classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
401 messages Options
1 ... 161718192021
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Objectivity

MC2 5678F589
Are you sure about this story? Reported only in a conservative paper (and repeated by The Hill).

Nothing on the church's website about it that I can find...

Also, even if the story is true, it's their Church, they can choose what statues they want anyway. Isn't there... Uhhhh... Something else going on in the world you want to talk about, camp? Or do you just want to fight an endless culture war in the NYSkiBlog Off Topic Forum?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No, I'm not certain on this story but it's as reliable as anything else on MSN's news feed, right?

I agree that it's the church's right to remove it if they see fit. I just see it as unfortunate and wonder what pressures were put upon them to take it down. It's kind of a big deal to know that GW worshiped there. After all, GW is kind of a big deal in this  great country of ours. You know, history and all of that silly stuff.

Fighting??? Why do you perceive everything as a fight?  What are your thoughts on removing memorials of GW. I think it's unfortunate. But then again I'm into that kind of thing. My girl and I spent last weekend in Sackets Harbor walking around the battle fields there. I enjoy that history. Looking at the old buildings, cannons, memorials, reading the plaques etc etc.

Earlier in this same thread I asked you about your thoughts regarding the Air Force Generals speech and got crickets from you. It seems to me you're the one who wants to fight.

p.s. i'm involved in quite a few threads here in the OT section of NYSkiBlog --- wanna talk sweet cars? I'm not the one just spewing my hate for tRump either  but you're doing a great job pointing out the obvious
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
campgottagopee wrote
Earlier in this same thread I asked you about your thoughts regarding the Air Force Generals speech and got crickets from you. It seems to me you're the one who wants to fight.
I didn't watch it. What was it about?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I just watched it again. This guy has it --- he's a leader.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I didn't watch it. What was it about?

Did you watch it yet?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, most of it.

Sounded like a guy saying exactly what everyone should say when confronted with unacceptable behavior.

Unfortunately, I remember somebody on this forum arguing that racism wasn't that bad because even though some people are racist as hell, they could still be good guys. I recall that the person used as an example was in the military, too. I wonder what his reaction would have been if he had been given this talk by a commanding officer. Acceptance? Or anger?

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good. I'm glad you watched it.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Also, you'll be happy to know that this story is mostly false. Good thing you got all butthurt about it.

https://www.snopes.com/george-washington-historic-church-plaque/
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Did you miss my question?

What would your grandfather have said if his CO gave that speech in WW2?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You are referring to my Grandfather who I told you at one point in his life was racist as hell. That was during WWII. He told me I would never understand how it was then because I didn't live through it. I excepted his reasoning because he was right, I could never understand what WWII was like. I also shared with you how he softened throughout his years. And how one of his grand daughters having a half black daughter helped change him. So yea, people change. Knowing my Grandfather, at least during WWII he would've gotten out. Knowing him in my adult years he would've stayed. Does that answer your question good enough or would you like further explanation.

Funny you see that as an argument. Oh wait --- everything is an argument to you. I keep forgetting that.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yo bubble boy --- see above ^^^^

MC2 5678F589 wrote
Did you miss my question?

What would your grandfather have said if his CO gave that speech in WW2?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Not an argument, I was genuinely curious.

The problem with telling people that behaviors are unacceptable is that some people see that as a challenge to their manhood and a direct personal insult to them personally (see: 4 year olds when they hear the word "no", a bunch of people after the Hillary Clinton "deblorables" comment who assumed she was talking about them, Donald Trump).

I just wondered which way your grandfather would have gone.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Not an argument, I was genuinely curious.

The problem with telling people that behaviors are unacceptable is that some people see that as a challenge to their manhood and a direct personal insult to them personally (see: 4 year olds when they hear the word "no", a bunch of people after the Hillary Clinton "deblorables" comment who assumed she was talking about them, Donald Trump).

I just wondered which way your grandfather would have gone.
Gotcha. I'm glad I was able to answer your question.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Didn't see that one coming. But IMO the statements made by the school's superintendent, Lt. Gen Silveria, remain valid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I don't know what the black guy was thinking doing something like that.  Maybe he was trying to prove the whole USAF was racist or something. The ironic thing is he didn't embarrass Silveria, he gave him the opportunity to show what kind of leader he really is.  SO it's still a win for the good guys.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yea, I agree that the Generals words and actions still, and always will, ring true. As for the cadet  I was really confused as to why he did that. He wanted out so that's how he thought he could do it? I guess it worked.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
A bunch of people said in a poll that the statutory rape claims against nutcase Alabama Senate Candidate Roy Moore would make them more likely to vote for him. Evangelicals (37%) were more likely to say this than the general population (29%).

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
What is going on with "evangelicals"?

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
After seeing your first post I googled "evangelical" because clearly I don't know what they are or stand for. Definitions are vague, I still don't know.  One theme seems to be taking the gospel literally.

Anybody know?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
1 ... 161718192021