classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

rant on stupid helmet cameras

ausable skier
here is my rant of the day

I've noticed over the past weekend that more and more people are skiing and riding with cameras on thier helmuts

here is my take if you rip then i have no problem with this but to see the overweight tourist skier wedge turning with a helmet cam on just stupid.  It seems the vast majority of folks with these cameras are far from ripping.

who wants to watch on utube a fat dad wedge turning?
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: rant on stupid helmet cameras

Condor
lingerlonger i knew you would return....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by ausable skier
Who cares if they want a camera they can buy one this only will help the technology of the hd cameras. They sell bikinis to all shapes of people not just models. No one says you have to watch.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Don't you know it's a safety issue.  If some out of control snowboarder or skier runs the dad or his kid down, then there's a record for the ski patrol and lawyers.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i'm thinking of buying one..they are kind of cool...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
ausable skier wrote
Did someone ask you to watch?
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
i'm thinking of buying one..they are kind of cool...
I've been doing some research....I think the V.I.O. POV HD sounds like the best so far. It's pricey but offers more than comparable cams including the bestselling GoPro. Here's a Youtube review by a guy who rides trail bikes in the UK who has checked out all the POV cams. V.I.O. is his recommendation for the best out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
ausable skier wrote
here is my rant of the day
I think by classifying it as a rant, you get an extra layer of immunity.

Maybe in the off topic, we could have "The Rant Thread."  

Then you could be totally out there and you'd be cloaked in a cone of acceptability.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Condor just got an LCD display for his GoPro, it's pretty sweet, if I do say so myself.
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
fujative wrote
Condor just got an LCD display for his GoPro, it's pretty sweet, if I do say so myself.

Any reports from the field on screen brightness in daylight and whether it drains the battery significantly?  Just curious...saw a complaint about these two things by a reviewer on Amazon.

Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Funky Polak
Funky Polak wrote
ausable skier wrote
Did someone ask you to watch?
Right...they don't do it for others to watch...they do it for themselves, family and friends who are in it to watch later.

There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Just got back from Colorado (Summit county), and they're all over the place, I guess because there's a few places renting them for the day. Another video that will be sitting on somebody's desk top unwatched for years until the hard drive crashes.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Michaeltokyo wrote
fujative wrote

Any reports from the field on screen brightness in daylight and whether it drains the battery significantly?  Just curious...saw a complaint about these two things by a reviewer on Amazon.

i didnt really buy the lcd screen to use on the go pro 24/7. makes it too bulky. i usually just keep it in my pocket, look at the vid on the chairlift, and decide if its worth keeping or not. so battery life i cant comment for. on realy bright days it does help to cover the sides of the camera to get a shadow, however there is a brightness setting that does help when viewing. overall im really happy with it. makes viewing really conveneint. only complaint is you cant go back more than one video if you need to delete something. but like i said i usually just watch the vid right after the run and go from there
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Condor, thanks for the comments on your GoPro LCD.  I ordered the VIO unit and hope to be trying it out at Whiteface this weekend.  I wanted something for motorcycling and trail riding as well and I think the VIO might be a little better suited for those activities.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I guess i have to accept that I'm wrong as this thread has turned into a discussion of cameras and those that love them as opposed to dissing them.  To each their own
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ausable skier wrote
I guess i have to accept that I'm wrong as this thread has turned into a discussion of cameras and those that love them as opposed to dissing them.  To each their own
I'm not a big fan of helmet cams.  

The advantage is that there isn't much shot setup or down time. You can shoot and ski.  At NSBS last week, I was skiing with much stronger skiers, and was really concerned about slowing them down. As a result I shot mostly stills.

The disadvantage to me is that skiing looks more natural when the camera man isn't skiing.  It's possible that a chest mounted image stabilized camera on a good skier (quiet upper body) could give better results.

This vid, shot by adkmike is among the most enjoyable I've seen. It's steady enough for me:

With regard to the rant > rant on. Just because you're in the (vocal) minority on this one doesn't mean you're wrong, and it doesn't mean the thread isn't a good one.

Of course in the HR Forum, we're all rippers so the outta shape tourist thing isn't an issue.

Carry on.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Burgerman, I want to see some video of BC's (freeheeln) first trip farther west than Gore...helmet cam's OK by me.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Burgermeister
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
You think Freeheeln has checks his email?????? NOT.  
We have a video TR of the Wallowa trip in production right now.    I'm not much of a TR poster, so holding off for the video link.  Photo's will tell the story.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis