what new gear are you eyeing for 16-17???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
71 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what new gear are you eyeing for 16-17???

Z
Time to start talking new gear.

What are you guys looking at getting this fall?  The trends that the magazines are talking about are

-less width in skis - finally some common sense coming with the width under foot starting to come down as it was not selling thru well especially in the east

- New bindings with different options to accept multiple boot interfaces

- A new boot sole configurations for easier walking and trekking

- Customizable boots

I am going to the Marker Volkl Dalbello rep meeting this weekend so I will report back with what's new and hot from them.

I'm looking at the 90Eight ski and a new boot.  Not sure which one until I try them on Sunday but hopefully the new wider last version of the Dalbello DRS race boot in a 130 flex.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: what new gear are you eyeing for 16-17???

Harvey
Administrator
I'm eyeing up these by Whiteroom:

I need either bindings (RT8 or ?) or maybe mortgage the farm and jump to NTN.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
I'm eyeing up these by Whiteroom:

I need either bindings (RT8 or ?) or maybe mortgage the farm and jump to NTN.
Sweet looking skis, Harv. Vin needs to have some tele mounted demos when he comes down to Platty this season.

I would like to pick up the 22 Designs Outlaw binding and then find a pair of skis to mount them.  But, we'll see.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No new skis or equipment for me this year. If I buy something it sure as shit won't snow again this year.

Buying a new .308 instead  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski
Did he come last year?  I thought no.  Can't wait.  I am going to Smuggs I swear!

This was what he wrote about them on instagram:

"Today a new pair of skis was cooked up in my shop. This is a 174cm mixed camber/rocker design with mixed sidecut. Dimensions: 130/97/114. 30 cm rocker tip, 4 mm camber underfoot and a low tail rocker. These were intended to be a do anything all mountain/freeride ski that will get mounted with tele bindings. It has a beefy flex underfoot with a slightly softer tip and tail. They weigh in at a feathery 4 lbs 2.25 oz each. These should be easy to initiate, swing and smear but should also carve a nice arc. They should also be at home on groomers as well as in the trees, powder, bumps, corn and cut up crud."

Wow he really listened to me. Be interesting to see what I can do with them.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
I'm looking at the 90Eight ski
This ski caught my eye last year.  Is it unchanged this year, Coach?  Also, I assume it can be mounted with tele bindings, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I admit to pulling out my card for new skis when the sales hit last spring but I'm still looking for a deal on the bindings so I may bring them home as flats and stick with my old salomons a little while longer.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Coach Z wrote
I'm looking at the 90Eight ski
This ski caught my eye last year.  Is it unchanged this year, Coach?  Also, I assume it can be mounted with tele bindings, right?

I believe its unchanged from last year.  I will find out for sure Sunday.  For sure it could be mounted with tele bindings and given its lighter weight with its design it would work well for tele.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Did he come last year?  I thought no.  Can't wait.  I am going to Smuggs I swear!

This was what he wrote about them on instagram:

"Today a new pair of skis was cooked up in my shop. This is a 174cm mixed camber/rocker design with mixed sidecut. Dimensions: 130/97/114. 30 cm rocker tip, 4 mm camber underfoot and a low tail rocker. These were intended to be a do anything all mountain/freeride ski that will get mounted with tele bindings. It has a beefy flex underfoot with a slightly softer tip and tail. They weigh in at a feathery 4 lbs 2.25 oz each. These should be easy to initiate, swing and smear but should also carve a nice arc. They should also be at home on groomers as well as in the trees, powder, bumps, corn and cut up crud."

Wow he really listened to me. Be interesting to see what I can do with them.
That description really makes them sound to be the perfect all mountain eastern tele ski. Me jealous.....

It could have been 2 seasons ago when I saw Vin at Platty...but no more since I was already on teles.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
"Today a new pair of skis was cooked up in my shop. This is a 174cm mixed camber/rocker design with mixed sidecut. Dimensions: 130/97/114. 30 cm rocker tip, 4 mm camber underfoot and a low tail rocker.
The stats look good, I hope they work as designed.

Praxis just makes too good a ski, I don't think I'll ever need another pair.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I bought 2 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of bindings, jacket, pants, helmet, poles, goggles, and boots last year.

And a new mountain bike in July.

So, no. No, I will not be buying any new gear this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I did not buy anything last year. I still want to try a pair of BC chargers or something equivalent.
Maybe I will get a pair of those.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Here are the highlights from the MDV Pro Rep meeting I attended yesterday at Okemo

Marker - the big news is that the Royal series now has Sole ID which means that it can work with a Alpine or AT boot sole.  There also is GripWalk a new replaceable sole that goes on Dalbello boots that adds an at easier to hike in sole to Alpine boots.  This feature will be widely available in many other boot brands in the near future all to work with Marker's bindings.  Also the King Pin AT binding is improved and will have good availability for this season unlike last year where it was very hard to find do to the unexpected high demand.

Dalbello - a totally new Race Boot series called the DRS which comes in 93 plug and 98mm widths.  There also based off the same shells but  more relaxed flex and fit called the DMS which is what I am planning on skiing in this year.

Volkl - many of the top skis are unchanged except graphically from last year such as the RTM84 which was the top ski in Ski Mag's test, the Kendo, and the 90Eight.  The two new skis are the Confession a 118 underfoot big mountain ski for strong athletes with some camber underfoot and the Flair SC Uvo a top womens carving ski.

If you have any questions you can ask on here or PM me.

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Coach Z wrote
Here are the highlights from the MDV Pro Rep meeting I attended yesterday at Okemo

Marker - the big news is that the Royal series now has Sole ID which means that it can work with a Alpine or AT boot sole.  There also is GripWalk a new replaceable sole that goes on Dalbello boots that adds an at easier to hike in sole to Alpine boots.  This feature will be widely available in many other boot brands in the near future all to work with Marker's bindings.  Also the King Pin AT binding is improved and will have good availability for this season unlike last year where it was very hard to find do to the unexpected high demand.

Dalbello - a totally new Race Boot series called the DRS which comes in 93 plug and 98mm widths.  There also based off the same shells but  more relaxed flex and fit called the DMS which is what I am planning on skiing in this year.

Volkl - many of the top skis are unchanged except graphically from last year such as the RTM84 which was the top ski in Ski Mag's test, the Kendo, and the 90Eight.  The two new skis are the Confession a 118 underfoot big mountain ski for strong athletes with some camber underfoot and the Flair SC Uvo a top womens carving ski.

If you have any questions you can ask on here or PM me.
Coach, are you going to have demoes of all this stuff for NYSB'ers trips to WF? :)
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Coach,

are the new graphics cooler than last year's?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
No new skis or equipment for me this year. If I buy something it sure as shit won't snow again this year.
I may need to retract my statement regarding snowfall this year. I'm dangerously close to buying a new sled. Haven't had one in years but I have an itch that needs to be scratched so it most likely will happen. Apologies in advance if I jinx snowfall but I can't help myself.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
To be honest I liked last years graphics better on everything but the RTM series
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ml242
There will be a demo day at some point

If you happen to ski the same size as me I'd be happy to arrange you to try out my gear if you stay out of the woods on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Soul 7's mounted with Kingpins
#lifeisshortlivelong

Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
sweet setup bro
I ride with Crazy Horse!