Woodstream Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Woodstream Conditions

Ethan Snow
To answer your long long awaited question, I think they've been pretty good. We've had snow on the ground more days than not, so that's a lot better than some years. The snow from last Sunday and today are going to have us in full-send mode yet again.

Here's a few photos from earlier in January.

These guys here are what I like to call "Jerreys"

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Still in Full send mode. I think we'll have a little snow left after this. This is real corn snow right here. A lot of run.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Ethan, are you going to be making anymore snow this season?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yea man what up? We skiers are making our pass decisions for next year!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
Very sendy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Ethan, are you going to be making anymore snow this season?
That's the plan. I'm on break from school next week, and my brother comes home from college the following week. If the temps allow I will be making as much as I can to end the season strong.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
You don't make snow overnight, do you?  I imagine you prefer to keep an eye on it while it's running.....
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa

You guys are in the cross-hairs for this one... Big Pow day to come at Woodstream!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
That's for sure! Too bad the ground is wet, and it's going to begin as rain. It means there will be wet spots where the snow won't stick.

Plattekill should pick up a good amount as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
You don't make snow overnight, do you?  I imagine you prefer to keep an eye on it while it's running.....
I do, but I can only get bout 3-4 hours of sleep when I make snow at night because things do have to be checked on, and adjusted.  I usually pull a few all-nighters on the snowmaking. I did not this year, which I regret now,  but will if I fire up again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
This is a must see right here. Big thanks to the SUNY Oneonta Ski and Snowboard club for this edit.

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
That's just awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Very cool
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Ooh, night skiing too!  Well done!
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I have a question, being an older than dirt skier that likes to keep her skis on the snow.  When you hit features, other than the snow jumps, what does it do to the bottom of your board/skis?  Do you have to sharpen edges and/or wax more often?

Thanks!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Good question. A properly maintained park feature will be coated with a fairly thick layer of wax frequently which acts as a lubricant between the feature and the skis/board,

All of our rails/ boxes at Woodstream are made out of PVC, and don't do any damage to the skis or board. Metal rails can eventually wear your edges down a little, but again, with enough wax on the rail won't do too much damage.

I'm not a park rat. I hit stuff occasionally, but my friends are responsible for all the features you see.
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
I like that you can bypass the box and rail by skimming the pond
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Very cool video
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Once again Woodstream is gearing up for what could possibly be an incredible season. I am starting almost an entire month later than normal which may seen strange considering such a snowy November.  A lot has changed this year. We put in a new pond which required removing the lower half of the snowmaking system, and also completely rerouting the Lower Susky trail which now wraps around directly behind  the skiers left of the new pond, and is significantly wider but also more consistent than before. Upper Susky was also re-routed  directly down the skiers right of the pond rather than merging with the terrain park in the past.

Upper and Lower Susky still don't have snowmaking, but as before, the Terrain park and Porcupine Plunge still do. I had to re-construct the snowmaking shed, and add about 200' of new pipe to reach below the new pond where the shed sits. The rope tow path was also dozed flat this summer making a smoother and easier ride to the top. The terrain park area was also widened at the bottom by moving the pond a little bit to skiers right. This will allow us to build two large kickers in a row instead of 1 this year.

I started making snow Saturday Night and have 26 hours of snowmaking to date. The goal is to achieve about another 25 or so hours before the potential snowfall this weekend. Some big kickers are on their way.

Pond re-construction

New lower Susky (is this even a trail? with Upper Susky funneling in directly behind the shed

Widened rope tow path

And another new trail currently unnamed, was cut  from the very top of the property. Requires some hiking to get to, and connects to Big Blue further down. This does have some steeper spots to it further down, and even requires dropping directly off of, or in-between some rock ledges in one spot.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I am just so impressed with what you do! I went back and looked at the video you posted last season. Keep up the great work!!!!