person who skis vs skier

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

person who skis vs skier

freeheeln
we all have heard the person who says" i ski". what differentiates them from a skier, what are some of your defining moments.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: person who skis vs skier

campgottagopee
For me that's simple.

If you're a skier it's a lifestyle

If you just ski, well, you just ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by freeheeln
Skier
Plays hookie from work
First chair up
Last chair down
Earns some turns
It's never too cold
Never never too much snow
Buys SUV so weather is not a factor
Someone who skis always has some issue with something
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Thehof wrote
SkierPlays hookie from workFirst chair upLast chair downEarns some turnsIt's never too coldNever never too much snow Buys SUV so weather is not a factorSomeone who skis always has some issue with something
Good analogy fits me perfectly
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Thehof
Thehof wrote
Skier
Plays hookie from work
First chair up
Last chair down
Earns some turns
It's never too cold
Never never too much snow
Buys SUV so weather is not a factor
Someone who skis always has some issue with something
None of these are true.

I don't "play hookie" (although I did consciously take a job that has more personal days I can use to ski)
I almost never get the first chair or last chair (these are bragging rights for people who don't ski very often and need to maximize every day)
I earn turns now, but didn't when I was younger (and it didn't make me any less of a skier)
It can definitely be too cold
There's too much snow if they close down all the roads and I can't get to the mountain (although I'd probably play around on XC skis near my house)
I don't have an SUV (and people who think "real skiers drive SUVs" are car company marketing executives' wet dreams)
I don't complain (except on Internet forums when people make ridiculous posts... And some other times)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
A skier has enough gear stashed in closets for anyone to borrow something if they forgot.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by freeheeln
People can define themselves however they want. If you want to call yourself a skier, fine, you're a skier.

There's no word police going around and checking on people, making sure they participate in their chosen activity enough times to qualify for a self imposed title.

And that would be stupid anyway. Let's say Skier A goes to Mountain Creek one night a week for 12 weeks a year. Let's say Skier B takes one two week vacation to Aspen a year and that's the only skiing he does. Who is more of a skier? Both? Neither? Does it matter if they both claim to be skiers, read ski magazines and spend time on skiing forums? Do you make comments behind their backs that they aren't REAL skiers? Why? Who cares?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote
People can define themselves however they want. If you want to call yourself a skier, fine, you're a skier.

There's no word police going around and checking on people, making sure they participate in their chosen activity enough times to qualify for a self imposed title.

And that would be stupid anyway. Let's say Skier A goes to Mountain Creek one night a week for 12 weeks a year. Let's say Skier B takes one two week vacation to Aspen a year and that's the only skiing he does. Who is more of a skier? Both? Neither? Does it matter if they both claim to be skiers, read ski magazines and spend time on skiing forums? Do you make comments behind their backs that they aren't REAL skiers? Why? Who cares?
That's all very true. I think there are differences tho. I'll use myself as an example.

I used to call myself a golfer, skier, hunter. Those activities defined my time away from work. Now I'm a skier, hunter and not a golfer. I still play golf, but at best, very limited. I'm no longer a golfer, but just a person who plays golf.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
A little serious are we. I thought this a light hearted thread. Sorry if I hit a nerve

None of these are true.

I don't "play hookie" (although I did consciously take a job that has more personal days I can use to ski)
I almost never get the first chair or last chair (these are bragging rights for people who don't ski very often and need to maximize every day)
I earn turns now, but didn't when I was younger (and it didn't make me any less of a skier)
It can definitely be too cold
There's too much snow if they close down all the roads and I can't get to the mountain (although I'd probably play around on XC skis near my house)
I don't have an SUV (and people who think "real skiers drive SUVs" are car company marketing executives' wet dreams)
I don't complain (except on Internet forums when people make ridiculous posts... And some other times)

"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
mattchuck2 wrote
This is true, but there is a significant difference between someone who sees skiing as a lifestyle and someone who simply views skiing as a recreational activity.  Think about it from a social perspective.  I was never able to maintain a long-term relationship with a woman who was not a "real" skier.  When the snow started falling, my priority became the mountains, my old-lady often felt neglected, and the relationship would end sometime in January, repeat next season.  Fortunately I ended the cycle when I found a fanatical female on a snowboard to call my wife.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
nepa wrote
When the snow started falling, my priority became the mountains, my old-lady often felt neglected...
Maybe your problem is that women don't generally like being referred to as your "old lady".

Sorry if I misunderstood the thread. If this was supposed to be a lighthearted "Things Real Skiers Do" post, then carry on in that direction. I just feel like, when it comes to fun activities, people should be able to call themselves what they want.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
mattchuck2 wrote
Maybe your problem is that women don't generally like being referred to as your "old lady".
I don't think I have a problem...  My wife likes it when I call her my old lady.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
mattchuck2 wrote
 people should be able to call themselves what they want.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Ted, this is way off topic but in this weeks This American Life there's a story about a girl that thought she was a dog. If you're taking any long drives, you should download the podcast and give it a listen. Crazy stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Looks forward to storms and can ski powder well.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Ted, this is way off topic but in this weeks This American Life there's a story about a girl that thought she was a dog. If you're taking any long drives, you should download the podcast and give it a listen. Crazy stuff.
Booking my trip West as we speak. I'll check it out.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Looks forward to storms and can ski powder well.
Disagree on skiing powder well, those 80+ guys aren't pow hounds for the most part but they're out there every day. skiers.

same with kids that can't do anything but flail.

if they love it, they're skiers.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This is one of the silliest questions I have ever heard.  There is no hard definition and each person's view is different.  I say that there is the dedicated skier and the casual skier.  Both are important to the ski industry.  The dedicated skiers buy season passes at the beginning of the year and that gives the mountain lots of money all at once to use for improvements.  The causal skier generally buys day tickets during the year which are most of the funding for operations during the year.  For mountains to be profitable, they need both season pass and lift ticket sales.  When Hunter got their new 6-pack, it was paid for by season passholders who bought passes within a few years of the date it was ordered.  The snowmaking, grooming, and other mountain operations are paid for by the daily ticket sales that happen throughout the year.  Both of these streams of revenue are needed for ski areas to be profitable.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

A skier is someone who consistently patronizes the oil companies, buying their overpriced fuel to get to the mountain, traveling upwards of 300+ miles one way to get there.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I ski, therefore I am.
Ok that's enough,  move along, nothing to see here.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.