classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
285 messages Options
12345678 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: $20M for Whiteface and Gore

Scott
is there an existing plan for the old gondola exit. I think Stowe has a neat set up at the top of the gondola there. I would hate to see a mediocre job done on the structure. I think it could be a great addition if it's done well. Less Like the Spartan cafeteria style of the main lodge. Something strong in Adirondack design with a large fireplace. The hill lacks character and this would be a golden oportunity to cash in on the very unique and world renown Adirondack style. And always a bar would make a mint.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Scott wrote
is there an existing plan for the old gondola exit. I think Stowe has a neat set up at the top of the gondola there. I would hate to see a mediocre job done on the structure. I think it could be a great addition if it's done well. Less Like the Spartan cafeteria style of the main lodge. Something strong in Adirondack design with a large fireplace. The hill lacks character and this would be a golden oportunity to cash in on the very unique and world renown Adirondack style. And always a bar would make a mint.
Agree with this. Hopefully, the designers look at the lodge at the top of K1, or, if they want a smaller structure, this cool wine bar on the slopes of Telluride:

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Need something a little bigger than that. How much is the filet mignonette and a glass of Burgandy in there? There's a place much like that on a side of the slope on Ajax at Aspen, so, Benny decides to check the menu. Hoo boy. I'll have an energy bar with a coffee elsewhere, thank you.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I love what they did with the Northwoods Lodge, using what they could of the original structure, but I do think at the summit it might make more sense to start over.

I could careless about skating around the building, but a lot of weenies do whine about it.  Plus if it is a venue it could be a bit of a jam up.

Zelda is going to be pumped to have a place to pee pee at the summit.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Scott wrote
Agree with this. Hopefully, the designers look at the lodge at the top of K1, or, if they want a smaller structure, this cool wine bar on the slopes of Telluride:

Wine bar?????Good luck with that -what you see up there now is what we are going to get and there will be no water and maybe some dry toilets if we are lucky.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Harvey
The Northwoods Lodge is beautiful. Although, I am to totally sure what the purpose of that building is other than info and ticket sales.

You might be right about the summit and it being a bit small, but the concept is cool. I have a feeling they would have torn that building down a long time ago if they didn't have some long-term plan to use it for something.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I'd like to know where the leach field is located at the Killington Summit lodge. There's no soil up there which means they would have had to build an evaporation system to absorb everything in douses. These septic systems are not cheap, and it will probably require a few hundred truck-loads of sand to be hauled up the mountain.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
The Northwoods Lodge is beautiful. Although, I am to totally sure what the purpose of that building is other than info and ticket sales.
I think you are saying you are "not totally sure" about the purpose of the Northwoods.

If that is what you are saying...

The ski school, tune shop and rentals were moved out of the base lodge.  In it's place dozens of tables for skiers were added.  You can now find a table if you arrive after 10am.  Not that I ever do, it has taken huge pressure off the base.

In addition dropping kids off for lessons, or dropping off skis to be tuned is much easier.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
There's a conference room and I think some offices.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Does the legislature have to still approve the drunken sailor spending spree of the Gov?  If so what is the chance of all 3 recent North Country gifts from the Gov get approved?
1) Yes. The Gov can ask for whatever he wants, but it dies on the vine if the Legislature doesn't want to fund it.

2) Who knows, but I doubt it.

There will be budget hearings in front of whatever committee has oversight of these things. I think this is going to be a hard thing to sell to the Legislature.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
We should call them up, tell them to can the fluff and max out snowmaking.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
So all this is just PR so the Gov gets on TV and papers as giving the North Country all this free stuff that we never will get becuase why are the state senate guys from Long Island going to care about a mountain coaster
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by bumps
You can have our zip line and Mt coaster thingy
Don't say we never gave you anything again
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
Coach Z wrote
You can have our zip line and Mt coaster thingy
Don't say we never gave you anything again
ADK welfare queens!

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hey !  ........ HEY !!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by bumps

Mew mew mew. Daddy, you gave them ice cream, and I didn't get anything! Except, of course, massive state funding already in place and the right to build some silly real estate development/resort thing that both Gore and WF could only dream of having at its base, so, you know.........
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
I'm skeptical about the plans for the gondola building at Gore.  As was stated earlier in this thread, there was no mention of bathrooms or food service in the press release.  The terms "warming facility and overlook" don't sound promising. There is already a warming hut at the summit, so I don't see the point of renovating the building to build another one there.  I'm thrilled that they are going to renovate the base and saddle lodges though.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
I actually like the idea of restoring the old Gondola terminal at Gore. That was my idea in fact, I'm glad they took it seriously. We talked on this topic last year. I'd still much rather see snowmaking improvements.
Funniest post of the thread so far.

HEY!
Mine was funny
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
500K to build two flow trails from Facelift down, run the facelift Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Build a cool amphitheater at the base and hold a summer concert series (four bigger name bands that would attract upwards of 5-10K).  

In two more years BETA will have over 75 miles of trails built between SL,LP and the Wink.  Every destination mtn bike location in the world is anchored with a DH option.  Two flow trails from Facelift down will sell hundreds of mt bike season passes and draw the types of crowds that flock to Burke, Highland, Bromomnet...

Yes, APA will have to approve the zip line.  

Oh yeah upgrade snowmaking please!   and cut the approved trail on Lookout!!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
12345678 ... 15