Wilmington Trail at WF

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wilmington Trail at WF

BigK75
I was wondering if anyone had any idea when they plan to open Wilmington Trail at Whiteface.  I noticed from the website they are not blowing any snow on it and just wondered if they plan to blow snow on it or are they waiting for a natural snow fall. I plan to be back in WF in a few weeks and really hope it will be open by the time I get there.  I am stoked about the number of runs they do have open but would like WT open as well before I show up.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wilmington Trail at WF

ScottyJack
Well if the skiing weatherman is right and the cold air that is building on your side of boarder sinks into the US then WT should be in play be4 January is over.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
the problem with wilmington trail is that its over 2 miles long and in sections incredibly rocky so it takes boat loads of snow to cover it.  They need to blow on it for a week to get it open.  Its very prone to water issues in spots so if rain is in play they won't choose to get in it play.

Plus its one more lift to run so from a money stand point I totaly understand and support a decision to not bring it on line.  They are doing a great job of opeing other black terrian that is so much more interesting IMO.  Wilmington is just a way to get to sugar valley glades or lookout below to me.  Neither of those are coming on line soon so wilmington can wait.

Locals tip - When it does open only ski it in the morning since it gets so skied off in the narrow spots by lunch time
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
ausable skier wrote
Plus its one more lift to run so from a money stand point I totaly understand and support a decision to not bring it on line.  They are doing a great job of opeing other black terrian that is so much more interesting IMO.
+1

I really like the Wilmington Trail, however, given the amount of time, effort and money it takes to get it open, I'm glad they have decided to get more of the main mountain open first. Today's report says they've started making snow on the Mackenzies!!!

Given the amount of snowmaking they've had to do so far this season just to get and keep the main mountain trails open, It will be interesting to see whether or not they even try to get Lookout Mountain open at all this year, unless we get a LOT of help from Mother Nature.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I concur w/ both posts re: the WT.  And I am ecstatic Big Mac is under attack from the SnowTribe!!  The ledges is super sweet spot when you catch it buried in velvet!!!

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
This post was updated on .
WT is so big that when they start snow making on that trail they pretty much have to shut it down everywhere else.  Better they keep working on the rest of the mountain than go "all in" for the WT.  Minor disagreement with the statement that the WT is only good for accessing Look Out Below and the glades.  Of course it's all subjective and a matter of opinion but when the WT is "in" below Look Out Below I think it's a fantastic trail.  A lot of twists and drops.  When that's got 8" or more of fresh powder on it it's soooo much fun.  Only bummer is that you end up down at the base and if it's crazy down there you're in line with the rest of the hoard.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Thanks for the responses guys.  WT is not a make it or break it for me, but I have to say that I do like it.  Either way I will be back in February for more skiing on the WF.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Jack the Ripper
BigK75 wrote
Thanks for the responses guys.  WT is not a make it or break it for me, but I have to say that I do like it.  Either way I will be back in February for more skiing on the WF.  

Claude
Hopefully the gods bless WF with tons of natural by then.  That'll get WT open and more importantly those SVG. Love that sh!t
A bad day of skiing is better than a good day of working
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
i would bet it will open next week and then look out below will not be too far behind.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Ausable, Your locals tip about skiing it in the morning because it gets skied off by noon pretty much applies to the whole mountain. Tomorrow morning should be interesting, don't think I'll be waitng to get first ride up.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Trying to figure out when the best time to show up at the hill is tricky.   Everyday is a surprise.  Best thing is to get first chair last chair.  Then you know you were on it at the best time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
if they dont have guns on it now (which I dont think they do) they will have them on it Sunday. it will be open by  next weekend. naysayers suck it. wilmington trail on the left side is butter all the time yo!
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
tight left side butter always! boo ya!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by BigK75
This morning's conditions report is showing snowmaking on the Wilmington Trail. GIven the current forecast, it should be open by the middle of this week. In the past, it usually seems to take about 5 days of snowmaking until they're able to open it.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
yep.  snowmakin on the WT...  WF must be satisified w/ the long range 4cast...  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
yes they are blowing the bottom section - will take at least 5 days to blow drain groom and get open - look for it late week or next weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
looking at the forecast I'm questioning the wisdom of blowing WT.  Its going to end up a 2+ mile long sheet of ice.  That snow making budget might have been better off saved to repair the damage from the upcoming warm up
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Anyone know if/when the WT is going to open?

Harv, any chance you can get some info from Bruce or someone? Given that they've been blowin' on it for 5+ days now, I would assume it will be open this weekend, but it would be nice to get some conjecture-free feedback!

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Face4Me wrote
Anyone know if/when the WT is going to open?

Harv, any chance you can get some info from Bruce or someone? Given that they've been blowin' on it for 5+ days now, I would assume it will be open this weekend, but it would be nice to get some conjecture-free feedback!
"Saturday afternoon is our goal. I think it's likely."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Thanks!

Goes to show the truly monumental effort needed to open that trail.