1 ... 45678910 ... 24
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Great weather and great skiing today at Gore.  I don't think I've ever seen this much snow with really ZERO wind.  Even on the summits I never felt a 15 mph wind.

BTW I give props to Gore snow reporting. While I admit that the lack of an annual total is vexing, I find the accuracy of Gore's totals good.  I believe they are measured at the mtn base (1500') and here we always see just a little more.

FYI NYSB has kept totals in the past:

http://nyskiblog.com/blog/gore-mtn-snow-totals/

I have added in snow in the above totals that did not make the Gore report.  If it's on my porch I add it in.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
 my tips went under the crust and I supermaned
A not-so exclusive club yesterday.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Yet another great day at Gore. Topridge was a ton of fun all natural. Still lots of snow in the woods. The place was packed though - parking was a real mess. I still didn't make it to the summit today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Wild Air was my favorite run today - soft bumps all day, never got real icy despite crowds. Tahawus Glade was tree run of the day in my book.

I could not believe when I saw cars parked so far on access road, even lot H was filled. It did not feel that there were so many people on the hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Snowing nicely maybe an inch down in North River.  Nordic conditions are good.

Edit 11:15: It's dumping
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Wow - what great snow at Gore today. Light and fluffy. Some interesting notes, yesterday was one of the highest revenue days in Gore History, today will probably top the charts as well. This will really help Gore with needed equipment in the future.

I finally made it up top for a bit today, Lies was great fun, soft bumps. The glades had a bunch of snow, they were awesome.

I used my new AT gear again today. I finally figured it out and they were a real blast in the pow. Tomorrow shoul dbe another awesome day. It's great to have a real winter again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
it was very satisfying to see snow-guns on Twister, Lies, Chatiemac and Rumor all going on at same time.

First thing i did was Lies - 7 times in a row, then Chatiemac few times - both were great fun. Not sure why Chati glades were roped off.

One more praise for Tahawus glade - pure snow, Chutterbox was a mistake - too many rocks.

Going to fill up the car before picking up my daughter was a mistake - almost did not make it back up the access road.

Anyone skies new glades at Ski Bowl? What's the conditions there ?
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
The bowl was amazing!  Best Eastern skiing we have ever done !  Knee high powder, nobody there. Lapped 46er glades and under lift all day. What made it even better was being at the chaos of the main base area the day before, and having the place to ourselves. Sure hope this winter continues like this.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by Denis.N
Denis.N wrote
 Not sure why Chati glades were roped off.
I did the summit tour just before lunch and yes, straight brook glades, upper Darby, and Chati glades were all closed. Turns out a lot of resources that get applied to opening glades were being spread thin due to the Hudson chair and Burnt Ridge opening. They were all open later in the day. Rumor is still a few days off, they were trying to get it to avalanche because there is too much snow on the headwall. Looks like Twister tomorrow - although the racers may have it in the AM. Twister Glades is also supposed to be open - nice.

It's still snowing here in N. Creek as I write this.

Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
In reply to this post by evergreen
+1 Skied Barkeater to the bowl and had the place to ourselves. Epic day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Another banner day for Gore, I got first tracks in Tahawus glades - with the little bit of snow we had it was great. I went over to Burnt Ridge and skied the glades. Cirque and Barkeater still had lots of snow - even the Cirque itself had good cover. Echo had good snow on the edges and nice powder bumps, Sagamore had the same. On both there were spots where cover was a little thin. The lift ride was brutal into a strong cold wind. I spent the afternoon puttering around the Saddle area but stayed low on the mountain to stay out of the wind. The crowds were crazy, but I suspect the peak is over now and things will go back to normal - next it's MLK and then Pres Week. The were parked out to Lot H again today.
Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey- jinxed us as the wind was here today!
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
Twister glades were the woods to be today - untracked snow from 3 storms, knee deep on skis. Twister itself held fine thru late afternoon. On Northside Powerder Pass and Northstar had fluffy bumps, still good conditions in afternoon. Despite crowds and wind, gondola line was no longer then 7 minutes, other lifts, not counting Sunway double were ski on.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Denis.N wrote
Twister glades were the woods to be today - untracked snow from 3 storms, knee deep on skis. Twister itself held fine thru late afternoon. On Northside Powerder Pass and Northstar had fluffy bumps, still good conditions in afternoon. Despite crowds and wind, gondola line was no longer then 7 minutes, other lifts, not counting Sunway double were ski on.
Early in the day I was avoiding the saddle area, then later when twister & the glades were open my legs were gone. This was my 5th day in a row. So I chilled in the afternoon, did a few runs down Sunway/3B and called it a day.
In the AM the Gondi was on wind hold and people starting going up the triple - the wind tunnel was unreal. Then the triple had an electrical problem and the Gondi line was all the way across to the Northwoods lodge. However once people got up and dispersed and the lift problems were resolved, lines got back to reasonable. Many times the Burnt ridge lift was almost "ski on".

Geeze - My legs are approaching 60, my mind still thinks I am 20.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Nicky Z

An edit from 4 days at Gore. Enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Nice work - that was some pretty tight tree skiing. You were certainly touring parts of Gore I have not been to - or maybe was there but too long ago to recognize the terrain. Hard to believe that was xmas week at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by Nicky Z
Love it.  Just watched it 4 times in a row.  That is some TIGHT skiing in those trees.  Had a great weekend on the hill can't wait to get back.  Love the fact that it is staying cold to keep that light fluffy stuff fresh.  Hit 46er on Sunday and it was still sweet.  Everything was sweet.  Such a gift to blow out 2012.  Hopefully a sign of good things to come.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
In reply to this post by Nicky Z
Awesome footage. Thanks for posting!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Well done. That was beyond tight. Quite a feast.
1 ... 45678910 ... 24