Windham Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
76 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windham Conditions

snoloco
Windham has always had a hard set closing date which is first Sunday in April regardless of snow.  Never seen them stay open later.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
Windham has always had a hard set closing date which is first Sunday in April regardless of snow.  Never seen them stay open later.
Even Greek is making it a week later.  Windham sucks anyways.  I would only go there for free.   The most boring mountain in the Catskills.  But, I would like to know if Plattekill will push it later because of the snow on the ground and if it effects mountain bike opening.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Glade Runner wrote
snoloco wrote
Even Greek is making it a week later.  Windham sucks anyways.  I would only go there for free.   The most boring mountain in the Catskills.  But, I would like to know if Plattekill will push it later because of the snow on the ground and if it effects mountain bike opening.
OMG, everything sucks in your mind.  PLATTEKILL SUCKS!!!  WHITEFACE SUCKS!!!  OKEMO SUCKS!!!  WINDHAM SUCKS!!!  YOU SUCK AT SKIING!!!   
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
Glade Runner wrote
snoloco wrote
OMG, everything sucks in your mind.  PLATTEKILL SUCKS!!!  WHITEFACE SUCKS!!!  OKEMO SUCKS!!!  WINDHAM SUCKS!!!  YOU SUCK AT SKIING!!!   
Why don't you go make a spreadsheet on how you are going to spend daddy's money next year.  Make sure to budget in some lessons you whiney little prick.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Glade Runner wrote
snoloco wrote
Glade Runner wrote
snoloco wrote
Why don't you go make a spreadsheet on how you are going to spend daddy's money next year.  Make sure to budget in some lessons you whiney little prick.
What does spending daddy's $$$ have to do with Windham's policy for when they close?  
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Surprised how much the mountain has lost I was there 3/25 almost 100% open and skied awesome.  Today almost the same was open but they will be lucky to make it thru this weekend in my opinion.  It shocked me not what I was expecting today lots of melting that had refrozen.  
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This is the coverage they have now.  Can't believe they're done for the season.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This post was updated on .
snoloco wrote
This is the coverage they have now.  Can't believe they're done for the season.

Lame.  At least re-open for this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Lamest mountain in the Catskills.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I like Windham a lot and have considered switching from Hunter to Windham.  However, it costs 800 dollars more for my dad and I to get passes there and they close earlier.  They always close a week before Hunter and I even remember them closing 2 weeks earlier one year.  I like Windham's layout better, they are the only mountain that always opens all their trails in the Catskills, and they are less crowded and don't have the edgy, in-your-face vibe that Hunter sometimes has.  However, the parking is further away, the high speed quad is slower than the Hunter 6-pack, and they close earlier.  All of this for 800 dollars more.

I don't get all the Windham hate on this site.  It may be the most luxurious resort in NY (not a problem for me), but it is the 3rd largest, has some great cruising terrain, and has some more challenging runs as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
I like Windham a lot and have considered switching from Hunter to Windham.  However, it costs 800 dollars more for my dad and I to get passes there and they close earlier.  They always close a week before Hunter and I even remember them closing 2 weeks earlier one year.  I like Windham's layout better, they are the only mountain that always opens all their trails in the Catskills, and they are less crowded and don't have the edgy, in-your-face vibe that Hunter sometimes has.  However, the parking is further away, the high speed quad is slower than the Hunter 6-pack, and they close earlier.  All of this for 800 dollars more.

I don't get all the Windham hate on this site.  It may be the most luxurious resort in NY (not a problem for me), but it is the 3rd largest, has some great cruising terrain, and has some more challenging runs as well.  I say it beats Belleayre any day and Plattekill when there's no natural snow.
Yes early season when it's got man made and it's free sure.  Glades aren't in play then anyways so it doesn't matter since you can't ride glades anywhere else.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I don't get all the Windham hate on this site.
I don't get these generalizations. You've got 600 members, granted maybe half or less active, but how many said they don't like Windham?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
they are the only mountain that always opens all their trails in the Catskills, and they are less crowded and don't have the edgy, in-your-face vibe that Hunter sometimes has.
Not for nothing but I can't remember the last season when Platty did not have all of their trails open for most of the winter. Granted not in the early season.  Also, you'll be hard pressed to find a better vibe anywhere in NYS.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
At Platty even the closed terrain is open. Trail status is merely a suggestion.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
In reply to this post by Harvey
I don't like Windham, but I have never even been there!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
"The weather report is looking good for Thursday night snowmaking.  We just brought in 3 extra compressors.  What?!!  True fact.  We are not messing around!  Extra compressors mean we can power up at least 40 additional snowguns.  LET THERE BE SNOW!  We are going to hit it hard and it will happen fast.  Stay tuned... we have a few more surprises up our sleeve for this weekend and beyond."
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I think it's a now or never type of situation for all the eastern areas....If they intend to salvage the holiday week , they have to go balls to the wall this weekend...23-25th looks real ugly!!!!!!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
From the Times-Union's business blog today:

Windham to open Sunday for biking, maybe skiing

With the ground bare and no snow in the forecast, Windham Mountain in the Catskills is trying something different this Sunday.
It plans to start making snow on its higher trails, where temperatures can be colder, while opening other trails to mountain biking.
Spokesman Jesse Tolz said mountain bikers, skiers and snowboarders could all be sharing the lifts as they get to their trails.
“The forecast is pretty bleak through mid-January,” Tolz said Thursday afternoon. “We are going to be mixing up the scene.”
The rental shop will be handling not only skis and snowboards, but mountain bikes as well, he said. Windham will open at 8 a.m. Sunday and remain open until 4 p.m.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
How can they open only their upper trails?  All the lifts go to the bottom except Wheelchair and East Peak.  I suppose they could open Wolverine off the Wheelchair lift and have downloading on the HSQ, but that is really unusual.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Desperate times call for des....unusual measures!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!