108 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Big Green Egg

Z
We got this smoker recently

My wife is making a wicked good smoked brisket on it.  The nice part about an electric smoker is it has a thermostat so it takes much less effort to perfectly smoke meat.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Good deal, TJ

I would've been very surprised if you weren't happy with it. They take a while to figure out but I think they truly are the best cooker money can buy.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I knew I was going to like it.  Did you get the attachment that regulates the temp and adjusts it for you?  That is on my short list of accessories.   What do you consider your best accessory?  I have the diverter, cover, grill pliers, and coal ash remover.

I think the ribs taste better the next day when they are cold.  I have made three batches so far.  2 pork, 1 beef.  Can believe how good the stuff comes out.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No, I did not get the thermostat. Once you get used to it you can regulate it pretty consistently. It really took me several months before I could do that. I'm trying to cook with less charcoal now. Trying to get it on the downside of the burn, if that makes any sense. They hold the heat so well that you really don't need much charcoal to cook.

The 3 you mentioned are the only ones I have. I don't have any plans to get anything else unless my buddy tells me something has come out that I can't live without.

You really can't screw anything up on these. I mean, you can have a good glow on and still cook like a champ!

How about a Yeti??? Get one of those yet??? My girl got me one --- they da bomb too!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The cooler?  I looked at them they are a couple hundred bucks.  What the catch with them?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cooler, beer koozy, and tumbler ---- they keep shit cold for days, real cold. I got the Yeti hopper 30. Soft sided cooler. Great to take to the beach, travel, camp, wherever. I loaded it up over this long weekend with beer and ice. Everyhing stayed cold for 4 days. Ahhhh yes. Life's simple pleasures.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Instead of Yeti, look up RTIC coolers. They're functionally identical to Yeti but 1/2 the price (still crazy expensive).
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
What's the best thing you made on the egg so far?  

Pork spare ribs for me, those baby backs are for weeners.  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Dude, I made a lasagna that was KILLA!!

The pizza on the Egg is bangin as well

And I agree on the spare ribs
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Smoked a turkey Saturday.  Still eating it.  I left it in a little to long but its still the best turkey I ever had.  If you want a good BBQ do it yourself on the green egg it better than any joint I have gone to.  So many good recipes out there all you have to do is follow the directions.  I think the a brisket is next on my list of things to smoke.  I am going to have to dig through to get big pieces of coal so I can get the cook to last 12 hours.  I have noticed when you used the crushed up stuff it burns quick.  Right now I am building a shelf into the railing on my  deck to hold all of my accessories.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah
I guess I'll have to pick up an electric smoker one of these days (don't think I'm home enough to babysit a charcoal or wood fired). I did make pulled pork in a crock pot once that came out ptretty good
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'll tell ya, Broski, you can't replace and/or duplicate what goodness the Egg gives you with an electric smoker. Simply put, it can not be matched. And honestly there isn't much babysitting involved. There's a learning curve, and once you get that figured out there's not much to do other than sit back, drink beer, and let er cook. man I wish Speedy would get on here and chime in. That dude is BOSS when it comes to cooking on the Egg.

But an electric smoker would be better than nothing.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
IMG_20170923_170826.jpg

One more hour and then the sauce goes on. Came out great and usual. Just follow the directions and you have better ribs than any restaurant.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Isn't it amazing how easy those things are to cook on. And I mean cook like a pro, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You follow the instructions and it is dummy poof.  The best food I have ever had has come off of that thing and I am still green.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I've never done a beef brisket. Think I'll do one this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Me neither, I watched a few videos and don't think it will be that difficult.  I don't know that I will be able to keep a fire going for 9 hours.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Those ribs look pretty amazing. That pic makes me hungry.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
What size egg did you get? I have the large and with that a 9 hr fire wouldn't be any problem. Are you using Green Egg charcoal?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I have a medium because of the size of my porch, I should have gotten the large but it does pretty well.   I use the lump coal from green egg.   The cabinet I am making to build into the porch is going to have two bins that I will separate the coal into so I have the big chunks when I need them.