what new gear are you eyeing for 16-17???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
71 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what new gear are you eyeing for 16-17???

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
I did pick up a new Avalanche Transceiver.  Kit, actually.  I got the Ortovox Rescue Kit 3+, in which Ortovox packages the 3+ beacon with a shovel and probe.  Retail for the kit is $405.  I got it shipped for $265 from Freeze Pro Shops (UK).  

Prior to this unit I had a Pieps Freeride.  Affordable little (read: light) unit that I had mainly purchased to satisfy beacon/shovel/probe requirements on Silver Slides days.  However, being a single antenna unit it has its limitations.  In a real BC environment it will serve adequately if someone is searching for you (as all beacons transmit on a single antenna), but being a single antenna unit without directional search guidance the unit requires more practice than most if you need to be able to find someone else.  While all beacons require practice on search mode, the three antenna Ortovox 3+ will be a little more efficient and easier to use if circumstances ever call for it.  If I'm going to be doing more real BC skiing (as opposed to Slides-type sidecountry) it's time for a better unit.

As an added benefit I can now use the two transceivers together to practice, and I have a second set (beacon/shovel/probe) that I can lend out on a Silver Slide day or let my brother use if he joins one of my west coast trips this winter.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
That is a really good price for the kit.  Considerably less than even the Pro price.

I've been thinking of getting a second set up for my son
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Still think of a pair of Voile V6 BC, have found a good deal but am still having second thoughts. Wife thinks I am too old to be wondering about the back woods.

Anybody have any dope on these?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I have them and love them , but your wife is correct and probably too much ski for you anyways
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Wife thinks I am too old to be wondering about the back woods.
What is it you would like to know?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
I have them and love them , but your wife is correct and probably too much ski for you anyways
Do you have the BC version?  Wondering how much glide I will be giving up
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
I do have the BC version. I also had the first year Charger BC in a 171 and I sold them after 2 yrs and got the Vector BC in a 181. I didn't care for the Vectors in that length and should have just kept the Chargers as I liked them a lot better, as the Chargers were a lot quicker and smeared turns were a blast. In regards to the glide, I only notice it on places that are well packed down, like a run out. These are back country skis for me, and thankfully I rarely encounter well packed down areas where I ski
So when the V6 came out, I sold the Vectors and got the V6 BC in the 173. Obviously last winter wasn't great for back country skiing, I did get out on them quite a bit with the last Saturday in January being the best day as we were able to catch 2' plus of powder on Blue Mt, and the V6's shined and put a wide smile on my face, which after all, is the object of the game!
I have the V6's mounted with the NTN Freedoms, which I am not really a fan of because of the neutral ramp angle and the propensity for the front throw to be forced open in crud or crusty snow. I just received the new Objective BC in the 171 and I am waiting for the Moonlight design TTS bindings to come the first week in November. If the TTS bindings work like I hope they do, I will be jettisoning the Freedoms and will get another pair of TTS for the V6s.
Let it snow let it snow!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Fantastic response, appreciate the information. I am AT so I will mount them up with some Vipec 12s. I already have some skins that will likely fit for steeper climbs. I'll pull the trigger next week.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Trigger pulled, the wife will forgive me - I'll go by her a new Subi to replace her 15 YO Forester.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The Voile's and the Vipecs are here, now all I need to do is get'em mounted up. I look forward to giving them a try.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside you da man.   I expect a complete and objective report on the TTS' asap.  Nothing about any NTN has ever piqued my interest. (So many variables that can fuck up).  The TTS' however, look nice and simple... As in, keep it simple , stoooopid.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
The TTS bindings are due to ship 11/1. I am looking forward to skiing them and providing you with an objective review
I do like the NTN "concept", but there are still probably more 75mm skiers out there aand the lack of boot companies that  comprise the selection available show me the execution that Rottefella and 22 D have put forth seem to be lacking something. The Meidjo and TTS bindings may have that something, but time will tell.
Tele had the BC market for decades, and in the last decade, AT has jumped the BC market and tele is now WAY behind
The NTN 'concept" should have been the "holy grail" that we all wanted. But tele boot weight and now lack of cuff rotation (compared to AT boots) are just more hills to climb

Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
AT is certainly a dialled and effecient way to move up and down in the mountains.  But if there's any XC in the equation, either on trails or schwacking the backbush to get to the hills, then AT loses the game.  I grew up skiing, both alpine and nordic...  But when it comes to skiing natty pow pow, nothing can compare to the feeling of a tele turn.  So no AT in my future just yet.

AT will continue to grow as ski areas realize there's money to be made in offering dedicated uphill travel options, as well as more "back country" like down mountain experiences.  This is certainly a good thing for all, even if its's a manufactured and managed "soft adventure".   Even Jack Rabbit himself would agree that anything that gets people out skiing is fantastic.

Meanwhile, I (and my cohorts) will probably continue to enjoy, and at the same time lament, being the only ones in the back of beyond..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

cyepsen
Picked up a pair of Nordica Enforcer 93s and going to mount them up with Outlaws.  I'm very excited!

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Trying to round out my pack, make sure I'm not caught without anything I might need at some point this season.  Just ordered a pair of Marker ski crampons to fit my Barons.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My dad got a new pair of RTM 84's this year.  I'm using his skis from last year, which are 2015 model year RTM 81's.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Nice.  Love the RTM 84.  It's my everyday ski.  

You may want to get something fatter than an 81 mm. Ask Santa Sno Dad for a Kendo for Christmas.  There is going to be a demo day first weekend of December at WF.  Not sure which day yet.  Volkl will be there.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by cyepsen
cyepsen wrote
Picked up a pair of Nordica Enforcer 93s and going to mount them up with Outlaws.  I'm very excited!
You should be....they are sweet.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I bought the E-93 this year.  The dimensions look like they are going to be a fun ski.   Time will tell.  I think I have to get rid of a pair of Billy Goats with marker dukes mounted.  Taking up to much room.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
What kind of shape are they in, and how much do you think you are looking for?  Trying to get my brother to invest in a BC setup.

I can get him into my setup (Nordica El Capo with Marker Baron) for about $600 new, less used.  Decent setup for him because it's a suprisingly good ski in bounds for 107 under foot. However, he'd be open to a used (wider) dedicated BC setup if it saves him a few bucks.