longest expert

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

longest expert

freshyslayer
What is the longest uninterupted expert trail in the east?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: longest expert

miker92
That is an incredibly tough question to answer. Depends on what you mean by uninterrupted. Very few expert trails have a consistent pitch. Take, for example, Hawkeye at Gore (WHICH IS CLEARLY NOT IN THE RUNNING LENGTHWISE BY ANY DEFINITION)- it has a few steep pitches and a few totally flat spots. So would a trail like that not qualify?

Also, do you mean length in vertical drop or actual distance covered on skis? The latter would be incredibly hard to measure. Even vertical drop of a single trail would have to be estimated- resorts generally don't have that information at the ready.

Also, do trails that are essentially continuous but have two different names count? Trails like Chute -> Liftline at Mad River?

If I had to make a general guess, the following mountains would come to mind, just knowing that they have rather large vertical drops and fairly consistent faces.

Whiteface
Sugarbush
Jay Peak
Stowe
Killington

Mountains I'm pretty sure would not have this (not going to bother listing really small places):

Gore
Stratton
Okemo
Mt. Snow
Sugarloaf
Smugglers Notch
Sunday River

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Do you mean longest mileage wise? Or longest sustained pitch?

There are some long expert trails at Sugarloaf . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
I was thinking how there aren't any trails that go from the summit of Sugarloaf to the base though if I remember correctly... I've only been there once though.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Is this the longest trail that is rated expert? The most vert? Or the longest sustained pitch over XX% grade?

I have no idea, but I'd really like to hear what people think.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
This post was updated on .
The downhill run at Le Massif - La Charlevoix- should be considered.
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
Ahh, thinking outside the box. The box being the US.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by freshyslayer
my guess is either Skyward Upper and Lower at Whiteface or one of the front four at Stowe
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I would say Willmington Trail.  Oh yeah that a green trail.  BAH tell that to the intermediates that ski it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by Z
Longest uninterrupted could have many meanings.  If it means "one trail", that would discard runs like Skyward at WF and Organgrinder at Sugarbush because of the upper and lower monikers making them two trails.  Antelope at MR is the same although part of it is blue (blue for Mad River stats, which would be black at say, Stratton).  That being said Cascade at Kmart is long and only one trail, and although without bumps it is just a blue, Sagamore is 1.25 miles and it is rated black.  I would image Wildcat has some long ones but I've never been there and Sugarloaf, like WF they label upper and lower but Bubblecuffer and Gondola line are long like skyward and cloudspin...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Liftline @ Smuggs...dunno if it's the longest but it sure is cool
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
I mean longest without an easier way out. I think it might be Hoyts High. upper and lower sky is 2 trails and webers way lets you take and easier way to victoria which is not a black diamond. I guess it would be interesting to know vert and mileage. Hoyts is one long expert trail that you can not escape to something with a lower rating
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Tramline and Kinsman Glades at Cannon are long without any bailouts.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242

Anyone remember the old Sunday River ads for White Heat?
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
In reply to this post by freshyslayer
freshyslayer wrote
I mean longest without an easier way out. I think it might be Hoyts High. upper and lower sky is 2 trails and webers way lets you take and easier way to victoria which is not a black diamond. I guess it would be interesting to know vert and mileage. Hoyts is one long expert trail that you can not escape to something with a lower rating
I was waiting for a definition.

Random, in no particular order, long expert runs with no bailout.

Never managed to ski Tramline/Kinsman at Cannon, but they would have to be included.
Liftline (and runs around like Freefall or Robin's) at Smuggs
Any of the front four and Chin Clip at Stowe
Skyward and Cloudspin at Whiteface
Charlevoix (as way more serious when it was the '42') at Le Massif
S, Super S and neighbouring runs at Mt Ste-Anne.

I would like to say Paradise or Chute/Liftline, however the first one might not have the length compared to the ones mentioned above and there is an example or two when you are skiing under the single.

The ultimate no bailout on your own trail was the old '42' at Le Massif before they build the Charlevoix trail. It was alone, no ski-in or ski-out top-to-bottom and far from the other trails.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
It would bother me if a single trail that is actually much shorter than the Skyward or Organgrinder combos earned the title. IMO if it's basically the same trail and flows together in the same run without taking a totally different trail to connect, it should count.
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
70s Gore Kid wrote
From my current home in the Mid Atlantic, Snowshoe has the longest Black Diamond south of mid-Vermont:
Shay's Revenge and Cupp Run:  both 1500 vertical feet of black diamond terrain.  And no, they are not intermediate trails called black diamond!
That is why I mentioned the Charlevoix Trail at Le Massif.

Charlevoix trail :
- Upper part (rated triple black) is 1300 meters long (until you can exit the trail - still black diamond or take the midstation of the lift.
- Lower part is 920m long (single black)

Total : 2220 meters long.

Here is what I found:

http://www.lemassif.com/en/montagne/centrenational

Total Length:
2,200 m / 7,217 ft

Steepest Pitch:
64% (33 degrés)
Summit Altitude:
721 m / 2,366 pi

Men’s Downhill:
677 m / 2,221 ft & 556 m / 1,824 ft

http://www.lemassif.com/docs/4f633f280f3af/orig/Massif-Charlevoix-Complet.pdf
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Tramline and Kinsman Glades at Cannon are long without any bailouts.
Yup, this. Uninterrupted to me means no other options once you start down the trail. These two trails are around 1300-1400' vert or so with absolutely no way to bail to another option.

Many runs mentioned so far are good long expert runs but many have bail options or crossing trails and other such options. The OP stepped in to provide a definition so you gotta go with that or else all sorts of other trails that don't meet the criteria could be considered.
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
In reply to this post by MadPatSki
MadPatSki wrote
70s Gore Kid wrote
From my current home in the Mid Atlantic, Snowshoe has the longest Black Diamond south of mid-Vermont:
Shay's Revenge and Cupp Run:  both 1500 vertical feet of black diamond terrain.  And no, they are not intermediate trails called black diamond!
That is why I mentioned the Charlevoix Trail at Le Massif.

Charlevoix trail :
- Upper part (rated triple black) is 1300 meters long (until you can exit the trail - still black diamond or take the midstation of the lift.
- Lower part is 920m long (single black)

Total : 2220 meters long.

Here is what I found:

http://www.lemassif.com/en/montagne/centrenational

Total Length:
2,200 m / 7,217 ft

Steepest Pitch:
64% (33 degrés)
Summit Altitude:
721 m / 2,366 pi

Men’s Downhill:
677 m / 2,221 ft & 556 m / 1,824 ft

http://www.lemassif.com/docs/4f633f280f3af/orig/Massif-Charlevoix-Complet.pdf
The steepest pitch is 33 degrees and they rate it a triple black?