Windham Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
76 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Windham Conditions

marznc
As posted on the Windham website on Jan. 1, 2018.  Reduced lift tickets prices for New Year's Day.

Mountain Report | Windham Mountain Resort

New year, new planetary! On Saturday, there was a mechanical issue with our Whirlwind Express High Speed Quad (A lift). After further inspection it was determined that there was a gear failure in the planetary section of the drive train that was undetectable until the failure occurred. All of the safety systems did their job detecting the problem and the lift was stopped as a precaution. The evacuation drive could not be used in this instance since it is part of the gearbox drive line.  A new planetary was shipped from Salt Lake City yesterday.  It will be installed as soon as it arrives to get the lift up and running as soon as possible. Yesterday’s delay on the East Peak Express (G lift) has been addressed and was not due to a mechanical failure.

We recognize that not having one of our high speed lifts open is an inconvenience. We also understand that temperatures are forecasted to be below average this week. Therefore, lift ticket prices have been reduced.  Prices for Monday 1/1/18 are: $66 for Adults, $51 for Youth, $54 for Seniors (65+), $47 for Seniors (75+), and $54 for College Students.
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
In reply to this post by Harvey
There was little wind on Saturday when the lift broke down and it was a relatively warm 13 degrees.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Seven inches new at Windham this afternoon. Should be nice tomorrow under clear skies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
7 inches fell overnight last night. Maybe a little more today.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Harvey wrote
7 inches fell overnight last night. Maybe a little more today.
The woods only had the new snow; last Saturday's event torched the non-snowmaking cover.
Reply | Threaded
|

Windham 1/17/18

Icecoastchef
In reply to this post by Harvey
Great conditions at Windham today. Arrived to around 6” of fresh and still snowed for the first half of the day. Almost everything was open. Best runs were Wedel, Wildcat and Wolf’s Prey. Shout out to Ron White for an excellent lesson!

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windham 1/17/18

Brownski
Looks like some good timing there chef
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Icecoastchef
This post was updated on .
Definitely. It was fun to finally check out the Wilderness Bowl. Still a bit unclear as to what exactly is considered in bounds there. Ron said they’re planning to cut another few trails through that section. Easily the best and most unique part of the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
My wife, son, and I skied Weds afternoon and all of Thursday. The skies cleared overnight and it was bluebird from our hotel window Thursday morning:

Heading out:

While the single-digit overnight temps firmed things up on steeper pitches, conditions were very good on most of the mountain, especially after last weekend's rain/fog/flash-freeze: props to Windham's snowmakers and groomers.

From East Peak/Bearpen in the distance:

My wife and I lapped our Top 2 trails repeatedly: World Cup (formerly known as "Wedgie")

... and Whiskey Jack:

My son liked Wanderer and on the other end of the ski area, Wonderama :

Late afternoon: returning to the pleasant Winwood Inn:

That evening at Rock'n Mexicana Cantina -- always great not to have to leave your hotel for happy hour and dinner:

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Nice timing, James. Looks like a nice time had by all!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Overcast, about 33 or 34 degrees I'd guess. Snow is good though
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
The biggest benefit of having your company's drivers represented by the Teamsters? You end up shutting down for EVERY possible holiday, including Lincoln's Birthday. So I get a nice day of hot laps and no crowds every year around this time.

There was a lot of old fashioned EC boiler plate. They must have been short staffed or got a late start grooming cause there were cats all over the place all morning. Certainly they had some crazy temperature swings to deal with over the weekend. That may have contributed to a late start.

A lot  of what was groomed was left chunky or uneven.

A patroller picking up trash under the lift

Lunch

Is pretty crazy how fast conditions can change around here. Hopefully, things improve soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

brooklynrob
Writing from the bus. More later. Short story is good day at Windham but I have no idea how the mountain stays open after the mid week thaw and rain.

We actually did this one day on bus today in lieu of a planned 3 day Gore run starting tomorrow that all in would have been 5x - 6x with hotel, rental car, and meals. Disaster averted on those plans.

So bummed by this weather. For those of us in the city who can't pop up for a single day midweek this winter has been tragic.
Reply | Threaded
|

brooklynrob
Returned to Windham yesterday.

Boy, what a difference a couple weeks and two snow storms makes. Went Saturday (3/10) to Windham and the conditions were fantastic. Still some untracked on the sides and lots of fresh to be had in the trees, which I spent part of the day exploring (note to Windham -- there are a couple really natural places in the mountain to do some light clearing on to turn into more accessible glade areas that would really add a ton to the mountain). The Whataride glades were in great shape, and there were a ton of tree runs to be had between Lower Wolverine and Lower Wipeout. Got caught in knee+ deep snow in trees between Mini Park and Wapeka run when I didn't fully commit and lost speed. And a top of Lower Wipeout there is a nice tree run that starts with a little bridge over a stream thing before wrapping through the trees for about 100'.

A couple icy spots from high traffic (e.g., Upper Whistler) or wind (top of Wing'N It, top of Upper Wheelchair) or both (headwall of Windfall). FYI, I heard from ski patrol that they believe plan is to keep the two bumped out under the lift runs (Wing'N it and Wheelchair) bumped out for now -- not going to groom them down. Ski patrol also said Windham's conditions right now are best they have seen in 5 years, and I'd have to agree it's in great shape. If they get another 3-4" this week as they looks they might next weekend should be really great too.

Was great to finally ride Wayout and Upper Wipeout and worth the transverse walk on Wide Connection -- never had seen them open.

Side note: Took me 4 trips to notice all the train names begin with W.
Reply | Threaded
|

brooklynrob
Did not take pics yesterday at Windham but did grab this -- it's the top of Wheelchair under the wheelchair double lift around midday

Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Conditions were great there yesterday 3/26. If you can get there before they close, I recommend it.

tom