classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
612 messages Options
1 ... 22232425262728 ... 31
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Marcski
Sno, I believe I speak for most NYSkibloggers when I say your incessant whining about everything and everywhere you ski gets very tiring and boring.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by snoloco
opps, wrong thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Back to skiing and conditions at Gore...I was there yesterday and the cool weather was much more welcome than the rain the previous day.  There was plenty of ice and bare spots, probably typical for this time of year and trails were mostly firm, very hard packed except for a few areas.  I thought the conditions on Open Pit and Hawkeye were excellent where they had really softened up, so I did a bunch of laps up top.  Wild Air wasn't bad either.

Maybe most importantly, I got a few of the last batch of Magic bars to take home to my family.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by Marcski
This ^^^^^
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Skiing today was fantastic.  If you were lucky enough to hit Rumour early...OMG, powder on top of courdoroy...who would have thunk it April 7.  Some trees in play, mostly Darkside.  Winter up top, sloppy warm mush at the bottom.  Still finding freshies at 3pm. I can't wait to go back tomorrow.  I would say they got 5-6" up high but it blew in places that piled a foot or more.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore reported 10 inches yesterday and today. I think. I was confused about when it fell.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Today was a great ski day.  Having been in Vermont all week, I was fearing the worst, but as reported, the conditions were really what I would consider to be phenomenal for April 8th.

Everything at the top of the mountain was skiing really good.  And yes as reported the woods were not only doable, but quite skiable.

Sad news though, today was the last day of the season that the High Peaks Chair would be spinning.  Tragic, because there is just so much snow on the Dark Side.

My best runs of the day, Dark Side Glade (in the woods) and Chatemac.  I did not do the Rumor, waiting for it to soften a bit, but there were a lot of skiers on the headwall most of the day.

Gore summit, really frosty, more like February than April.

Dark Side
Last run on the High Peaks Chair for the 2017-2018 Season

Milana on Chatiemac
Milana on Chatiemac

Karen on Chati
Karen on Chatiemac

Gore Summit Looking Frosty
Gore Summit looking really frosty on April 8th

The bottom of the mountain, good cover for April, but a lot of liquefaction took place and its firm and hard.  If the State can dig deep and ahem....DOWNLOAD the Gondi.....they could easily (in my opinion) make it to May 1st no problem.  I believe Uncas and Tannery have enough snow to hold out as long as there aren't any major rain events.

We left at around 13:30 or 1:00 and there were still folks walking in from the parking lot.  A decent crowd for a Sunday in April.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
This post was updated on .
I suck at taking pictures but I have two...my 2nd run from the top on Saturday

I was riding up the Straightbrook chair after this run with a guy with a red jacket and a white cross...he said, someone got this early...I said, I know and I didn't even hit anything.  Prior to this run there were already tracks in snoopy...and my last run of the day

some hiking required.  We had April in February so why not February in April.  This may have been one of the best WINTER weekends this year.  10' plus in wind deposited areas on Saturday and leftovers on Sunday.  The bottom got mushy on Saturday, which hurt coming down at the end of the day, but stayed relatively firm Sunday.  The woods off the double were amazing on Saturday and some of them still had freshies on Sunday.  My first run from the top on Saturday may have been one of the most memorable of the year. Rumor... 5" of powder on top of what I assume was Deer Valley Cord...It just peeled off on every turn and sluff ran past me down the mountain.  I didn't even think of the worm hole until after the second trip down...but as ususal, the headwall became exposed with each run.  They ended up closing the headwall midday on Sunday.   They hesitated opening Lies Saturday and we even got one of those guys mad at us...but they finally did and it was...work...but I skied it several times both days because it had the best bumps on the mountain.  There is so much snow up high that we Will be skiing it in May...just have to earn it...and my dog can come
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
I'm not skiing today because its just cold and damp, 31 degrees in Johnsburg means its likely in the upper 20's on the summit and I'm thinking its hard and frozen.....anyone up top who can shout out a report?

Gore web site says closed tomorrow due to the weather but they have left the door open for next weekend.

Looking at the long range forecast it looks like next Saturday could be a winner....as long as the snow holds out, which based on what I saw last weekend shouldn't be a problem.

If anyone is on mountain today, an update would be great!

Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I left at 10:30 today.  Very little grooming and everything set up.  Skiable but barely.  I skied yesterday and thought if it din't go below freezing it would be just as amazing...not
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
sudsnbumps wrote
I left at 10:30 today.  Very little grooming and everything set up.  Skiable but barely.  I skied yesterday and thought if it din't go below freezing it would be just as amazing...not
Yup another piss poor effort by management to not groom. Just goes to show it doesn't matter who's in charge, it's the same old bullshit...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Aren't we lucky the mountain is still open?  

What we really need is some nice warm spring weather to soften up the mountain and generate some hearty corn snow....

Right now...Johnsburg...altitude 1,500 feet and its been pelting ice all morning....much better than rain...not as good as snow....but at least it's base preservation......going to burn some old ski's today and pray for 50 degrees and sunny next Saturday....still hoping to harvest some of that Northeast Sweet Corn...

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Do we think upper mountain will be open next weekend, or will it most likely be just a few trails on the lower?  Haven't been in a while and not sure about the coverage on Uncas.

Too bad Gore isn't set up to get people straight to the top.  Maybe the next capital investment will be to extend the Gondy back to the summit to enable spring turns on Chats, Hawkeye, Rumor and Lies through May.   I'll keep dreaming :)

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
It would be cool to be able to download, but I do like the Gondi as is.

If anyone local can keep me informed about snowfall, it looks like something fell last night. The mountain won't report on snow when they are closed.

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/2017-2018/
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey wrote
It would be cool to be able to download, but I do like the Gondi as is.

If anyone local can keep me informed about snowfall, it looks like something fell last night. The mountain won't report on snow when they are closed.

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/2017-2018/
117 inches of snow.

That is a sad total. 
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
100 less than whiteface this year
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Season snow totals:

Gore:  117 Inches
Whiteface:     217 Inches
Killington: 224 Inches
Stowe:  264 Inches
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
What's Bell and Platt. as comparison?
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
In reply to this post by NorEaster27
Gores accessibility on the south rim of the Adirondack dome though great for skiers is, with the new world order (Global Warming) punishing in terms of snow totals.  

It’s apparent that a comprehensive evaluation of resources, in terms of snowmaking and its distribution on the mountain should take place.

If Gore management were to leverage snow making and access in terms of getting skiers to the mountain and then to the upper mountain, and market themselves as having the longest ski season in NYS, maybe it would be a win win for everyone.  

I never liked the new Gondi.  Still don’t.  It should have been a chair. The old red gondola ride from the base lodge to the summit was magical.  I loved it.  Big mountain all the way.  And this time of year they could easily run Rumor into late May.  

Imagine that.....The Rumor Glacier.....deepest base in NYS....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
117 inches of snow.

That is a sad total.
It's close to average for Gore. Since 2008 we have the average, not counting this season, as 121 inches:

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/gore-mountain-snow-totals/annual-average/

If you accept what I call the marketing average of 150" then it's 78% of average, about on par with Stowe at 81%.

Whitefaces' marketing average is 201 I believe?

http://nyskiblog.com/directory/weather-data/eastern-ski-area-snowfall-averages/new-york/

Whiteface skiers how would you rate the season on a scale of 1-10 with Scotty's 2001 as a 10?

Back on Gore for a second, they recorded 115 in 14-15 and most of us agreed it was a pretty good season with at least 6 weeks with a warm up or rain.  As always, the devil is in the details.
1 ... 22232425262728 ... 31