classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
700 messages Options
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 35
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

YUKON CORNELIUS
Even the lower mountain is hard/fast/ice at best. I always have fun skiing, but today was tough. Weekend skier traffic may really polish the surface...
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Even the lower mountain is hard/fast/ice at best. I always have fun skiing, but today was tough. Weekend skier traffic may really polish the surface...
I thought twister and showcase were decent early, but otherwise agree with YC. Sagamore was the pick of the day but you needed to walk 75 feet to the snow. Hawkeye, pine knot, pete gay, echo and quick silver were a challenge even early. Sunway was part ice rink late in the dsyLower darby was decent, but darkside looks closed tomorrow. If there are any crowds tomorrow it will be a mess.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I wonder if anyone that works for ExxonMobile skis?  I'm sure Donald doesn't.

Not that I'm blaming anyone, but global warming sucks.  
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by TomCat
Quite a bit better today. Things skied pretty well all morning. bit not so much after lunch. We stuck to the north side mostly in the afternoon where conditions stayed good. Pine know was a mess even early and the narrow section on 2B was a problem with all the traffic from showcase and twister forced there with the race.
Darkside was closed and only Uncas had snowmaking today, which is a shame given the cold temps.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I heard they were going to blow 24-7 through Monday.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Maybe, but today the only guns I saw were on Ruby run. The snowmaking effort was minimal given how rough the mountain is. With more warm temps and rain in the forecast I would have expected more.

Today thing were nice early but a lot went down hill by late morning. Hawkeye was excellent but chatty sucked (they didn't groom it).  Headwarters was actually great, but the hike over from straight brook was a real chore. North side again skied well at least until I left around 12:30.  Darkside closed again. Lower mountain was scratchy in many places by late morning. Overall I think worse than yesterday.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Yesterday was much colder...Sagamore was much better today than yesterday.  Uncas was funky today, better yesterday but they made lots of snow that they can move around...lower mountain I agree, worsened progressively as the day went on, but lower sleighride held up well and was my choice for last run out.  IMHO both days skied similar with Saturday being colder(windier).  Today you could feel the warmth of the sun at times. It felt like an old school normal winter ski weekend (when we hadn't had fresh snow recently)...Think positive March will deliver!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Concur with Suds and Tom. Lies and Rumor were actually pretty good yesterday too once you got over the headwalls. I feel like the mountain is right on the edge. Another warm up would hit the front side pretty hard. A nice 6-8 inch storm on the other hand would make the world right again.

The wife and I participated in the Ski for MS event on Saturday. The ski race was really well done and they had some great swag and an awesome apres and raffle at the end of the day. Unfortunately it was not well publicized until a few days before the event (and hence the participation was low). It also happened on a day when most of the Mountain Adventure parents were up at WF and many NYSEF folks were elsewhere. Hopefully they get the word out a little earlier next year and they do it on a different weekend. It would be fun to get some good teams together to race.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
No offense to Gore...sometimes they do a great job...and I've been skiing there since I was about 4 years old, but Saturday was sooo bad.  Probably the worst conditions I've ever skied in.  I met up with a friend at Bromley on Sunday, and it was a world of difference.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
none taken
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Can't read the name on the truck, but possibly heading to lift 6 to repair the E-Brake issue.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gore peeps I need your help...

Been working 18 hours a day for about 3 weeks. Very sad I have not been able to ski!  

Anyway... I missed 3 inches of snow for my Gore totals (as reported by Emily) that fell sometime between Saturday 3/4 and yesterday 3/9. Can someone help me pin down the day or days it fell?

http://directory.nyskiblog.com/Gore-Mountain-Snow-Totals-2016-2017-td5001509.html
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I thought 2 of the inches was Friday 3/3. It definitely snowed 3/3, but I didn't measure it.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by green light
green light wrote
Can't read the name on the truck, but possibly heading to lift 6 to repair the E-Brake issue.
The truck is a well drilling company's that was dragged up to the Saddle to replace the well pump. The brake issue on 6 is repaired and is running today.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
-1 at the base but looks like an ok crowd anyway
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In a word; frosty.
This wind picked up which made some lifts tough to deal with. But that kept the crowds down and conditions remained decent through the day. Echo had hero snow conditions, but it was too cold for more than a few trips on the quad. Sagamore was OK. Hawkeye skied well even in the afternoon and straight brook was out of the wind. Hullaboo was a mess. North side skied well. The typical spots like the top of bear and the saddle were very wind blown.

Probably a bit better than last weekend.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Sagamore was the run of the day before 10am ish.  Wind packed powder from the first steep pitch down,  I was figuring 8 my figure 8s.  After that I felt Chati was my favorite...Hawkeye was a cruisers delight and Rumor and Lies were fast but edgeable before noon.  Last Sunday overall was better than today but similar...Freaking cold...but it keeps people on the Gondi,,,no one at Burnt Ridge.  We Need Snow!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Today was similar to yesterday except more windblown in spots. Burnt ridge was the pick of the day. Overall not quite as good as yesterday.

tom
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
Hockey rink with patches of snow from the saddle to wild air. Carve or die today.
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 35