classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
frk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

glade cleanup

frk
anyone interested in glade cleanup during the 6 week gondi run? a little preseason cleaning will result in lots more fun this season.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: glade cleanup

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
What mountain?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
given that he is talking about a gondi must be WF or Gore

I've been told that WF does not allow non employees to go up and trim glades due to APA restrictions.  I know at Stowe they have a rich tradition of locals pruning their own lines.  But at WF it is a big no no.  In recent years rumor has it that the ski Patrol has cut some glades at WF in a unspecified location

Does this happen at Gore?
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
If you are suggesting WF just don't go crazy and use chainsaws etc like the boys over at Jay Peak did a while back and got caught. Hand tools only please and be discreet. With a few guys and handtools it's amazing what can be cleared.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
unofficial clean up of course using small hand tools and manpower to remove blowdown. the jay glades are so much fun to ski because you don't have to worry about the unseen. i'm thinking about gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
No offense but it's pretty dumb to post something like this on a forum that I can almost guarantee gore officials read. It's one of those things where they will tell the lifties to check bags if you look like your carrying something other than lunch. Or you can walk, it's a pretty easy hike to the top of the Gondi, or top of the mountain at that.

And as stated before if you do go, small groups, hand tools, and be respectful. Especially if you are cleaning someone else's work. If it's not on the ground leave it, even if it looks like it's in the way it could be apart of their line. Obvious things like a broken tree are fine. If you making your own, don't do it in plain sight where come winter and all the leaves are gone you can see the trail from the lift. And lastly if your making your own, make small, narrow entrances!!!! Harder to find/get into = less traffic
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
there is so much blow down still in the woods at WF from the ice storm 10 years ago without a chain saw you would not be accomphishing much and as Condor said chansaws are verbotten
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Would seem that original posters subtle comments above removing blowdown wouldn't ruffle as many feathers as some of the other posts
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Interesting tale KId. ^^^

Cordless sawzalls are very handy. I use mine quite a bit clearing trails. Long wood cutting blade and you can reach up fairly high.

Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Gore has an advantage over WF in this regard.  IMO the APA is much tougher on protecting the WF and the high peaks then they are concerning Gore and the southern ADK's

For example WF can do no trail work above 3000 feet until after a fairly late date - Aug 15 i think it is due to the nesting habits of the wood thrush.  There is staff on the mountain and you can hear a power saw from really far away.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
I thought the management at Gore was smart and, instead of hassling and prosecuting trail cutters, they somewhat embraced them and used their talents to build new tree runs, like Pinebrook.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by frk
The 1st rule of the glades is do not talk about the glades (on the internet).

The 2nd rule of the glades is...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Unauthorized cutting is strictly prohibited in The Adirondack Park in general and punishable by fine/imprisonment.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
DARKSIDED wrote
The 1st rule of the glades is do not talk about the glades (on the internet).
+1 to that.

Another good rule: If you can't hack it, don't hack it. Or as Yoda would say: If you, hack it, cannot, hack it, do not.  

Corollary: If you do hack it, hack responsibly, legally, keep it to yourself and be prepared for the consequences.

Corollary to the corollary: Sometimes it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. On the other hand, it sucks to go to jail and/or pay a fat fine. Just ask the "swath-masters" of Big Jay fame. Then again, sometimes if you ask permission you might be surprised at the answer you get.

Yoda out.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by 70s Gore Kid
MRG is pretty strict in their line about no local cuts now. They have official work crews every late summer/early fall if you want to help. Otherwise, most trees area already skiable anyways.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
With the winds from yesterday, I am sure there is plenty of cleanup that will be needed on all of the glades but especially the darkside as the rotating winds were primarily out of the NE all day and evening.If you have the time over the next few weekends, please take some time to come up and help us cleanup. Thanks!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
What do some backcountry skiers do when there is no snow? Forest management. IMO, any good hill in our part of the world could use some stand improvement, and that's what happened today at one local stash. Lest you get up in arms, all of this activity took place on private property, at the invitation of the landowner. Now I've got my season's pass for one of the hottest tree skiing destinations in the Hinterlands.

Tools of the trade. I am digging the Lithium battery upgrade on the sawzall. If I could only bring one tool, the telescoping lopper would be it. Best of all, it's made in Canada, eh.

We added a new chute to the trail map:
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by 70s Gore Kid
I am unfamiliar with how Paradise was created so I want comment or dispute your statement. However, locals are NOT cutting the current lines on the mountain. MRG has a forestry management program in place that does involve several work days during the fall that both work to regenerate tree growth in problem areas and maintain old lines AND open new lines. However, the mountain strictly forbids people from cutting on the mountain themselves. Given how expansive MRG's trees already are and that there is an official program in place that you can volunteer for, it should NOT be suggested in any way that it is acceptable to cut at MRG unless on an official work day.

That said, this thread is kinda silly. If you are going to go rouge at any mountain without work crews you can volunteer for, the first rule is to be discrete.

Oh man, this was a bumped thread, had no idea until after posting.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Props to SBR...

I got the invite, was poised on the precipice, and bailed last minute.  
Something to do with the lure of the almighty $....

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.