classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
75 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Olympic Thread

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
I loved the interview with Mikaela last night, where she addressed her comment from Sochi that she was looking forward to winning 5 gold medals in 2018.  Ambitious?  Hell yeah, but a great athlete should have an ambitious ‘I’m going to win it all’ attitude.  No need to apologize for that!

Z wrote
Holy crap
Let’s keep this about the Olympics.
Wow, that would be disappointing from anyone, but you COACH?  If NYSSEF is doing anything right they are teaching your son and other athletes in the program how to be more than just great skiers.  Your son and others, whether they make it or not, should aspire to the Olympic ideals.  If you all think the Olympics are simply a bunch of people playing sports every two years than you really don’t have a clue......

Maybe look at the Olympic Charter sometime.  Olympic sports are a vehicle for much larger ideals.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I still can't find that damn video!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Schiffrin is one class act , her drive and determination is impressive . Her performance was spot on and her decision to pull out of the Super G is wise given the compressed schedule and her focus on other races now !!

Great Job MS !!!!  And hey how bout those " Attacking Vikings" in the mens DH , damn those boys laid down  some lines !!  And like many ofyou i find that short track stuff crazy fun to  watch , fn chaos onblades .

And one more thing our local guy from Canton , Ny  Jordan Greenway  a 6ft 6  dude   ( plays for BU ) who is just a super  young guy scored in the hockey loss to Slovenia a heartbreaking loss
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Anyone who has raised an athlete through NYSEF program knows exactly what Bode meant, and he is right.  So sad the blown up interpretation by again the mass media.  Talk about a prep course for college and life, NYSEF does it right.  So many sacrifices, including relationships and social life, during jr and sr high school, to be successful.

Wouldn't it be refreshing, shocking actually, if NBC and others reported on something that mattered as their focus, and details on results reporting was not secondary.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
The Olympics are definitely just a bunch of people playing sports every two years. Every organization has a dumb mission statement like that. Here's the one from Starbuck's:

Creating a culture of warmth and belonging, where everyone is welcome.
      Acting with courage, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
      Being present, connecting with transparency, dignity and respect.
      Delivering our very best in all we do, holding ourselves accountable for results.
It never ceases to amaze me how seriously people take frivolous shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
They left out the part about supplying caffeine to the masses.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
i have no idea what you are bitching about here
I was objecting to bring political shit into the games discussion for a 2 page tangent

Nysef has positively impacted my kids life in so many ways.  We had no idea he was bored silly in school until Nysef asked us to have him train on Fridays missing school.  His teachers then gave him more to do the other 4 days and his grades shot up.  We skipped him over a grade the next yr and he has been a straight a student ever since while going to school 4 days a half the school yr.

Now back to the games. NBC shit the bed by not bothering to show any Americans for the Super G and naming the podium.  Show some respect for our athletes NBC.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
They left out the part about supplying caffeine to the masses.
And making people shit every morning.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Did a snowboarder just win the women’s SG?  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
NBC got burned because they needed to get out of the Super G to show fing figure skating.
Anyone in the top 30 can win
NBC went in cover thier ass mode and made it seem like ledecka was a snowboarder that hoped on Shiffrins skis and won out of nowhere
I looked up her FIS points list and she is sub 30 points in every discipline and a low of 13 points in DH but was down to 6 points earlier in the year.  She probably races less than most since she is competing in two Sports
She is a ski racer who also happens to snowboard not the other way around. There is not as many snowboard WCs.   It would be cool to see her medal in both Sports though.  
She normally would ski in the 2nd seed but following the path Warhorse took to his first medal with field limited to 4 a country vs 10 Austrians in a typical World Cup the Olympics is well suited to dark horse medals much more than a WC.its interesting to see what skiers can do with a cleaners course than they normally get with the WC seeding.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Interesting thanks for the real story and points info.    Oh the spin of NBC and the rest....
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
The Olympics are definitely just a bunch of people playing sports every two years. Every organization has a dumb mission statement like that. Here's the one from Starbuck's:

Creating a culture of warmth and belonging, where everyone is welcome.
      Acting with courage, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
      Being present, connecting with transparency, dignity and respect.
      Delivering our very best in all we do, holding ourselves accountable for results.
It never ceases to amaze me how seriously people take frivolous shit.
yea --- OK

Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Lindsey Vaughn getting beat by a snowboarder on borrowed equipment is the best thing ever....

“I do like snowboarders but it would be super great if there could be a little separation.”
Lindsey Vonn

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/02/18/lindsey-vonn-loses-to-snowboarder-who-raced-mikaela-shiffrin/
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
dmc_hunter wrote
Lindsey Vaughn getting beat by a snowboarder on borrowed equipment is the best thing ever....
You're against U.S. athletes winning?
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
billyymc wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
No...  Not at all...
Where the fuck did I say that?  Really...
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
dmc_hunter wrote
billyymc wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
No...  Not at all...
Well you said that her being beat by a snowboarder was the best thing ever. Said snowboarder is from the Czech Republic. Logically, you are saying that Lindsey Vonn being being by an athlete from the Czech Republic is the best thing ever.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
billyymc wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
billyymc wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
No...  Not at all...
Well you said that her being beat by a snowboarder was the best thing ever. Said snowboarder is from the Czech Republic. Logically, you are saying that Lindsey Vonn being being by an athlete from the Czech Republic is the best thing ever.
Flawed logic...  

She had no chance of winning... because she sucks at SuperG..  
And her statements about snowboarding were controversial in my circles...   And she dated Tiger Woods... :)  
So... whatever... Glad she got embarrassed by a snowboarder - could care less where the amazingly talented athlete came from...  She deserves the gold and her story is amazing..    I'll root for amazing performances in the Olympics no matter the country.... Almost always...  
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
dmc_hunter wrote
Flawed logic...
Nope, I guess you didn't ever take a course in logic.

Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
billyymc wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Flawed logic...

Cool - think what you want...   I have no need to continue with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
dmc_hunter wrote
billyymc wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Flawed logic...

Cool - think what you want...   I have no need to continue with you.
And yet, you did.