Conditions were fabulous.
That picture is nice Dan!
"Go ahead and jump!" - Van Halen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

DackerDan
Thanks Zelda! More to come as the season progresses.

Personally I like the ski bowl. I spoke with a couple of ladies yesterday who had come up from Texas and had hoped to tube, too bad they missed it by a few days.

The SB offers a nice change from the upper reaches. We also have some nice family parties at the Yurt during the season, the kids can play on the half pipe and the adults can sip beverages around the wood stove. It's a nice quiet family place.

As I look out my back porch there is about 1" of new snow and it is lightly coming down (2AM). The temp is right at 32. I suspect that we will start to see the rain come in by 10AM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

HermitCam
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
It was a great day to run amuk
Happy Winter Everyone!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
It looks like Gore is back in the snow band and it didn't rain for very long at all... What can I look forward to tomorrow? Couple inches of pow?
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
glad to hear you muckers had fun mucking around
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
How much snow fell at the base?  What's sagamore like, is it pretty rough?  Is 8" enough to ski it?  Thinking about earning a few tmrw
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Total wild ass guess... it's going to be pretty good tomorrow.  We've got about a foot of dense, crunchy snow on the porch.  But it really doesn't feel like it was saturated. Our place is only 500 feet above the base of Gore, so things should be better higher up.

Hard to imaging looking at what's on the ground now, and thinking we were better off before this storm that's for sure.  It's cold and this should groom up nicely.  Be really cool if they don't do any grooming until late.

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Well the " not too long " period of rain was PISSING rain. Took one run and was saturated. 9 inches is probably right, but incredibly saturated. Difficult to make turns in. Once our cold snap
Comes through tomorrow it should set up as a nice base for tree skiing. A birdie told me chatterbox was skiable today.

Parking lot around one.

Chris, there aren't many times I would rather be on a snowboard over skis, but I think the snow today was dense enough to be one of them. If my memory serves me right, I think echo is a bit grassier than sagamore. Plus the bottom half is a bit mellower so decent for low tide… if you can get any speed.
Not sure how mgt feels a out skinning during the season on the mountain, but there should be enough to go for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Winter arrived in a Meteorologist's nightmare -  snow, sleet, wind and r**n today.

tBatt- ever surf?  Make believe; narrower stance, stand tall, keep moving towards Gidget down the falline.

Chris- earn your turns on Sag/Echo?  Have at, take two runs and compare to Sierra Cement.

Mattchuck- two inches of pow?  How about the gnarliest crappola/manky/kneepopp'n terrain we haven't skied since April?  That would be Scareview with no apologies to KT22.  Awfully Fun, way too short, repeat 'til beat. (Topridge would be the preferred option, if available)

Summit Expedition - Scouts vanished into Opaque Haze, never heard back. Rumor of too much snow....

Winter - Oh that again.  Lets hope it continues with renewed vigor, heck, it's only Day #1.

Ski you on the hill.

Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Conditions OK today, pine knot/tannery were good for a run. Cold, wind, blowing snow.
Expect the summit in a few days, cloud and headwaters. If we get the cold weather predicted and it keeps snowing terrain will be added quickly. I don't know about the natural north, I heard it was gackie.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Morning "crowd" seem to dissipate, succumbing to the wind on the triple and topridge chairs.  Trails were deserted after 1pm.

Snowed all day. Looks like maybe 2 inches here. Probably 3" up higher on Gore.

Last runs of day were sublime. Great conditions on Showcase and Sunway after 3pm.

Tomorrow should better with more grooming and new snow mixed in.

Great to ski with everyone.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harvey44 wrote
Morning "crowd" seem to dissipate, succumbing to the wind on the triple and topridge chairs.  Trails were deserted after 1pm.

Snowed all day. Looks like maybe 2 inches here. Probably 3" up higher on Gore.

Last runs of day were sublime. Great conditions on Showcase and Sunway after 3pm.

Tomorrow should better with more grooming and new snow mixed in.

Great to ski with everyone.
I never noticed much crowd all day although I did not ski a lot, was nursing a head cold so I skied a bit, sat a bit. I heard some folks complain it was icy, even on my last run at closing I did not think so, there was loose granular everywhere on the trail. The worst I found it today was pine knot and tannery when the rope first went down, everything else skied well all day, I would not say sublime, rather that they were fast but edgeable. Thursday AM was sublime.

Pine Knot and Uncas from Tannery - guns a blast'n on Uncas.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Another great day at Gore. Fairview was open - ice bumps, nit worth the trouble.
Uncas was a blast, soft whale backs, little bumps forming, guns blasting.
Thinks were getting skied off later in the day as usual, crowd was not too bad.
The summit is getting closer and they were preparing signs for the "Natural North"

Sunway below quicksilver, the morning corduroy was very nice.

Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Finally starting to feel like Winter! Conditions were fast, but fun.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I have no idea what sublime means and I refuse to look it up. And I reserve the right to use the word if the skiing is great or if I like it.  I guess when you have only five days your standards are different.

This morning was even better than those last two runs yesterday. All the new snow was mixed in with the manmade and the cord was super carveable.  Uncas was off the hook.

Fairview was almost a death sentence. I teley'd borderline bulletproof bumps and I give the credit to Uncle Tony.

YUKE... we should ski together.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan

Harvey44 wrote
I have no idea what sublime means and I refuse to look it up. And I reserve the right to use the word if the skiing is great or if I like it.
Thy choice of adjectives is the writers prerogative, I was not disagreeing - rather I was just saying my choice was different based on last Thursdays sampling.  Maybe we can ski a few runs together and you can show me your rating system, I am told mine is sometimes tinted by the color of lens I wear...

I have 10 days in so far this year at Gore - it just keeps getting better. Christmas week the conditions should be very good. I do think this will be a good season at Gore, it's just off to a late start as many seem to be over the past 5 years.

Unfortunately I have to lay off a few days so I can play the role of the fat man (hey - I resemble that remark). I'll be back for the crowds after xmas.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
There is a story behind my comment.

Late December of 2009 and early January there had been SOME snow at Gore but not too much. It was enough to get us into the trees, barely.

One day the Hawkeye headwall was truely pure ice.  Like pure ice with some bedrock mixed in.  But the Chatiemac trees were skiing pretty good. High winds blew the trails clean but left a layer of new snow in the trees.

So it was the end of the day, and the summit was absolutely deserted.  I was lapping the Straightbrook Chair solo to ski the Chatiemac trees.  My edges were so dull from skiing on thin cover for the previous two weeks that I didn't see how I could get down the Hawkeye headwall.

I did three laps to end the day, where I basically sat down and slid on my ass to get down that spot, and then skied over to the trees.  I had a great time, and my post was pretty exuberant.  I got called out for sugar coating reality. But my post had used words like bulletproof, boilerplate, bedrock, and I even described the impossibility of skiing the headwall.

So I posted this:

http://nyskiblog.com/harveys-disclaimer/

Basically if I have a great time, I'm going to say it. And read my words, I don't lie about conditions.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harvey44 wrote
There is a story behind my comment.

Late December of 2009 and early January there had been SOME snow at Gore but not too much. It was enough to get us into the trees, barely.

One day the Hawkeye headwall was truely pure ice.  Like pure ice with some bedrock mixed in.  But the Chatiemac trees were skiing pretty good. High winds blew the trails clean but left a layer of new snow in the trees.

So it was the end of the day, and the summit was absolutely deserted.  I was lapping the Straightbrook Chair solo to ski the Chatiemac trees.  My edges were so dull from skiing on thin cover for the previous two weeks that I didn't see how I could get down the Hawkeye headwall.

I did three laps to end the day, where I basically sat down and slid on my ass to get down that spot, and then skied over to the trees.  I had a great time, and my post was pretty exuberant.  I got called out for sugar coating reality. But my post had used words like bulletproof, boilerplate, bedrock, and I even described the impossibility of skiing the headwall.

So I posted this:

http://nyskiblog.com/harveys-disclaimer/

Basically if I have a great time, I'm going to say it. And read my words, I don't lie about conditions.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Any day in the North country, summer, winter, rain or shine is a great day as far as I am concerned. There are various degrees of great though and many adjectives that I will use - but mostly it is based on mood. If I lived up here full time it might be different. But getting out of the office or not flying around in an aluminum tube is a great day. Whether it's climbing Cliff in the June rains and mud, or skiing Gore when the saddle is a literal ice rink - it's all good.

I have to relate to your story of butt sliding, been there, done that - left some blood on the trail, and smiled all the way.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Uncas was awesome today
12345678 ... 24