopia sucks

PowderAssassin
Classic example this week. Thanksgiving day ticket at mt snow is 40 bucks at liftopia(vs 65 at the gate...absolute rip off)....but there's no way I can buy it because I'm not 100 percent sure what the storm will bring AND I have no idea if I'll be able to get up there for opening chair due to roads. I would never bother driving all that way unless I got a pow day and opening chair. Does it continue snowing right through 9am heavy? I'm not getting across the mountains and it's very dangerous and would take double the distance to get there so a day trip is out of the question. So it's a call I have to make the day of. Another example of liftopia being useless. And change a date doesn't work because they charge you the difference on the lift ticket! No way I'm paying potentially 90 bucks for a lift ticket. I'm not rich.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why liftopia sucks

Thacheronix
That's crazy talk bro
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
You could either go up the night before, or get yourself a 4x4 with snow tires and stop crying about it.  If not you may never see first tracks.  Snow isn't an excuse when it comes to skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
You could either go up the night before, or get yourself a 4x4 with snow tires and stop crying about it.  If not you may never see first tracks.  Snow isn't an excuse when it comes to skiing.
I don't have the money for a hotel. When you're hours and hours away it is an excuse. lol People who live nearby mountains score the most pow for obvious reasons.
A 4x4 will do nothing if some idiot crashes into me. People drive too fast in snow. They're complete morons. Every storm you see them stuck in the ditch. Nevermind ice patches everywhere. I have snow tires.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
So basically I'm stuck paying the sucker's gate price. It's really terrible the way they rip people off at the gate with those prices.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
I don't have the money for a hotel. When you're hours and hours away it is an excuse. lol People who live nearby mountains score the most pow for obvious reasons.
A 4x4 will do nothing if some idiot crashes into me. People drive too fast in snow. They're complete morons. Every storm you see them stuck in the ditch. Nevermind ice patches everywhere. I have snow tires.
I bet you are closer to there than I am to Killington.  And last year i was there on the 25" day midweek with maybe 4 or 5 people ahead of me for first chair.  And Killington is 4.5 hrs each way for me in good weather.  The highway wasn't even plowed.  Did that stop me?   Just get an old beater 4x4.  I don't worry about anyone crashing into my 97 Tahoe.  They will be the ones with damage.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Just leave early.  When I leave for Jay in bad weather I take off at midnight and show up a couple hrs early.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Liftopia plays an important role for ski areas to sell tickets at low price when they don't expect to be busy.  That is why they require you to lock in a specific date to get the best deal.  You are not going to score cheap tickets on a holiday.  If you want to ski a lot at a low price buy a season pass like the majority of users of this forum.

If you don't like driving in snow I'd suggest you take up bowling and stop whining to us.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
<quote author="Glade Runner">
<quote author="PowderAssassin">
Glade Runner wrote
 Just get an old beater 4x4.  I don't worry about anyone crashing into my 97 Tahoe.  They will be the ones with damage.
Right....Why don't you look at death rates for people in suv's.  Somebody crashes into you at 40 or 50mph you could easily die. You're not in a tank. Number one cause of death in young people is auto accidents.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
If you don't like driving in snow I'd suggest you take up bowling and stop whining to us.
Looking at your profile pic.....I think you're the one that should take up bowling or maybe lawn darts. lol
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
  If you want to ski a lot at a low price buy a season pass like the majority of users of this forum.
I have one
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
 Just get an old beater 4x4.  I don't worry about anyone crashing into my 97 Tahoe.  They will be the ones with damage.
Right....Why don't you look at death rates for people in suv's.  Somebody crashes into you at 40 or 50mph you could easily die. You're not in a tank. Number one cause of death in young people is auto accidents.
Do you know the rates for 90s full size chevys? Just recently there was a head on collision near here and everyone was dead except the person in the Tahoe and they were unharmed.  My Tahoe weighs 5500 lbs, it's close enough to a tank for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Glade Runner wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Do you know the rates for 90s full size chevys? Just recently there was a head on collision near here and everyone was dead except the person in the Tahoe and they were unharmed.  My Tahoe weighs 5500 lbs, it's close enough to a tank for me.
Any safety given by extra size of an suv is taken away by rollover risk. Even when they impact smaller car, they tend to roll. Nevermind someone cutting you off and then you skidding into the median and rolling. The safest cars on the road are minivans. People die all the time in an suv. Of course the death rate is lower for suvs than for compact cars, but a ton of people still die
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I dont see anyone getting first tracks on a 25" powderday in a minivan. LOL  and the risk is reduced when its state of emergency and no one is on the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
And im not braking so i dont know how you think ill be doing any skidding
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
I dont see anyone getting first tracks on a 25" powderday in a minivan. LOL  and the risk is reduced when its state of emergency and no one is on the road.
Yeah, except for numbskulls trying to go skiing ;) Seriously, there's a reason they're saying stay off the roads. People die.

Actually if you put snow tires on a minivan, you'd get there. It's not really about getting stuck(unless we are talking about 2-3 feet which is a once a year or less thing outside lake effect country) It's about getting there safely. Of course a 4wd will get you unstuck quicker and through deeper snow. BUT I've gotten to pow days where it's snowed 16 inches and roads are horrible at a nearby mountain to me in a compact car.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
People die for all sorts of things I'm not really concerned with that I accept the risk.  Ground clearance does come into play when you're traveling in deep enough snow.  I don't get stuck I just get there that's why I ride powder all the time.  since you started the name calling with numbskull, I'll state the obvious you're too concerned with safety and too big of a pussy.  you just need to let loose and have some fun start riding powder more.  Im in a great mood after 27" & 35" fri and sat.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Glade Runner wrote
  you just need to let loose and have some fun start riding powder more.  .
He's too busy

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
PowderAssassin wrote
Coach Z wrote
  If you want to ski a lot at a low price buy a season pass like the majority of users of this forum.
I have one
Then stop complaining and go ski.  But giving your complaining, fear of snowy roads and love for mini vans in guessing your pass is for MC.  Any true slayer of Pow is not afraid to drive in it.

That would explain your crappy attitude.  I'm tried of the few that whine and then just respond by getting nasty.  Go bowling its much safer unless you are also worried about dropping the ball on your foot.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by skimore
This guy is really a total __________!

I'm surprised you would even contemplate skiing on a powder day, PAss.  I would have thought you would think it is too dangerous....you know all those crazy locals will be skiing really fast with abandon to track up all that powder.