classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Worst season ever

MC2 5678F589
ausable skier wrote
What really worries me at this point is WF and probably Gore as well only have 2 and a half more weeks of snowmaking budgeted.  All the snowmakers will be laid off right before P-day weekend.
This is definitely true.  We need to start getting some natural snow or mountain biking season is coming early this year . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
What really worries me at this point is WF and probably Gore as well only have 2 and a half more weeks of snowmaking budgeted.  All the snowmakers will be laid off right before P-day weekend.
Good point.

Also, let's not forget about all the wait staff, bartenders, lifties, and rental/repair shop peeps that have had shifts cut due to the lack of snow/skiers.

Buddy of mine who works in the repair shop at Greek was just telling me he's had MANY shifts of his dropped. I feel bad for him.

How would you like to be a snowmobile dealer right about now
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Hey, how about the owner of Hickory?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
After a whopping quarter inch of snow last night by 10 pm the sleet started mixing in. Looking out this am I've deceided that this is probably the worst season since 79-80. I hope to be proven wrong, maybe we will get some big storms in Feb and March. But as AS points out, if WF snowmaking ops are done by Pres Day its toast...
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
I'm still holding out for Feb..Models still have a colder feel..
But if the models start to go the other way in the next week or so i will declare "It's over Johnny"
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
If there's a good thing there will some MONSTER gobblers around come spring time.

No snow = easy eating = BIG BIRDS
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I heard a lot of mountain town condo owners near VT resorts aren't getting their rents paid by the lifties/bar tenders/other seasonal ski bum types because they're not making anything this year and just have no money. I did hear that a change is going to come and it's going to snow in February, but I'm grasping at straws here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
i will declare "It's over Johnny"
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
i'll see your rambo reference and raise an animal house one

(fixed it- H)
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
It's a good thing SOPA was withdrawn or you guys, and Harvey, could be in some serious trouble for copyright infringement!!!

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I still think Feb will come through..

"Nothing is over!!! You just don't turn it off"

<nabble_embed> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBuvRk1thQ</nabble_embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBuvRk1thQ
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
You need the "embed" code.

Hah, I've never watched the rest of the scene -- all I knew was "It's over Johnny! It's over!!"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
It's way too early to declare it the worst season ever.  I'm counting on some big storms in Late February/Early March.  And if not, I've got my plane ticket to Alaska, my Avalanche gear on the way, and a possible Heli Skiing trip on the horizon.

If we don't get another flake this year, when the Helicopter drops me on top of a huge, unnamed Alaskan peak and then flies off, leaving me on top of the world, it will STILL feel like the best season ever.
Post of the season.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
These conditions make me do things I usually never do, smearing on the sides at slow speeds.  Skiing with my sister and her husband,  I try to show them some carving  techniques.  then we have a nice extra long lunch at the Tannery .  
Figure if you get up on the lift at ten then take an hour lunch at around twelve, then from one till 3:30 when my son's Mounrain Adventure is over.  Not so bad plus the views are nice.    On sundays we ski with all the kids, I make vids and have fun till two pm.  Beats working  '
On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny, You started this post a whopping 6 days ago with the premise "Worst Season Ever" , or did I fall asleep and wake up on April 1st. Looking out the window its hard to tell. Worst ever, no question.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
The temp hit 60 again today here in North Jersey.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Break out the ark!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
So with the backdrop of "worst season ever", what awaits me this weekend at Gore?  It's my first time venturing out out of my weekend instructing gig at Mtn Creek since New Years.  I'm repping a great new ski company called Rocky Mountain Underground or "RMU" http://www.rockymountainunderground.com this season, but I don't dare bring my new set of Apostles up to show off to the tele community if there's going to be no snow.  I guess there's always cocktails at the Gore bar???  Are the tree runs completely devoid of snow?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Ok. I'll fess up. This bad weather is my fault. After years of winter driving with regular tires on one of my cars, I went whole hog and put good snow tires on all four corners. Yep. Great tires. Finally all ready for winter .....

And wouldn't you know it....NO FRIGGIN SNOW!!!!!!

Shoulda saved the coin.

Sorry Dudes, Dudettes and lil Dudekids.
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
It's amazing how resilient Gore is.  For as bad as this season has been, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well Gore has managed the mountain.  Everything that was open was totally skiable and Lies and Haweye had the guns going full blast Saturday, so it was big fluffy "hero bumps."  Sagamore was groomed flat, I don't think I've ever seen that before.  Actually quite a lot of fun to see race kids doing drills on it.  They even had the guns blazing on Sunway so my 5 year old son could experience a little manmade pow-pow.  We took our friends up for their first time  this weekend and they were instanly sold on getting a seasonal next year and that's without them skiing any woods.  I think I'll reconsider the drive and bite the bullet next year if they're serious.  And best of all my wife says I can have a year off of teaching!!!  A season of freesking Gore, someone pinch me!