classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
285 messages Options
1234567 ... 15
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: $20M for Whiteface and Gore

JTG4eva!
What does knowing anything have to do with our convos!?!?

In fairness, the initial reports were vague, good to get more detail.  If Albany is considering money for a coaster at vanHo as a Whiteface upgrade that is kind of whack.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
I think NYS should take 5M of the 1m slated for WF and buy Big Tupper, get it back up and running full steam. Have a pass good at those 3 areas for a reasonable price. Use the other 5M to upgrade snowmaking capability at WF, the heck w all the rest of the fluff.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I agree with these points.

ADmiKe wrote
...then I read it and it was going OK until I saw zipline, thought, OK that's not end of the world just a cable...Then saw the words mountain coaster and shit my pants.
JTG4eva! wrote
A zip line and mountain coaster will do nothing to upgrade facilities which are, as admitted in the announcement, outdated and subpar.  They can get to world class skiing, or they can try and be more of a year round resort, but going for both with a (relatively) small infusion is unwise.  Of course if Albany is giving the money and telling you what to spend it on......well, you take the money and do as they say, I guess.
campgottagopee wrote
Somebody is giving your home ski hills a bunch of free money and you guys are bitching about how it's going to be spent?? Do I understand this correctly?
Yeah, but it’s like your kid buying a Porsche when they still have school debt.

Harvey wrote
Sno... one thing I think you have to accept and acknowledge... money spent for improvements and Bell, Gore and WF is largely dictated by the government. If you don't like this, then say it now... this expenditure is bad government, not bad ski area management. Go ahead say it.
Coach Z wrote
Cascades X-C center just spent a lot of money and effort putting in a ropes course / zip line and now Orda comes along and will compete with a local family owned business.  Not cool at all.  http://www.cascadeski.com/zipline/
Face4Me wrote
Wait a minute ...

Are you saying that people on this forum are complaining and ranting about something they know nothing about???
It’s what you do when you work for the gubment.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Wait. I want to make sure I understand this......

Somebody is giving your home  ski hills a bunch of free money and you guys are bitching about how it's going to be spent?? Do I understand this correctly?
I get the Spicoli picture now.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
 Not a good thing that the government will come in and compete with a family business like that.  Yes I know Belleayre already competes directly with the private Catskill areas, but Belleayre has always been a ski area and been state run.
I wonder if Whiteface follows the Belleayre model and liberally hands out "zip line BOGOs", LOL.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
Yeah, but it’s like your kid buying a Porsche when they still have school debt.
Close.

It’s like your kid buying a Porsche when they still have school debt, a home close to foreclosure, and a positively massive balloon payment coming that they know they have absolutely no way to pay for.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by endoftheline
endoftheline wrote
I think NYS should take 5M of the 1m slated for WF and buy Big Tupper, get it back up and running full steam. Have a pass good at those 3 areas for a reasonable price. Use the other 5M to upgrade snowmaking capability at WF, the heck w all the rest of the fluff.

This is a good idea.  Tupper could be bought for next to nothing and that is an investment that would return well to the local economy.  I feel for the folks in Tupper.  It fits much better in Orda than Belleyre does due to its location.  it would make a nice race venue and would really provide a boost to the intermediate market that WF cannot due our pitch.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by playoneontv
playoneontv wrote
The coaster is being considered at Mt. VanHo near the bob/luge run and not at Whiteface.  The press release should have been clearer.

Is that where the zip lines are going as well?  That is even worse for Cascades as they are so close together - its almost like Orda saw what they did and copied it.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
Am I missing something??  No poster has actually expressed surprise and gratitude that Gore and Whiteface are getting 20 MILLION Dollars for upgrades.  

GREAT NEWS!

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Z
I haven't read all these pages. Maybe this has already been covered.

" Gore already has plans in place to build a zip line with funds already received. ".

http://poststar.com/news/local/m-in-improvements-proposed-at-gore-whiteface/article_a9aaa0da-6319-53e0-8f3a-316bc7300ec1.html
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by CMR
Agreed, any money is great news, and improvements that better our skiing experiences will be greatly appreciated.

That said, just like with this past National election, there is skepticism and fatigue regarding political wrangling and general BS, even at the NYS/Albany/Orda level.  Sure, $20 mil may find its way to the Adirondacks.  However, if large chunks are earmarked to put in administrative offices at Gore, and to add zip lines and mountain coasters to venues around Placid, how much will actually go toward improving the skiing experiences at WF and Gore?  

Don't know, but appreciative for whatever it is.  Just should have done it without the "$20 mil to Whiteface and Gore" sound bite!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by endoftheline
endoftheline wrote
Nice idea. Tipper Lake could use the cash infusion even more than North Creek and Lake Placid.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Agreed, any money is great news, and improvements that better our skiing experiences will be greatly appreciated.
Hey, we're losing tens-of-millions of dollars per year, but they're GIVING us $20 Million anyway!   Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain (or that cliff ahead)!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by CMR
CMR wrote
Am I missing something??  No poster has actually expressed surprise and gratitude that Gore and Whiteface are getting 20 MILLION Dollars for upgrades.  

GREAT NEWS!
I said in my first response that the Bear Den Lodge and lift improvement are welcome additions
also noted the other things are pretty stupid waste of spending but they might be designed to be chucked overboard once it goes to the legislature for approval when they go to reduce the budget line item.

The only way I can think of where this money is coming from is that the Gov thinks Wall Street profits and bonuses he gets tax rev off of are going up due to a certain event that happened last Friday.  Just saying....
New York State is like it or not fully tied to the market.  When things are good on the Street the State does well.
Reply | Threaded
|

playoneontv
Zip line is @ WF.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
endoftheline wrote
Nice idea. Tipper Lake could use the cash infusion even more than North Creek and Lake Placid.
ORDA has enough money losers in the stable. WF and Gore cash flow can only support so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
x10003q wrote
ORDA has enough money losers in the stable.
This thread has made it occur to me that the average person has no idea just how much of a financial trainwreck ORDA is.

I thought it was common knowledge, but I was incorrect.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
playoneontv wrote
The coaster is being considered at Mt. VanHo near the bob/luge run and not at Whiteface.  The press release should have been clearer.
Wait a minute ...

Are you saying that people on this forum are complaining and ranting about something they know nothing about???
Well I wish the article was clear on that.  If it's at VanHo, well shit, build away!  Seems like it will fit in with the bobsled and all that better than being an out of place eyesore amongst the ski trails....

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Coach Z wrote
This is a good idea.  Tupper could be bought for next to nothing and that is an investment that would return well to the local economy.  I feel for the folks in Tupper.  It fits much better in Orda than Belleyre does due to its location.  it would make a nice race venue and would really provide a boost to the intermediate market that WF cannot due our pitch.
There is no need to flush more state money down the Tupper black hole. Gore has more than enough blue trails to make up for the lack of blue trails at WF. Nobody is driving 1.5 hour by Gore for 600 vertical feet of blue and green trails.

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
 This thread has made it occur to me that the average person has no idea just how much of a financial trainwreck ORDA is.
Oh ? That tax-free, mortgage free, capital improvement costs free, ad infinitum business model isn't working for them ?
1234567 ... 15