Woodstream Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
52 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Woodstream Conditions

Ethan Snow
It's ironic that I'm just starting this thread in April. I should have started it back in January when we technically were skiing, but I guess I didn't feel like it. Today was an exciting day. When I woke up, I found out that my brother, and sister had the day off from school, and my mom who is a teacher in another school district was also off. My classes in Delhi were not canceled however. I headed out around 11 AM for my 12:30 class. It's normally a 40 minute commute, so I figured giving myself double time would be plenty. I was wrong. Route 28 had not been touched by the plows, and as I began climbing out of the Susquehanna valley, I quickly encountered an 18 wheeler sliding sideways down the road. I made a U-turn before he got to me, and headed back. I have driven in snow before, but this snow was exceptionally bad, because the overly optimistic state of New York already put the plows away for the "Summer."

Skipping college classes feels horrible no matter the circumstances, but skiing on the hard-earned fruit of my labor feels great! I did a little schoolwork online, and then headed out. My friend Ryan, and my brother Joe Snow were also here. This was the first time we had enough snow to ski our new trail Big Blue.

Ryan on Big Blue

Big Blue skis better than anything else at Woodstream. It was very exciting to finally be able to lay in some turns on it. More snow would be ideal, but it was still fun. Part of me would like to focus snowmaking efforts on that trail instead of the front side because of how well it skis, and it's more favorable exposure. The problem is that it is on a different piece of land (long story for another day) and it would be a much longer run of pipe.

Please welcome our new forum member "Joe Snow"
Joe Snow at the base area.

I was not by any means, expecting to ski my new terrain for the first time in April. Nevertheless, it was still a good day, and fingers crossed that next year delivers. I have more Improvements in store as well.

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Woodstream Conditions

Brownski
Very cool Ethan. Keep it up
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Looks like some nice gentle gladed terrain with lots of turn opportunities. Next season you will be having some fun there.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Very cool. You are living a dream whether or not you realize it.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Joe Snow
In reply to this post by PeeTex
For sure. It's essemtially a gentle gladed area that we cleared a 20' path down the middle, and call it a ski trail. It's more fun that way because you can go faster, and make more consistent turns. Almost Everything at Woodstream is glade. I try to keep that stuff cleaned up as much as possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome Joe Snow.

Ethan, your first resume for an industry job should be some fun.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Joe Snow
A DR would make short work of that underbrush and let you enjoy more terrain without needing as much snow.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
PeeTex, we have a pretty hefty mower for our tractor. It's not a DR, but it cuts through that stuff just fine. What you are looking at had already been mowed, but is sticking through the 6 inches of snot we received. If I go much lower in there, I run the risk of damaging my mower.  I may attempt to clean it up a little more this summer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow

In addition to the 8" of powder we received, our spring fed pond never had the chance to freeze over which made for some fun pond skimming.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Ethan, when is there going to be a joint Woodstream/Platty lift ticket?    

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ethan Snow wrote

In addition to the 8" of powder we received, our spring fed pond never had the chance to freeze over which made for some fun pond skimming.
Whiteface may have postponed their pond skimming for warmer temps, but not you guys!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
Ethan, when is there going to be a joint Woodstream/Platty lift ticket?    

I guess when Laz gives me a significant lump sum of cash. But yeah, that's a good idea.

There really is no lift ticket. Its just by donation, and a waiver you sign each day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joe Snow
hmm, it seems that Ethan must have been logged into my account when he made that comment about the Woodstream glades. So, I guess this is actually my first post.
Here is a short little video of Ethan Snow skiing at Woodstream yesterday.

Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Backyard pond skimming, can it get any better?!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

frank7
I want to see him go off the dock and pond skim!
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by BRLKED
BRLKED wrote
Backyard pond skimming, can it get any better?!!!!
Ed! Great to hear from you  Fun skiing with you last weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow

It's official! Woodstream is getting a snowmaking system. Pipe goes in tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
You are living the dream.

Very cool
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I had requests from some of the guys at Plattekill today wanting to see how Woodstream was doing. The answer: it's doing great.

We made a lot of snow a couple weeks ago, and then we recieved two snow events since then plus one small rain event. Currently Woodstream is skiing at full potential, and another 10-14" of HEAVY SNOW is expected tomorrow and tomorrow night.

Morning of Jan 31 building up the pile for the kicker.

building the kicker.

not everything was fun and easy.

Honestly I have always liked playing with water.

But now the place is rockin

And night skiing is good too.

Now offering a joint Plattekill/Woodstream lift ticket. AKA, if you are a Platty season pass holder, you are automatically eligible to ski at Woodstream.

I'll get some photos tomorrow of the Big Blue/ glades.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
How are the conditions at Woodstream this year?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.