$20M for Whiteface and Gore + $8M for Belle

classic Classic
260 messages Options
123456 ... 26
Reply |  

Re: $20M for Whiteface and Gore

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by TomCat
I'm ok with pretty much everything except the mountain coaster.  I have been returning to Whiteface for 27 years, my parents 45+ and my family has made it their home away from home because we figured they would never do shit like put in a frikin mountain coaster, water park, etc or any other un-natural looking garbage because of the strict APA rules etc.  I hope Coach is right.

I may be from the dirty jerz, but I'm fine saying that we don't need a bunch of NJ/city ppl in our way who drove 5 hours to ride a f**king mountain coaster.  Can see it now...Lower parking lot full, mountain coaster, zipline, and "high end amenities" parking only.  Skiers please park in upper lot and take shuttle!!!

Z
Reply |  

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
Snow it would come out of there on an angle up what was silver shoot (I have no idea what small animal that trail  is now called) and then would have to run up Boreen. To get the angle right it would need to start on the far side of the magic carpet

"It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport."
Artic Explorer Fridtjof Nansen
Reply |  

Hoser
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
Agree. Send the coaster to Syracuse with the new gondi

Reply |  

snoloco
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
All the trails in the valley are already overcrowded.  Putting another lift there that can only access Boreen will make it even worse.

Also, routing it up and over the Wilmington Trail will be really expensive.

I'd do what Stowe did and have a fixed grip quad with a loading carpet go up the existing route, but extend higher up to get a better connection onto Boreen.

I never park at Kids Kampus and don't plan to.  No way I'm starting at a beginner lodge and wasting my time going up a slow lift and down a flat trail to get to decent terrain.  If I start at the main base, after booting up, I can walk right on the gondola and be on the top of LWF in under 10 minutes from leaving the lodge.  If I start at Kids Kampus, I'd have to go up that lift, ski down to the gondola (which would likely have a line by the time I got there) before getting on it to get up to LWF.  That adds at least another 15 minutes to the trip.  At the end of the day, I have to make sure I don't go to the bottom after 4, or I can't get a lift back out to get to Kids Kampus.  If I start at the main base, I can ski right up to the last chair on Facelift and not worry about getting back to the car.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply |  

snoloco
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
I may be from the dirty jerz, but I'm fine saying that we don't need a bunch of NJ/city ppl in our way who drove 5 hours to ride a f**king mountain coaster.  Can see it now...Lower parking lot full, mountain coaster, zipline, and "high end amenities" parking only.  Skiers please park in upper lot and take shuttle!!!
I normally pull in the parking lot at 7:45, so I think I'd still get good parking.

If the wanted to make all skiers park in the upper lot and put in a cabriolet to get up to the lodge, I wouldn't be opposed to that.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply |  

ADmiKe
I was kinda just joking...if you cant walk from up top you prob shouldn't be skiing lol

Reply |  

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Z
Coach......you are envisioning a lift with a turn in it (as there is no straight line from the Bear Den carpet to the base of the Lookout chair)?  You could run in a straight line up to Boreen at Ladies Bridge but from there you'd have to make a right turn to head up the Boreen "headwall" toward Lookout.  That would also be a terrible place to run a lift as that section of Boreen isn't that wide (with little room to widen), and the "headwall" is difficult enough for beginners without lift towers gumming up the works.  Is that the only viable way, or more viable than extending the existing Bear Den lift line, which could run straight to the base of the Lookout chair if it went up and over the ridge that sits between Wilmington and U/L Boreen?

Reply |  

x10003q
Here are Gore's upgrades:

•Expanding seating capacity and modernizing the Saddle Lodge’s facilities and infrastructure;
•Adding a third story to the Base Lodge – building corporate meeting room space, additional seating and customer amenities, and expanding the rental shop in the Northwoods Lodge; and
•Restoring the original 1967 gondola unloading station into a Gore summit warming facility and overlook.

Notice the careful language.
Saddle Lodge - does not seem like they are going to actually expand the building and that is what is needed.

Base Lodge 3rd floor - 'corporate meeting room space' is first and most important - this where the money is being spent

Summit gondola station restore - does not mention restroom facilities, why wouldn't you mention restrooms? no snacks or eating facility?

Ultimately, they could add $100 million to Gore and there will be no increase in visits until they figure out they need to advertise in the NYC metro area.

Reply |  

BenedictGomez
snoloco wrote

I never park at Kids Kampus and don't plan to.
  No way I'm starting at a beginner lodge and wasting my time going up a slow lift and down a flat trail to get to decent terrain.  If I start at the main base, after booting up, I can walk right on the gondola and be on the top of LWF in under 10 minutes from leaving the lodge.  If I start at Kids Kampus, I'd have to go up that lift, ski down to the gondola (which would likely have a line by the time I got there) before getting on it to get up to LWF. 
I dont mind it at all.  You dont have to take the lift either, you can just walk up a bit and ski over on Porcupine Pass.

Reply |  

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
  Spending money for the hell of it so he can get in the news without regard if they are really good investments for the tax payers.  Where the heck is all this money coming from anyway that he is giving out?
The paychecks of New York State residents.

123456 ... 26