classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

hurricane snow

Glade Runner
Banned User
Has anyone here ever skied in the apalachins? I noticed with hurricane season in the fall one year recently they got dumped on 3 feet or more in late october during hurricane sandy.  From what Ive heard snowshoe is the biggest place to go there.  Is that true and does anyone have any experiences from there to share?  Was hurricane snow a freak thing or is that something that is known to happen early season in that area?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: hurricane snow

PeeTex
I've skied Snow shoe before. They have elevation, at 5200' at the top they get a lot of snow. But the trails are a short bit of pitch and then a long run out. There is another resort beside Snowshow, Silver Creek - skied it too - same issue but in spades. The places I liked better were Timberline and Canaan Valley, they seemed to have better snow and more consistent pitch, for some reason they got a lot more snow - Winterplace is just too far south and the one timeI went there I regretted it. But all that was about 20 years ago when I spent a brief time D.C. I also got a chance to ski other smaller places like Massanutten, Bryce, Wintergreen & Ski Liberty.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Sounds like an awesome time.  Did they ever fire up any lifts or did you hike every run?  Thats dedication.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Hiked, I skied 3 resorts in 3 days, all in the canaan valley; Whitegrass XC (awesome place on a hill with tons of BC around it), Timberline (steepest of the 3, cool vibe around it), and Canaan Valley Resort.

Here's my last shot from the last day before going home:

Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Awesome.  That's dedication.  How many runs do you think you got in a day?
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
great October stoke! I'd like to do a trip to whitegrass with the xcd setup one day
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Awesome.  That's dedication.  How many runs do you think you got in a day?
Tough to say. It was dumping snow the first two days, on that day the sun was finally out but we had to do the long drive back so we only got two very beautiful ones in. Just thinking about it puts a smile on my face and makes me want to visit the other thread so I can yell about how powder is different in the east than in the west.

What a great way to end it:

Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
pics look awesome as well
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Epic-Snow-Storms-f5001460.html

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote

tree skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Thankfully, I'm older an wiser now. They should drag big orange nets around the woods so no one ventures in. That would look so cool, too, with plastic safety orange separating people from the dangerous nature. Maybe they should draw lines on the trails like on the highways so people can stay in their separate lanes.