285 messages Options
1 ... 3456789 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: $20M for Whiteface and Gore

ADmiKe
ScottyJack wrote
500K to build two flow trails from Facelift down, run the facelift Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Build a cool amphitheater at the base and hold a summer concert series (four bigger name bands that would attract upwards of 5-10K).  

In two more years BETA will have over 75 miles of trails built between SL,LP and the Wink.  Every destination mtn bike location in the world is anchored with a DH option.  Two flow trails from Facelift down will sell hundreds of mt bike season passes and draw the types of crowds that flock to Burke, Highland, Bromomnet...

Yes, APA will have to approve the zip line.  

Oh yeah upgrade snowmaking please!   and cut the approved trail on Lookout!!!!
SJ...I like everything about that plan!
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Somewhere to sit outside The Tannery entrance and a Hostess to coordinate table seating would go far. The last thing I want to do is stand next to whoever looks like they might leave soon and argue with Jersey Joeys' wife about who was waiting for that table first.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Johnnyonthespot wrote
The last thing I want to do is stand next to whoever looks like they might leave soon and argue with Jersey Joeys' wife about who was waiting for that table first.
Awesome!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
500K to build two flow trails from Facelift down, run the facelift Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Build a cool amphitheater at the base and hold a summer concert series (four bigger name bands that would attract upwards of 5-10K).  

In two more years BETA will have over 75 miles of trails built between SL,LP and the Wink.  Every destination mtn bike location in the world is anchored with a DH option.  Two flow trails from Facelift down will sell hundreds of mt bike season passes and draw the types of crowds that flock to Burke, Highland, Bromomnet...
Agree with this. I would definitely buy a mountain bike season pass if they had some Killington/Whistler-type Gravity Logic flow trails. (They can probably get away with not hiring Gravity Logic, though. $100,000 a mile is pretty expensive).
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
The last thing I want to do is stand next to whoever looks like they might leave soon and argue with Jersey Joeys' wife about who was waiting for that table first.
Awesome!
True story.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
ScottyJack wrote

Yes, APA will have to approve the zip line.  

Oh yeah upgrade snowmaking please!   and cut the approved trail on Lookout!!!!
THIS is why SJ is the Man
Spot on
One question though would the flow trail be on ski trails?
If not would they count against our mileage limit?

Hypothetically speaking Scotty how likely are the zip line and coaster to get approval?

What about the lift?  I don't think that is in an approved master plan at this point is it?
How long would it take to get that approved?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Do the existing bike trails count against the mileage limit that aren't on ski trails?

I don't think they would count as long as they weren't signed as ski trails in the winter.

I think they should run the Facelift every day the gondola is open in the summer as long as the new bike trails are added.  Need to have easier downhill bike trails to get people involved in the sport.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
THIS is why SJ is the Man
Spot on

One question though would the flow trail be on ski trails?

Combination of on and through the woods with majority in the woods

If not would they count against our mileage limit?  

Bike trails do not count against ski trail mileage cap.  

Hypothetically speaking Scotty how likely are the zip line and coaster to get approval?

Mtn coaster is at Van Ho bob run not WF  No issues there.

Zip Line has been kicked around for a couple years now.   Visibility and construction timing, where over 2800 feet, will need mitigation but ultimately approvable.     

What about the lift?  I don't think that is in an approved master plan at this point is it?

Don't think so either.  Makes senses I guess.  Does tie in Bear Den to main mtn better.  Looks like you could run a straight line from somewhere near top of magic carpet across the bottom of the ridge that separates lower winkytown trail from boreen and mid.   although linking to near lookout lift would seem to be best location for flow and safety....  

How long would it take to get that approved?

Given the whole thing is under the 2800 foot zone - with well designed plans that account for stormwater management and minimize visibility from Rt 86 UMP amendment could get done in 4 months (including required public comment periods)
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
a friend has been pushing for an indoor rock climbing gym at Bear Den too.  A place for people to hang out in during ski season if the weather is bad or they have people in their group who don't ski...  Also could be a membership so local climbers could train during the off season (bring people to WF and Wilmington during mud season, well that is vanishing given climate change but still not everyone rides mtn bikes...)

Plus climbing promotes mountaineering which we could do more of at WF.  How cool would it be to offer a guide service option included w/ lift ticket to access slides by skiing from lift and skinning up slide out and then ice climbing in there.  Of course those that skin up during dawn patrol and already climb and ski should be exempt from the guide.

Im sure there would be a market of WF skiers that would be interested in renting equipment and a guide to try ice climbing...  Lift service ice climbing.....

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I also think we should enclose the gondola top.  Build a structure that connects to existing Ski Patrol cabin.  Have a level walkway to eliminate the steps and subsequent climb sometimes on ice (lawsuit waiting to happened w/ pedestrian traffic). Construct a ramp with that skiable turf material so people could step into skis/board and slide onto snow surface.

Have the walkway also connect to the new viewing deck to improve experience for pedestrian traffic.  

Partially enclose the structure on Lake Placid side with aerodynamic non reflective glass to preserve view and deflect wind gusts over the bull wheel as well as dampened the "elements" for skiers who are not of the hardy character.  

Include one of those high tech solar powered biodegradable outhouses.  Also include solar panels to provide some electricity and a heat source.  Small concession stand  (coffee/hot chocolate etc...) some seating and storage space for on mountain staff for their equipment (patrol, snowmakers etc...)

I'd also build about 6 more lean-to for day use and a small public cabin on summit for day use - especially for skinners to switch into dry gear, out of the elements.  Build the cabin on summit out of rocks and include interpretive/memorial for 10th Mtn Division.

I'd also build a very cool viewing platform on the skiers right side flat zone of Hoyts.  View of Adirondacks from there is epic.  Build in an interpretive sign that names all the mountains in the view shed.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This would be hard to approve, but I think it would be cool to see a restaurant at the top of the gondola.  Like is done at some other mountains, they could run the gondola in the evenings to get people up there and I think it would be pretty cool to be able to see the ADK's from the top during sunset.  It could easily be incorporated into the top terminal enclosure.  If it couldn't be approved, Scotty's plan sounds like could be good scaled down alternative.

I think it would be cool to rebuild the start house on Skyward as a lodge/warming hut.  You could add a mid station on the Summit Quad for easier access.  Add a deck for the spring.

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Omg. Snow making. And when they upgrade upgrade again. All that other fluff will follow if they can get visits up. Not possible on a consistent basis with the firepower currently in play.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Agreed, snowmaking comes first.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by snoloco
I prefer the scaled down alternative.

If anyone's ever been to Powder Mt. in Utah the Hidden Lake lodge is pretty cool small lodge up top, with some killer mexian food
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Omg. Snow making.

this would be after all needed snowmaking upgrades.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
SJ for Governor!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Johnnyonthespot wrote
SJ for Governor!
The man has vision.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
i'd vote for Scotty in a New York minute.  He'd put that 20 mil to good use.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I think you are saying you are "not totally sure" about the purpose of the Northwoods.

If that is what you are saying...

The ski school, tune shop and rentals were moved out of the base lodge.  In it's place dozens of tables for skiers were added.  You can now find a table if you arrive after 10am.  Not that I ever do, it has taken huge pressure off the base.

In addition dropping kids off for lessons, or dropping off skis to be tuned is much easier.
Thanks for the clarification
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951

Jumping into this thread now...

First and foremost upgrade I'd like to see at WF IMHO.....

Bathrooms on same level of main lodge (24k bath fixtures not required). This would provide both convenience and function. First chop at $20M would start with this project if I called the shots.

Installing stone in the ticket purchase area was useless waste of $$$. Not interested in any foo-foo shit at either WF or Gore.
"Feets fail me not"
1 ... 3456789 ... 15