classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
466 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 24
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

freeheeln
trails were brutal cold today. woods were warm tho,and the skiing in them was really hot. still finding some fresh , thought all the holiday folks would have gotten it all
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
What a great day at Gore today, the couple of inches we got last night just made it better. I did a few runs on some perfectly gro0med trails lower mountain, twister, Uncas, then went to the glades - High Pines while there were no tracks, Tahawus and then up top for the rest of the day. They were making snow on Rumor, it was a little weird but lots of good snow. Chat glades were great, Darby woods and a lot of, well lets just say - other places. Cover is a little thin in spots and my skis now need a major tune but it was well worth it. In the glades less traveled there was a ton of freshies to be had.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
The skiing this past weekend at Gore was just great, as good as it gets.  Even though there was a decent sized crowd both days, the mountain spreads people out and the snow stayed great all weekend.  Hard to pick a favorite - Rumor and Lies were both great, trees were outstanding.  My trip report for the weekend and a bunch more photos are here.

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Gore was great today.  Didn't get up there till about 11 due to work.  Temps in the 30's and sunny.  Not crowded at all, even with $10 NY day.  Upper lot was full, upper overflow didn't fill up.

I did hear a few people talking about how they came down from WF because of the power outage.

Skied everything but BR and Skibowl.  Heard Sagamore was bumps so we steered clear.

Didn't have one bad run.  Uncas, Rumor, Lies, steilhang, DS, Hullaballoo, Darby, Woodout, sleeping bear, tahawas, twister, uncas, topride, topridge, uncas, lies, chati, ruby<sunway.

Today's Pick: Topridge.  The only trail that softened up, and it was a BLAST.  Soft bumps, the kind that are even fun on a board.  It's such a great run, wish they blew some more snow on it tho.  Some bare spots, nothing terrible.  Might get a bit hairy by the end of the weekend.

Life is good!

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Spring conditions today - hero snow. You could just bomb lies from top to bottom. Temps were fabulous, no gater, open vents.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Topridge and Sagamore are toast: both closed and lots of bare spots yesterday.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by DackerDan
The mountain was (relatively) semi-trashed by Sunday. The snow is going fast in places in certain places, particularly where there is more natural than man-made. (Topridge and the bottom of Sagamore are almost gone). Things at the Summit and on the Darkside were skiing really well. Lies was pretty great with huge, soft bumps. Lower Darby was also really nice. The good news is, there is enough coverage to build on once things get cold again.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Saturday was absolutely beautiful.  If you like spring skiing in January, that is.  Bases seemed to be holding up well, at least as of end of the day Saturday.  Lack of snowmaking so far this season on Topridge really showed... High Pines looked to be in better shape.  In the woods, the few off-the-map shots we tried were a bit manky but the trafficked glades like Straightbrook skied great.  Rumor, Lies, Hawkeye, Chati all stellar with solid coverage.  Loved taking the nose down the middle of Lies' headwall rather than the left or right sides.  Did it get sunny on Sunday too?

Here's some pics from Saturday, with more here.

Lies:

Ruby:

They call it the Darkside for a reason:

Lower mountain still good at the end of the day:
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Minimal moments of sun on Sunday. Fog, Rain, Clouds, w/ brief moments of partial blue skies as the fog bank/clouds blew by.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
An alternative view is...On Sunday, the sun was out early up at the top.  They did open late because of getting groomers off the mountain in the fog.  Mr. Anderson had everybody's attention while waiting for the Gondi to load...Eventually 8:40. The first trip to the top had everybody lining up at Cloud headwall for photo ops of mountains sticking through the clouds.  Lies was my pick of the day with big soft bumps.  Rain fell briefly around 10am but we saw more sun then clouds and pretty much everything skied well.  Ask my daughter about ripping big GS turns into the clouds down showcase(I preferred the bumps on Lies).  Tried the woods but Lies was better (and easier). I have some pics that I will try to add at a later time...Although we left early (12:30) overall it was...
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Top was great on Sunday till about 12:30 when the snlush started to pile up.  I took one run down Lower Steilhang and had a single eject with head plant.  The snow on that trail hadn't really packed down and since I am fatter than most I broke through and hit the brakes in a hurry.  Lies was the best trail on the summit for me but Hawkeye, Chatty and Open Pit were all good.  You could hear the water running in the woods.  I headed over to BR in the afternoon for the heck of it and ended up doing 4-5 laps on Echo.  It was the best most consistent snow on the mountain and because twister was closed there was hardly anyone over there.  Looked like they had guns set on sagamore and parts of echo.  I didn't see them mentioned on gm site.  Maybe later this week?
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Danzilla wrote
 Looked like they had guns set on sagamore and parts of echo.  I didn't see them mentioned on gm site.  Maybe later this week?
How was the snow holding up on Sagamore by the end of Sunday?
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Denis.N wrote
Danzilla wrote
 Looked like they had guns set on sagamore and parts of echo.  I didn't see them mentioned on gm site.  Maybe later this week?
How was the snow holding up on Sagamore by the end of Sunday?
Lower Sagamore had brown/bare stretches almost across the entire trail (basically anywhere the fog sat). Above the fog (halfway up) seemed to be holding up OK.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
Top was great on Sunday till about 12:30 when the snlush started to pile up.  I took one run down Lower Steilhang and had a single eject with head plant.  The snow on that trail hadn't really packed down and since I am fatter than most I broke through and hit the brakes in a hurry.  Lies was the best trail on the summit for me but Hawkeye, Chatty and Open Pit were all good.  You could hear the water running in the woods.  I headed over to BR in the afternoon for the heck of it and ended up doing 4-5 laps on Echo.  It was the best most consistent snow on the mountain and because twister was closed there was hardly anyone over there.  Looked like they had guns set on sagamore and parts of echo.  I didn't see them mentioned on gm site.  Maybe later this week?
Lies was SO good.
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
Website claims they'll open Burnt Ridge Quad & the North Quad tomorrow, but they've only gotten 1" of snow and havent been blowing under those lifts.  I wonder if that means the terrain is "okay" (not great), and they intentionally closed them down Mon-Thurs this week just to preserve snow.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Anybody ski Gore today?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
For Sunday...the early bird gets the worm...if you wait, make sure your edges are sharp
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Conditions at Gore were pretty good considering the weather last week. The real issue was it was crowded, a consistently long line at the Gondi and even the triple had a long line. Lines up top were not too bad though but they were making snow on Hawkeye and Cloud which probably kept people away. Lies, Hullibalu skied well, so did the east side. Conditions held up even with the crowds.

I suspect this was another high revenue day for Gore, but they really need more terrain open.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
It started snowing today at opening. At first it was wet and stuck to your goggles but as the weather turned colder it dried out to a nice snow which we had on and off all day. The TR3 was closed due to high winds but the Gondi stayed running. The wind and blowing snow sometimes made for a rude punch in the face. The lower mountain skied well and the upper mountain skied well for the first half but was getting pretty polished in places as the day went on. Some snow making was going on but not much. Hopefully this will change with the cold weather this coming week. Tomorrow will be colder.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
What a day at Gore. Or at least the morning. Was on first Gondi (solo!) at 8am and skied til noon. It nuked above the saddle for a good part of the morning and on and off after that.  Looks like Gore has no had two of Camp's 2-tree-4s, so that's a good thing.

Lots of terrain was skiable. Lies was getting hammered by ma natch and the guns and we lapped it maybe four times.  Kirby, Martha, Gary and I were borderline giddy on those runs.

One highlight for me was ACTUALLY SKIING with Suds vs just watching him disappear in a cloud of snow.

Props to Centerplace for having breakfast ready at 7:20 am!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 567891011 ... 24