1234567 ... 24
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

YUKON CORNELIUS
Hermit Cam?
Hermit Cam?
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
NorEaster27 wrote
Gore got 3 inches last night, that wasnt expected.
Glad to hear that. It's been all r*in just 40 minutes South.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
outlaw, shaman you up on wed?
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

outlaw 1
ill b there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by freeheeln
10-four
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Gore skied very well, best day of the season so far. Sun shine and perfectly groomed trails, some snow on and off during the afternoon - glorious. Lots of snow making, should have Pine knot/Tannery Friday. Fairview never opened today, it had probably set up hard and was ungroomed, they were making more snow on it as well. Although I cannot confirm and did not ask, one person said they thought it looked like they were making on cloud and headwaters as well - maybe the summit will be rolling soon too.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
good day on the hill .seems like they did pretty well with all that weather.really nice surface today nice coating off the trails too
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If the weather cooperates, plans are as follows:

Friday, 12/21 - Bear Cub & Tube Operation
Saturday, 12/22 - Pine Knot & Tannery
Sunday, 12/23 - Uncas

Tuesday, 12/26 - Cloud, Headwaters, Hawkeye, Village Slope
Wed, 12/27 - Open Pit & Lies
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Now lets look at 2013. The 2013 budget is set at $7.2M, the revenue target at $8.6M so the return is down to $1.4M and based on the weather and the poor start this year, things are not looking up. Now I don't know the exact numbers but since the 2013 budget was set, ORDA picked up Belleayre and the state cut another ~$300K out of ORDAs subsidy  Ref:. So ORDA picked up Belleayre and Albany gave no money to ORDA to help with the transition and they also did not give ORDA Belleayre's subsidy that came through DEC, such a deal. Again, I do not claim to know the real Budget Gore has now but you don't have to be Greenspan to figure out what has happened. Gore (as I am sure is true with other departments in ORDA) is getting squeezed.
To me, the fact that operating expenses are budgeted at the same level as last year ($7.4 million) on reduced revenue ($8.6 million, down from $9 mil.) does not indicate a "big cut" in the budget.  As you say, a budget is just a plan, but at least that plan indicates a willingness to spend, not to cut.  

Good point about Belleayre though.  We don't know Belle's operating deficit, although quite a range of figures have been thrown around, from several hundred thou to a few million.  One thing that's interesting:  the NYS Division of Budget appropriation that you linked above ($4.7 mil for 12-13) is actually higher than amount included in ORDA's 12-13 budget ($4.1 mil).  Maybe the extra $600 thou appropriation was made to close the additional gap created by ORDA's absorption of Belle?  

For sure all of ORDA's venues will be operating under pressure to control expenses, especially if we have another poor winter.  But I think it's an overstatement to say that Gore's or ORDA's budget "took a big cut this year."

DackerDan wrote
If you know a good snow dance - now would be the time...
+1 on that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Harvey
Tuesday is the 25th and Wed is the 26th. Village Slope is opening Wednesday 12/26.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan

Conditions were fabulous.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Like.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey44 wrote

Sunday, 12/23 - Uncas

Still don't understand why Topridge isn't a priority this year. It's such a nice pitch and it's the perfect 1st and 2nd run on a powder day. I guess it doesn't "go" anywhere important like Uncas does. Still, though, if they don't get a base on it, with its southern exposure, it's not going to be around past Mid-March, and that's when it starts getting really good.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
Harvey44 wrote

Sunday, 12/23 - Uncas

Don't forget the natural north - plans are afoot to open there as well if we have snow tonight & tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Still don't understand why Topridge isn't a priority this year. It's such a nice pitch and it's the perfect 1st and 2nd run on a powder day. I guess it doesn't "go" anywhere important like Uncas does. Still, though, if they don't get a base on it, with its southern exposure, it's not going to be around past Mid-March, and that's when it starts getting really good.
I suspect it is to maximize the number of lifts for xmas week so as to spread out the crowds.
Pineknot/tannery is all that is needed to open TR3 throw in a trail to the base of straight brook and you get that lift as well.

No one likes to see long lines at the Gondi.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
DackerDan wrote
No one likes to see long lines at the Gondi.
Hope they weren't there last Saturday then . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

DackerDan
mattchuck2 wrote
Hope they weren't there last Saturday then . . .
Missed last Saturday myself although even with the crowd would have preferred to be at Gore. The Gondi line moves fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Once again passed the ski bowl on Saturday night and they were blowing the tubing park and the ski bowl hill . . . would love for that snowmaking to be on Topridge or Hawkeye instead . . . .
Here's why (press release from Gore this afternoon):
The North Creek Ski Bowl is also opening on Friday for tubing, with skiing and snowboarding on Village Slopes, snowshoeing, and nordic skiing scheduled to commence December 26.  In addition to the 800' lift-serviced tubing lanes and the Village Chair, Gore is excited to begin offering snowshoeing and nordic skiing as well.  "We are working on a 2K loop that will incorporate, but not interfere with, the areas we presently use for tubing and skiing.  Multi-use terrain at the North Creek Ski Bowl increases the diversity of our winter activities, so more people can enjoy this region's recreational opportunities," said General Manager Mike Pratt.

Although some might question utilizing snowmaking resources here, I think it's a great idea:  provides additional winter activities for visitors, supports Main Street.  Cross country skiing on a 2k snowmaking loop:  cool.  I'm guessing that the use of fan guns and pumping power from the Hudson River pump station means that snowmaking at the bowl didn't divert much snowmaking resource from the main hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by DackerDan
DackerDan wrote
Don't forget the natural north - plans are afoot to open there as well if we have snow tonight & tomorrow.
North would be great.  Nice pic from today too - that cord looks sweet!

mattchuck2 wrote
Either Mike or Emily told me (can't remember which) there would be a different early season strategy with Topridge this year because of its southern exposure and propensity to melt out in early season thaws.  Early season snowmaking efforts would be gondi terrain (front side), then on towards the summit, come back to TR later.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Must be train-related.

Tubing, village slope, and a 2k XC loop are short little jaunts from downtown that don't take up too much time and will allow people to catch their afternoon trains. Not a horrible idea I guess, but still, I'd prefer Topridge.
1234567 ... 24