Olympic Thread

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Olympic Thread

campgottagopee
Yes, but hasn't he been held accountable?? Wasn't the law suit settled?

The guy just won a gold medal --- let him have his moment

What he did was flat ass wrong and in his past. He did go on to apologize.  Hell I can't stand boarders to begin with
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
campgottagopee wrote
Yes, but hasn't he been held accountable?? Wasn't the law suit settled?

The guy just won a gold medal --- let him have his moment

What he did was flat ass wrong and in his past. He did go on to apologize.  Hell I can't stand boarders to begin with
Nah, I don’t think settlement of a lawsuit (hush money, admittance of guilt) constitutes being held accountable for the actions.  I haven’t searched a ton, but I haven’t seen where he has apologized for his actions.

Wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, now that he IS being held accountable, for him to actually apologize, and to make a statement warning the youth who idolize him to steer clear of the trappings of youth and fame, and to learn something from the painful experience he is enduring now, in what should be his most triumphant moment......perhaps?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I don’t know.  Having seen first hand how young men don’t respect young women maybe I’m a little sensitive.  Seems maybe White could help a generation of youth to respect women more, by way of his “don’t do what I did” message.  He could help them respect women because they deserve to be respected, and not because abusing them could come back to bite you on the ass in your most shining moment.

#usetheplatformforgoodShaun
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
*Attacks on Shaun White*
Hmmmm.. If JTG is this much against Shaun White, he really must hate Trump because over 20 women have stepped forward with credible allegations of sexual abuse, and he has settled a lot of cases! I'm sure JTG has said a lot about that, seeing as we've talked about Trump a bunch over in the OT forum...

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Seems like JTG is just interested in tearing down Shaun White... Weird.

Credit to camp, because I could've sworn he was going to be attacking White for brushing the flag on the ground in this thread as part of his celebration (something I'm reading a lot of this morning). Good job, camp, I agree with you in this thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
shit i missed the "national angry white mob day" memo, lynch 'em all!

men's moguls the other day kicked ass!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
If having a friendly convo with you guys, in an Olympics related thread, here in our little anonymous corner of the inter web constitutes “tearing Shaun White down” then I guess......yeah.  You don’t want to talk about it I guess I’ll just shut up then.  If you ever have a daughter whom some young man,  who probably just wants to enjoy the moments he can share with grandma and the world, physically disrespects and assaults I guess maybe you’ll see things differently?

As for tRump, I’ve never defended his character, nor did I vote for him.  He’s a piece of shit human being who should also be held accountable for his actions.  I’m sure you’ll probably try to find a quote of mine to the contrary.....

Trump is a PoS and everyone knows it.  White is a hero the youth of today look up to.  As sad a commentary on the country as it is....I think sports are more relevant to a lot of youth than politics at this time, and I like talking about sports more than politics.....so I don’t find the context in which I choose to have this discussion weird at all.

What is weird?  You obsessive-compulsive need to turn every thread to Trump.  Dude, you need to either get a grip, or get some help!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
JTG4eva! wrote
Trump is a PoS and everyone knows it.  White is a hero the youth of today look up to.
My comment was about this dynamic.

If we take two people, and one is adored around the country, has made some mistakes, but has taken responsibility and accepted accountability, while the other doesn't accept accountability for anything, and lies, obfuscates & distorts the truth to make himself appear more favorable in the public eye (if you don't like the use of Trump, the sports equivalent is Ben Roethlesberger), we probably should aim our criticism barrels at the second guy, and not the first guy.

I mean, when Bode Miller was racing, whenever anyone brought him up, did you say "Actually, Bode Miller is an asshole, look at this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2838030/Bode-Miller-ex-finally-reach-settlement-custody-battle-18-month-old-son-t-agree-name.html"?

I get that America today loves to beat down people on top until they assume their rightful place with the rest of us, and hand wave away the bad behavior of (certain) people to try to make them seem better than they actually are so that they might be seen as "just a guy who does some locker room talk", but when someone comes on the NYSkiBlog and throws cold water on what was a tremendous athletic performance by bringing up old shit (or the heinous crime of "flag dragging", as some on the internet are doing), it just brings everyone down.

Yeah, bud, people aren't perfect. I thought we had figured that out by the time of Charles Barkley's "I am not a role model" commercial.

I started this thread to celebrate the accomplishments of some of the best athletes in the world (and also some people who slide rocks on ice). I didn't really intend for every person we talk about to be brought down right in their moment of glory.

Sometimes, in life and on the internet, it's better to just let a good thing be a good thing, instead of jumping in with a "Well, actually..."

So, in conclusion, I leave you with this joke:

Where do internet commenters get their water from?

From a well, actually...
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
 And that one Norwegian dude who went by everyone like they hit reverse in the x-country sprint was amazing as well.
I have to find this video, someone else described this same thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
 And that one Norwegian dude who went by everyone like they hit reverse in the x-country sprint was amazing as well.
I have to find this video, someone else described this same thing.
I looked for it. If you find it please share it because I'd watch it over and over. It was an amazing display of strength. He literally has another gear that nobody else possesses. When you factor in that his competition is the elitist in the world it's even more mind blowing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
They've even named the portion of the hill where he blew everyone's doors off after him. It was a good ol fashion ass kickin and the race was for second.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
Ummm.....MC, I guess I’m sorry I infringed on the intent of your Olympics thread by discussing something relevant to the Olympics.  That last post of yours is so full of twisted shit I’m just going to send rainbow unicorns and love your way!  Happy happy, joy joy!  Here, take a cookie.....
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I want to see it too!  I looked a little..
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
Ummm.....I guess I’m sorry I infringed on the intent of your thread by discussing something relevant to the Olympics.  That last post of your is so full of twisted shit I’m just going to send rainbow unicorns and love your way!  Happy happy, joy joy!  Here, take a cookie.....
Yep he's famous for that
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
White crushed that last run.  He is amazing.  I'm wanting to see that XC video. Find it, Camp!

As for the tangent this thread has taken, perhaps, if White had just handled the initial question better, like, "I have no comment about that, it was handled legally between the parties' lawyers", he would be in a better position now.  Personally, I don't have any issue with him "not using the moment" etc.  He's a snowboarder.  Just because one doesn't espouse a particular cause doesn't make them an asshole, in my book.  Some people are more motivated by causes than others.  If he doesn't want to step up, and be held accountable to be that old fashioned, Wheaties box "American Olympic Hero", so be it.  IMHO, it doesn't make him a bad person.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I always look to snowboarders for my moral compass

pro athletes and rock stars too!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
I always look to snowboarders for my moral compass

pro athletes and rock stars too!
OK, almost needed a new keyboard ---- coffee damn near came out my nose!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yes gorgo is on. He's the complete package as his work has social relevance too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Holy crap
Let’s keep this about the Olympics

I feel for Tommy B that got injured in his DH training run

Shooting guns makes XC skiing way more fing interesting

Short track relay blew my mind.  That was some cool ass TV
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
Z wrote
Holy crap
Let’s keep this about the Olympics
And now, a word from Emily Litella ...
Emily Litella wrote
What's all this talk about limp dicks? In my day ...
Chevy Chase wrote
No ... No ... Emily ... It's not limp dicks, it's Olympics.
Emily Litella wrote
Oh ... Well ... That's different ... Never mind.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Mikaela Gold GS.  Amazing runs. So deserving.  Great job Mikaela.