classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
518 messages Options
1234567 ... 26
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Killington Conditions

sudsnbumps
IMHO The Canyon was the place to be but it was all excellent if you like big squishy bumps.  The best lines to me were on downdraft...but everything was excellent.  There was some walking (minimal) or if you're a Duck you ski the grass and rocks too.  Unfortunately it looks like today was the end for the canyon quad though
Summer Sucks!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Stopped in on Saturday Morning (5/9) and it was a blast. Skied Superstar and Skyelark. Both were all bumped up with awesome Spring snow (as one would expect). There were spots on the edges where the snow had "flattened" a bit on it's own which was nice. I even was able to ski in and around some trees on the berm on skiers right. There was one maybe 5 foot patch of dirt on Superstar. Everything else was total coverage. The place was packed and definitely making money, especially at the bar. Very cool.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski

Ahhhh!  Big soft bumps, warm sun and 2 cold IPAs with a grilled burger for lunch.  Priceless!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski

My baby on Superstar.  This place is amazing. The Beast is definitely back!!

Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
I'll be there tomorrow hopefully with my youngest.  Ate at the Lookout last night...damn good burger! Might have to have another after skiing tomorrow...MY LAST DAY  
Summer Sucks!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
sudsnbumps wrote
I'll be there tomorrow hopefully with my youngest.  Ate at the Lookout last night...damn good burger! Might have to have another after skiing tomorrow...MY LAST DAY  Summer Sucks!
We'll be there again as well.  Look for us and say hello. You know what she looks like I'll be the guy floundering through the bumps on my teles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski

What a fantastic day and weekend. Great to meet you and your daughter, Suds.  Same for you, Darkside.  
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Very envious.  Bet the burgers and beers felt pretty special while skiing in May!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Marcski

Looks good.  Any scuttlebutt or guesses how long they will go?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Although I am done(99%), no question next weekend will be a go.  Superstar Only  June will depend on what Mother Nature throws at us.  If the stars align correctly I would love another day like today

Great meeting some new folks from the blog and skiing with my youngest and meeting and skiing with an old racing buddy of hers.  Great to see some Gore faithful and Thanks to Killington for providing the best possible skiing on May 17th.  I hate this inevitable time of the year and although there are a lot of activities I enjoy over the next few months, I can't wait until we can do this again.
Summer Sucks!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The end is near for Killy:

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/conditions

4:57 pm 05/21/15--Welcome back skiers and riders. It is Memorial Day weekend and that means four days of fun here in Killington. We'll start things off Friday with top-to-bottom skiing and riding on the expert-level Superstar Trail. In order to preserve snow we've kept the grooming to a minimum, smoothing just a single lane down the middle. The groomers have been working for the last two nights to reconnect the upper and lower sections so we will start the weekend with continuous skiing and riding, though we may have some walking required as weekend traffic takes its toll. Natural melting has reduced the size of the moguls so expect delightful medium sized bumps on Friday morning. Conditions change fast in late May so stay tuned for updates.

Looking ahead, we want to prepare you for the possibility that this will be the last weekend. As we've said all along, Mother Nature will decide when we pull the plug, and she's getting insistent. We do plan to run the lift on Monday June 1, and tickets will be complimentary on that day. There will most definitely be multiple mandatory walking sections by then but if skiing or riding in June is on your bucket list, this could be your chance. As for the weekend of May 29-31, we don't currently plan to operate because we just don't think the snow will hold up well enough to handle the weekend traffic. If cooler temperatures prevail between now and then, and the snow holds up, we will reassess closer to the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The season has turned.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

3:15 pm 05/28/15--Mother Nature gives, and she takes away too. Unfortunately, the time has come to call it a season. Last night's storm dropped significant amounts of rain and we've just lost too much snow to continue. Thus, we will not operate any more for this season.

Killington is proud to have delivered 192 days of skiing and riding this season, once again offering the longest season in eastern North America!

Thanks to all who encouraged us to try to get to June, but alas we will have to try again next year. With temperatures reaching 80 degrees many times through the month of May, Superstar could not hold on for the final curtain call on Monday, June 1.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I hope they're giving people their money back. rabble rabble.

(obviously kidding)
Reply | Threaded
|

ElevatedLocals
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Here's my story of the last Killington Weekend- if you weren't there (but I'm sure you were).
Dirt Dogging It At Killington bit.ly/1MvUZ8M
till next year!
elevatedlocals.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Guess the forum doesn't like shortened links.  I made it hot using the actual link.

Those are some fun gifs and footy, thanks for posting.
Reply | Threaded
|

ElevatedLocals
Thanks Harvey!
elevatedlocals.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sounds like passholders got the royal treatment yesterday. Free lunch and snacks, cheap beerz.  Good on ya K!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like one more day at least:

"5:39 pm 10/19/15--It's a treat to have great skiing and riding in mid-October but there's no guarantee how long favorable weather will last; we suggest you get it while you can. On Tuesday you'll find us skiing and riding on 2 groomed runs in the North Ridge area or jibbing and jumping on 6 fresh features in the Reason Terrain Park. We plan to stay open for skiing and riding as long as conditions allow, but stay tuned right here for timely updates on our status - things can change rapidly this time of year."
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
5:05 pm 10/22/15--Well skiers and riders, we gave it our best but a lack of cold air is preventing any further snowmaking thru at least early next week. We do hope to have a brief period of below freezing weather tonight, and that will likely allow us to groom Rime and Reason, delivering some nice, fresh corduroy for Friday morning carving. The parks crew will assess the Reason Park overnight and make every effort to have some features available going forward.

Weekend Outlook
Starting Saturday, October 24, Killington will be open for Season Pass and Express Card holders only. No day tickets will be available until further notice.

Although the skiing and riding conditions in the North Ridge area are still quite good, the loading area for the North Ridge Triple has gone quickly, and the current base depth that we have will not stand up to heavy weekend traffic.

Hopefully more wintry weather will return in the very near future and we can get back to business as usual. Please check back here at the Daily Report or follow us on twitter for real-time updates on conditions and operations.

Access to open terrain will be via the K-1 Express Gondola, which will upload from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., and the North Ridge Triple which will operate from 9:00 a.m.-3:45 p.m. A short walk on our scenic Peak Walkway is required to get to and from the open terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
Almost made it.

They're still ahead of Loveland and Abasin, FWIW. They don't look like they'll be doing to well for early season this year. EDIT, I Was wrong. Early season snow isn't good for stability anyways. Keep it out until the ground is frozen and there will be more snow falling on top it of.

Squirrel!
1234567 ... 26