376 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

nepa
campgottagopee wrote
Who's down for renting next to Coach for a long weekend ---- midget strippers and blow!!!
Will there be Hookers too?  

Midget Strippers & Blow always seem to put in the mood for a good Hooker or 2.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
nepa wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Who's down for renting next to Coach for a long weekend ---- midget strippers and blow!!!
Will there be Hookers too?  

Midget Strippers & Blow always seem to put in the mood for a good Hooker or 2.
Of course!!!! TJ will be there, he knows all the North Country hookers ---- WOOT!!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I'll bring them in from out of the country it's only an hour up the road
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Me!  Can we invite PeeTex too?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Wilmington, NY.
Not enough snow. Ski area too icy, windy & cold. Supermarket too far away.

Sweet mountain biking, though.

More than one mtn to ski on in Wilmington bro.  And living here, well when it snows and it snows often during the week, we can get up and ski and still get to work on time.  And I'll take bonnie's daily lunch special from the littlevsouper any day over supermarket food.  Hell between our CSA, Kreature butcher shop and little souper we cover our food AOK.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I can bust out some pictures of Mountain Creek with tons of snow, too. Doesn't mean it's consistent.

I'll take Northern Vermont (Waitsfield, Stowe, etc.) over Wilmington for yearly snowfall. I'd spend most of my time there, then come across the lake when the ADKs have the goods. 100 extra inches a year adds up.

Wilmington might have some (more expensive) food, but what is it, 15 miles to the LP Price Chopper? That's not biking distance for a full shopping excursion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Of course!!! The more the merrier
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
campgottagopee wrote
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I'll get the word out to the TGR folks. They're nice people over there, when they're sober.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Benny Profane wrote
campgottagopee wrote
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I'll get the word out to the TGR folks. They're nice people over there, when they're sober.
PERFECT!!!!

I'd like to hang with those clowns
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
 I would not want anybody telling me that I could not rent my property out.
I don't think it necessarily comes down to this in most cases.

When you buy a piece of property in a town/city/neighborhood you, for better or worse, become a member of that community, even if your neighbors still refer to your place as "The Johnson Place" and many folks think you need to go back 6 generations on your mother's side to claiim nativity.

Real estate has the word "real" right in it.  It's not just another investment vehicle for a diverse portfolio.

An out of town landlord renting to short term out of towners has a lot of potential to rip the social fabric of the community, both in cost of living for those who might be in the market for their primary home as well as a quality of life issue for the neighbors.

Some oversight is nexessary, imho.
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
witch hobble wrote
x10003q wrote

When you buy a piece of property in a town/city/neighborhood you, for better or worse, become a member of that community, even if your neighbors still refer to your place as "The Johnson Place" and many folks think you need to go back 6 generations on your mother's side to claiim nativity.

Real estate has the word "real" right in it.  It's not just another investment vehicle for a diverse portfolio.

An out of town landlord renting to short term out of towners has a lot of potential to rip the social fabric of the community, both in cost of living for those who might be in the market for their primary home as well as a quality of life issue for the neighbors.

I personally will be using an AirBnB rental next weekend in Maine. The one I am using is in a house that is a primary residence and does not have close neighbors. That being said I do think that this business needs to be regulated. The rentals should meet all of the requirements of a typical B&B or rental unit as far as safety codes and pay taxes as any other competing hotel or motel is required to.
Following is a link to an interesting article from the NY Times. I think that the Comments are more interesting than the article and bring up some of the negatives of this type of business.
AirBnB article
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
x10003q wrote

You are being way too dramatic.

I owned a place in North Creek for 25 years and my primary home was 3 hours away. I rented it periodically on weekends to help defray my expenses. I guess because there was no "cool" acronym like STR nobody seemed to be bothered. Weekend property rentals have been a normal way of life at Eastern ski areas since Eastern ski areas existed.

In my early 20s, I was in various rental houses in VT and NY. I would venture  a guess that the neighbors were not happy at times, but when you bought a house in a vacation area, you knew there was a good chance that there would be a rental nearby.

With the exception of a few holidays, most of these rentals sit empty mid week from mid December to mid March. Depending on were the rentals are located, they are infrequently rented the rest of the year, with some exceptions during July/Aug and a few leaf peeper weekends.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
MC2 5678F589 wrote
I can bust out some pictures of Mountain Creek with tons of snow, too. Doesn't mean it's consistent.

What's mtn creek?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
MC2 5678F589 wrote
What's mtn creek?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
witch hobble wrote
x10003q wrote

You are being way too dramatic.

I owned a place in North Creek for 25 years and my primary home was 3 hours away. I rented it periodically on weekends to help defray my expenses. I guess because there was no "cool" acronym like STR nobody seemed to be bothered. Weekend property rentals have been a normal way of life at Eastern ski areas since Eastern ski areas existed.

In my early 20s, I was in various rental houses in VT and NY. I would venture  a guess that the neighbors were not happy at times, but when you bought a house in a vacation area, you knew there was a good chance that there would be a rental nearby.

With the exception of a few holidays, most of these rentals sit empty mid week from mid December to mid March. Depending on were the rentals are located, they are infrequently rented the rest of the year, with some exceptions during July/Aug and a few leaf peeper weekends.
That's fine. I think you're being too flippant.

I wasn't speaking specifically to your rental situation, but to your specific statement about you not wanting people to tell you that you can't rent your place.  Taken to one of it's logical conclusions, that sentiment turns into: people shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with my property.  Hard for civility to prevail (though in thr tRump era it appears that's not what a lot of people want), and communities to function, with more people of that mindset.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
It all depends on the neighborhood, and each situation is different.  Rentals are fine in some places, but cause real problems in others.  Most of those problems would go away if people had respect for their neighbors.  If owners take their neighbors concerns seriously, you don't need rules or zoning or HOAs.

So I guess we're gonna need HOAs.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Possible new sheriff in town.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2017/08/north-elba-eyes-constable-to-enforce-vacation-rental-complaints/

LAKE PLACID — Without its own police force, the town of North Elba plans to hire an officer to enforce noise and parking complaints and other related disturbances that come with vacation rentals outside of village lines.

Town Supervisor Roby Politi relayed the town council’s plan to hire a constable at Thursday’s special joint meeting between the Lake Placid village board and the North Elba Town Council, where the two governing bodies discussed vacation rental-related changes to a local law that will be presented to the public either later this year or early next year.

The new local law would be derived from the “Quality Housing Initiative” the Lake Placid-North Elba Community Development Commission has been drafting over the past couple of years. CDC Chairman Dean Dietrich said after Thursday’s meeting that the village and town will likely aim for an implementation date of June 2018, after a proper public hearing process that would begin no earlier than this fall.

“We’re still a ways away,” Dietrich said, “but we made a lot of progress.”

The town’s constable solution is independent of the CDC’s initiative, however. Speaking at Thursday’s meeting, Politi said the paid constable position would be similar to the town’s animal control officer, who responds to disturbances on an on-call basis.

Politi added that the vacation rental constable would likely most frequently work between the hours of 10 p.m. and 8 a.m. on busy weekend and summer nights when many visitors are staying in vacation rentals in residential areas of the town.

“The town is willing to make an investment to help resolve those instances that occur outside the village,” Politi said. “And that’s a way of us trying to police those problems that (the village’s) department and people can do within the village. Therefore, there is consistency and uniformity throughout the town and village. I think that’s a first step and we are willing to make a commitment.”

Town Attorney Ron Briggs expressed support of the position, expressing that he feels “first contact with someone in a uniform” is usually the most effective way to deter behavior that violates local law such as noise ordinances.

The town council’s decision comes as the governing body is frequently receiving complaints from town residents, some people who have relayed their concerns at public meetings that noise and parking problems in traditionally residential areas of the town are altering their living experiences.

Politi said the town came to this decision after it became clear from Ray Brook-based state police that they would not help with vacation rental-related calls of this nature.

“The only problem with a local law is that state police are not going to enforce any local law,” Politi said.

“The village has the amenity of a police department,” Politi added. “The town does not. We have to rely on the state police, and the state police have made it very clear they are not going to respond to any noise complaints.”

Lake Placid Deputy Mayor Art Devlin subsequently asked Politi how many hours the constable would work. The town supervisor said those specifics haven’t been worked out, though the town has interacted with Lake Placid police Chief Bill Moore about the plans.

“We’ve talked about mostly evening hours and whether we need one or whether we need two (officers), like we have with the animal control officers (who) alternate to get appropriate coverage,” Politi said.

“It would not necessarily have to be a full-time position,” the town supervisor added, “we have that same thing with the dog control and animal control officers. We pay each of them money on a year-round basis and they basically work 30 hours and cover shifts.”

“It would get fine-tuned over time,” Briggs added.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
When the town is acknowledging how out of control these rentals really are becoming it's a first step.  Ultmately zoning is the key to fixing this.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2017/08/is-lax-at-the-max/
The LAX thing this week was really over the top as well.  I've never seen that many cars parked on 86 at the Flume.  The fix there needs to be controlling how much of 86 parking is allowed and then post no parking zones so that you don't get too many people in there.  There were drunk idiots walking down the middle on 86 and the speed limit is 55 there.  I heard it was a mess in LP all week.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Glad to see them starting to realize that STR's are a problem in the area.

Where specifically is "The Flume".  If it's between LP and WF, I've most certainly driven past it many times.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's just east of the Hungry Trout on 86

The amount of trash these Lax idiots keave behind is really crazy.  I don't understand why DEC cops are not routinely visiting this trouble spot to keep things in check.  Given the rain we again had the past couple days it can't be safe to swim there again.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
1 ... 45678910 ... 19