classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
518 messages Options
12345 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington Conditions

K man
Hickory Martha skied yesterday and said it was the best spring skiing this season.  Not many people, 50+degrees, corn snow, what a way to start the season.  I think it's the first time every she has gotten first turns in before me.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Billx2
Skied Killington on 11/9 and 11/19. Great both days with more terrain opened on the 19th. If you go before 12/16 don't forget your Killington BOGO voucher. Three hour ride each way, but well worth it. Kudos to Killington for the early start on what I am hoping to be a snowy ski season...
Billx2
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
They're in pretty rough shape now.
Was warm, rained, then it got all crusty. Everything that was groomed had some sugar that was alright to ski on. Anything that hadn't been groomed needed to be skied in quite a bit to break through the rain crust to the soft stuff.

They lost quite a bit of snow.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Killington was awesome.  I was amazed at how great skiing stayed all day with temps in the 70s.

Superstar is the real deal with at least a ten foot base remaining.  Shout out to Cornhead! Pretty sure I saw him in a black sleeve-less T?  Will try to put up a real report in the next day or two.

Surprise(!) Mystery Guest
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like the fat lady is warming up.

From K's Facebook Page:

FREE skiing and riding for all at Killington!
This weekend (May 25th & May 26th)

Given the intensity of the rain we received last night and the forecast of significant rain starting tonight through the day on Saturday, our operational plans have changed since last night’s communication. This weekend (May 25th & May 26th), we will be offering FREE skiing and riding for all at Killington! Walking between snowfields will be required in several spots. Ma Nature is charging into summer and has other things in mind for us other than skiing, like golf and Mt Biking? To push any remaining snow to make connecting bridges would only hasten the melt process. Please note we are now going to operate Saturday and Sunday only, from 8-5, on the Superstar lift and trail.

We gave it our best shot to get into June, thus at the end of business on Sunday we are calling it a season. We thank all for your patronage and support this year. Don’t forget to buy your season passes for next year’s greatest value opportunity by June 13th! Remember only 130 days until we’re at it again for 2013-14!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
there goes my monday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

From Facebook
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Jess and I had ski day #1 today at Killington.  

Chilly but damn the conditions were great.  Everything from mellow cruisers to the soft double blacks.  I know none of the trail/peak names.  Skied for about 3.5hrs.

Damn it feels good.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Wait, I saw you at Gore on Saturday, but you didn't ski?
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
mattchuck2 wrote
Wait, I saw you at Gore on Saturday, but you didn't ski?
No.  Long story...

Ok, well in short my last name ends in SKI.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Oh yeah.. I mean "ride"... When I say "ski", I mean "slide on snow"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Spent last week at Killington for the PSIA Masters Academy.

The skiing was fantastic for December.  Week started very cold and snowy and ended warm arnd rainy.  Had some of the nicest packed powder I can ever remember skiing in the East.  I:)skiing was on my group and we had a good time.  

Hopefully they will survive the storm this weekend ok.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
This post was updated on .
Hit the place for the first time ever today (has K passes I bought in september burning a hole in my pocket).  Snow was very soft all day.  Good coverage... but soft.  Never got sticky, just had to push a bit.  Really suprised with the crowds midweek, a lot more people then I expected.  Never had to wait more then a few minutes... but for a person that skis Gore midweek ANY wait is too much.  

On that note, I actually found the entire hill a bit disappointing.  I'm not sure where they are hiding that 3070' of vertical... I could not find it.  My longest run was 1600'... felt like I was on the lift way too quick.  Runs were vertically challenging, but because they were as wide as a football field I felt I never really had to work.  Ya, there are a lot of runs... and yes they have a lot of snow on them... but I just felt like every black was the same, ever double black was the same, and every blue was a parking lot.  It is nice to see some bumps, but that is the only thing that kept my interest.  Never hit the woods, they looks way skied off.  

So, is it just me?  I'm I missing something here?  
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I haven't skied KMart in some time and my daughter never...Yesterday was supposed to be us at Tucks but with Thursday's avalanche forecast and the delay in posting Friday's...our backup plan was Killington...What a great freaking decision.  They were spinning Superstar, K-1 and Canyon.  Lots of skiing to choose from with great conditions and bluebird.  Skied a few tree shots, ducked some ropes and skied miles and miles of bumps...and they were open until 5!  We picked up some unused vouchers in the lot for cheap...Thanks Alan.  He was actually at Platte on that infamous October snowstorm and told us he met this really nice guy Harvey who had a ski website   He said he now stalks but hasn't posted
There is a ton of skiing left and if we don't get a crushing rain storm, could make it until June
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Awesome Suds. I think I know Alan... if he used to work at Hunter.

K in late spring is so cool.

We poached a run off Cascade (?) on May 5 last year and it was one of the best runs of my life:

Would love to get together there in the next few weeks.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Harvey wrote
Would love to get together there in the next few weeks.
Go tomorrow, I am.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
He said Hunter was his home mountain.  I used to ski K early and late before kids...now I can do it with the kids, pretty cool.  I have limited number of possible days but if the stars align, I would be happy to go back this spring...it ain't over yet
Tucks is still my priority
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by snoloco
The weather didn't look good as it was supposed to r*in.  So I nixed the trip in favor of Six Flags since it wasn't going to get r*in.  I am glad I made this choice as it r*ined at the base and there was heavy wet snow at the top.  I will take 9 roller coaster rides with no r*in over skiing in the r*in every time.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I finished my season there yesterday.  Superstar lift was spinning and served what skied like 4 runs.  Most were moguls, but there was some grooming.  I can't believe that it is all over now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Word on Kzone is that this weekend may well be it. Anyone going?
12345 ... 26