HA!  Awesome blog!!

http://visitadirondacks.com/area-adk/adk-mountain-biking-love-affair 
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bark Eater Trail Alliance BETA!

ScottyJack
This Sunday, 8/17, is a Wilmington PMD town shuttle day - w/ BBQ at LeepOff Cycles!   
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In need of BETA beta (beeta-bega-fajita-ina-pita?), I'm headed up north for a family function labor day weekend and hoping to squeeze a ride in (probably sunday am). anyone riding? anything exciting happening/pmd? what's the must do ride if I only have one morning (did hardy road last year)?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Lussi and Craigwood.  Craigwood in particular has seen a lot of love this year.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
 (probably sunday am). anyone riding? anything exciting happening/pmd? what's the must do ride if I only have one morning (did hardy road last year)?
I agree with Logger's/Lussi and crossing the street to Craig Wood. That's a really good morning and you get every kind of riding you could want.

Dewey and Pisgah in Saranac Lake are really cool, too.

I'll be up that weekend, but I might not be free (plus I have to build a bike up to prepare). If everything comes together and I can ride, I'll let you know.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
+1 on Lussi/Craigwood
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
cool, thanks for the tips, sounds like a plan looking at the maps it looks like a bunch of stacked loops  does it make sense to park on river road to try and hit both? also any info on a good sequence and preferred cw/ccw loop direction would be great. even better if MC2 and anyone else is around for a tour?!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack

Best riding of the season going on up here! Looking like poker run will be first weekend of October. Stay tune.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
This post was updated on .
My 16 year old son decided to join me For an adventure in the woods Sunday morning. We set out from River Road about 8:30 with the BETA maps, mtb project app and a plan: jackrabbit>billy barule>lacy underall>rat farts>nite putting>judge>lumber>twisted than over to loggers loops.

It spit a little overnight making the roots pretty slick, I thought it was going to be a short ride as my son struggled to find traction. He caught on pretty quick though and was keeping a decent pace by the time we got to the upper loops. Nice variety of fairly technical terrain with some fun looking skinnies and rock features. Being as slick as it was we kept the rubber on the dirt except for the teeter and a few of smaller rock drops. Some of the intersections are a bit of a clusterfuck  and we spent more time than I would have liked wayfinding to get over to the loggers loops.

More nice varied terrain with a few more rocks and a couple small climbs once we got to loggers. Saw a a deer and two fishers, one up close , pretty cool.  My son wasn't a fan though and was bonking a bit on what he called the trail of broken balls. It turned into the trail of broken bikes as he snapped his derailler hanger  and chain trying to mash up one of the small technical climbs on loop 2. I didn't have a spare hanger for his bike and mine wouldn't fit so he had to single speed the last leg back to the car. It couldn't have happened at a better spot, it was mostly down hill the whole way back.

We ended up with 10.5 miles over 3-1/2 hours, great way to spend a morning and work up a thirst for some home brews and honey shine . The gray conditions didn't motivate me to take any pics, sorry, but here's our track

Kudos to the trail builders and look forward to hitting craigswood next time. BETA needs to put some T shirts at downhill mike's or leap off!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Sunday is the BETA Poker Ride!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Ace and I will be there.

She did the RAGNAR this past weekend, so me and a buddy were up riding Saturday. Started from Route 86 on Stateline, did Lumberyard, Twisted Sister, Rat Farts, and some other favorites, then made our way around and across to Craig Wood/The Back Nine. Did about 13 miles and finished just in time to see their team cross the finish line together. Good times.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Awesome MC2! We'll be riding Flume to WF on Sat to poach the shin dig, if up, give a shout and we'll do a couple PMD shuttles.

Last weekend was outstanding!  We toured Wilmington w/ a tech rep from Fox.  He loved it!!  

Lots of leaves down on Hardy last night, so we'll be out probably Thursday w/ the leaf blowers.  

Really appreciate you guys coming up for the Poker Ride!  Bring friends!  

Last night was a perfect night for a mtn bike ride!  I love this time of year!!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Looks like I'll be working Saturday, but I should be good to ride for Sunday!

Pack warm, and maybe some skis and skins. It looks Cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
We'll also be there, have been looking forward to it since last year.  Glad it got rescheduled for Sunday or we wouldn't have been able to make it, silly weddings.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
And it's gonna rain ALL day Saturday, Wahooo!

Who's ready for too many shortcuts?

ALLL REDDDD

BRLKED, you in again?
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
I'm in, had a hoot of a time last year.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
you guys put on a  great event, look forward to next year .Great riding, friendly people. Mc, Ace, tbatt, Chris and partner? [sorry I didn't get your name] good riding with you. ED
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yes! Good to see you there, ED! Sorry you were sick, SJ. Next year.

Here's a pic:

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WHOA ^^^^^^ Remind me NOT to go to this....EVER!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
WHOA ^^^^^^ Remind me NOT to go to this....EVER!!
Only 2 or 3 of the crazies launch this. Unless I'm taking pictures, I don't go near it*.

*until I get a bigger travel bike and learn to ride better
1 ... 6789101112 ... 17