Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
51 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

campgottagopee
As a kid growing up inthe 70's and 80's I was totally into Rush. To me they are the best 3 piece rock band to ever hit the stage, no other 3 piece band can make the sound these guys do. I watched the movie Beyond the Lighted Stage last night totally grinning from ear to ear...WOW, did that movie bring back memories and explain a lot of why I did what I did. If you're a Rush fan and haven't seen the movie do yourself a favor and check it out. Totally cool

http://www.rushbeyondthelightedstage.com/

Any other Rush fans???
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage

warp daddy
Uh Yep !!   i STILL play lotsa Rush stuff on the axe especially with my sons and my 2 grandsons  when we're together  ! The 15 y/o is a freaking drum monkey and studies pert like he's a damn textbook

2112 -- great stuff , one of the best early "guitar effects" tracks .

Bought my first Boss Trick box with over 400 programmable effects just so i could try to replicate Lifeson's style . I try but damn that guy still can wail

And Neal Pert --- friggen amazing !! and Getty well  the  dude has an other worldly delivery
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yup, 2112 really did it...I would put the headphones on and just whale it

Warp, when your kids are around you need to do a video and share it with us...that would be a hoot!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Seriously, who else can do this:

They're not just some studio band either....IMO, better live than not
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camper :   2112 is the #1 disc in my car sound system .

ALWAYs give it a spin when coming back from golf or skiing -- freaking love the "effects" AND when i'm alone in the car the volume is brain bleeding

-- hell man U gotta HEAR  Rush not just listen !
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Never really listened to Rush except one tune that was always on the radio?    I was more of a YES guy.  In college it was always YES vs Genesis.  Swore there was no way Genesis was as good, but now, not so sure...

NEED to see a YouTube of Warp grindin the axe!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Camp / Harv -- "preciate the support dudes BUT damn i 'd be a UTTER disappointment compared to Lifeson  and THAT's the  Gospel Truth ! 

i'm barely passable as an axeman  and the young-uns  in the family have blown by the ole man now when we play together .  My fingers are too damn short and arthritic  for them 4/5  fret  chord stretches -- i gotta "cheat" on  'em now

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
FWIW, 99.9% of geetar players can't hold a candle to Lifeson

I never got the whole Yes/Genesis thingE....guess I was too much of a head banger to pay attention to it.

That said, there was a point when Rush drifted away from their hard rock and started getting into the bubble gum crap(glad that only lasted a year)...guess that's when i drifted and Alice in Chains stepped in
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Funny-------------- Camp my son  n daughter must b about your age 42 /45 THEY  r the reason i got into Rush. At first i thought it was mondo weird and that Getty Lee sounded like somebody with his nutz cut off  but the more i listened it grew on me kinda like Led Zep did when they were first on the scene . But i go WaaaaaaY  back

Then later on my kids when they were in university got into The Jane's addiction and the Chilis and did the Lollapalooza Tour thing in the late 80's

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
u nailed it...45 and still RAWKIN
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
This post was updated on .
campgottagopee wrote
FWIW, 99.9% of geetar players can't hold a candle to Lifeson

That's not really saying much Camp.  Of guitarists you actually may have heard of, he doesn't really fare that well.  Just checked Rolling Stone 'cus I was curious.  They put him at a fairly anemic 98th out of the top 100.  The Boss came in at 96 - and I don't think he'll ever be accused of being a great guitarist.  Of course, it's all subjective but the people who voted for the RS list were actual professional guitarists so their opinions should carry some weight with you.

campgottagopee wrote
never got the whole Yes/Genesis thingE..
I'm with ya'.  Kinda pretentious and annoying.  And neither have stood the test of time very well - at least to my ear.  Especially Yes!.  They sound so dated now - and not in a cool, retro, old school way.  More like in a "WTF were they thinking" kinda way.  Different genre but the The Moody Blues are the same way.  I hear them and want to just vomit.

Rush made a lot of noise for 3 guys, that's for sure, and I liked 'em well enough thirty years ago.  They haven't stood the test of time well either - again, at least to me.  The White Stripes are way more my speed these days - and there's only 2 of them.  Jack White came in at 70 on the RS list, BTW.  
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
i had a few rush 8 tracks but ted nugent got a lot more play back then  - saw a car (?) commercial on tv the other night with stranglehold in the background - when i let out "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon WAAAAAAAAGHGHGGHG!!!!' the kids were like wtf....

if i was pickin' a top trio it'd have to be zztop
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
campgottagopee wrote
FWIW, 99.9% of the geetar players can't hold a candle to Lifeson
That's not really saying much Camp.  Of guitarists you actually may have heard of, he doesn't really fare that well.  Just checked Rolling Stone 'cus I was curious.  They put him at a fairly anemic 98th out of the top 100.  The Boss came in at 96 - and I don't think he'll ever be accused of being a great guitarist.  Of course, it's all subjective but the people who voted for the RS list were actual professional guitarists so their opinions should carry some weight with you.
Guess I wasn't clear enough, what a shocker

being that he's in the top 100 I'd say that would qualify him as in the top .1 % of the gazillions of guitarists, no??

Or I could've just said I agree with ya
Noah John wrote
I'm with ya'.  Kinda pretentious and annoying.  And neither have stood the test of time very well - at least to my ear.  Especially Yes!.  They sound so dated now - and not in a cool, retro, old school way.  More like in a "WTF were they thinking" kinda way.  Different genre but the The Moody Blues are the same way.  I hear them and want to just vomit.

Rush made a lot of noise for 3 guys, that's for sure, and I liked 'em well enough thirty years ago.  They haven't stood the test of time well either - again, at least to me.  The White Stripes are way more my speed these days - and there's only 2 of them.  Jack White came in at 70 on the RS list, BTW.  
White Stripes???? Really???? You're just weird
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
i had a few rush 8 tracks but ted nugent got a lot more play back then  - saw a car (?) commercial on tv the other night with stranglehold in the background - when i let out "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon WAAAAAAAAGHGHGGHG!!!!' the kids were like wtf....

if i was pickin' a top trio it'd have to be zztop
i like that commercial too

zztop...u sure you're not a redneck????
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Big fan of Rush and ZZTop. Some other favorites that crank with 3  - Cream, Triumph, Motorhead, Nirvana, jimi hendrix, the James Gang, Grand Funk RR, Thin Lizzy, Green Day.

Triumph was also Canadian and was sometimes compared to Rush.  It is amazing to see 3 people on stage creating all that sound.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good call on Triumph
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
  STOKED Camp ya inspired me  ------------ tonite Me and the Queen and My daughter and her family including my drum Monkey grandson  booked our tix to see RUSH at Manchester NH on 9/7/12 --- Yee haaa
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I wanna go dammmmmmittttt!!!! It's been at least 15 years since my last show, finally recovered so maybe it's time for another

Has your grandson ever seen Neil Peart live???
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
   DO IT MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    It'll be EPIC   !  

I'm stoked IT is the  Tour OPENING  NITE for the new Album tour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter and SIL live 45 minutes from there and  called last nite and said LETS GO  - took me 3 nano-seconds to make THAT decision.

NOPE da Drum Monkey never saw Pert Live but has seen all the vids and the flick u posted yesterday . Talked to him last nite he's pumped. His mom  n' dad have seen Rush live b4  but da monkey n' me and da Queen are getting our first live Rush experience -- woo Hoo
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
you guys are gonna go crazy...their shows are sick, sick i'm tellin ya!!! Bring ear plugs or your ears will be ringing for days, but if your like me you like that ear ringing and wont wear them