classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
376 messages Options
12345678 ... 19
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Threat of STR to mountain towns

ScottyJack
Mountainhigh is good addition to the forum!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
witch hobble wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Im considering doing it with my house..  Why not...?
Make $$ and don't have to worry about certain types/groups of people messing your stuff up because you have to rent to them by law...
People on this forum think you mean "snowboarders".😂
Slowboarders dont have any money to pay rent!
Sleeping 7 to a room and selling hash oil and Four Loko to the local middle school kids.  You know how "those people" are!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
ScottyJack wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Matt, who pays the bills in your basement? Your math sucks.
Bot Bot Bot ALERT!
   I know it's difficult for you. This is a joke. Matt suggests more associated costs  (taxes) will help homeowners afford homes. I know he doesn't live in his parents basement.    
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
ScottyJack wrote
witch hobble wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Make $$ and don't have to worry about certain types/groups of people messing your stuff up because you have to rent to them by law...
Because we actually own our own houses... Crazy I know..
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Jokes on you cause I thought your post was funny as hell!  

I also think it would be hilarious if in real life someone followed you around and screamed Bot Bot Bot alert everytime you said something. I'm laughing really hard as I type this just imaging that!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by dmc_hunter
dmc_hunter wrote
ScottyJack wrote
witch hobble wrote
dmc_hunter wrote
Because we actually own our own houses... Crazy I know..
Trustfunder!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
ScottyJack wrote
Jokes on you cause I thought your post was funny as hell!  

I also think it would be hilarious if in real life someone followed you around and screamed Bot Bot Bot alert everytime you said something. I'm laughing really hard as I type this just imaging that!!
I had a nightmare last night about this. Creepy. I've been saying Bot bot bot to annoying people at work all day. They don't know, so  I just laugh and walk away.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Hagahshajahah!  See!  Its funny!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I ran for and was on my local HOAA builder basically ran it so he had no interest in limiting STRs A lawyer just was pro suing residents that didn't follow his written rulesAnd some retired folks wanted to run everything for the benefit of vacationersIt became a waste of my time and I resigned after a couple yrs when the stopped following Roberts rules of orders and just did what ever they felt like
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Whatever happened to knocking on the neighbors door to settle a disagreement?  Seems to work with most of the problems I encounter in my neighborhood.
Common sense no longer exists
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
Freeheelwilly was da bomb!
hehe
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Oh yeah. Everything's great!

ScottyJack wrote
Hagahshajahah!  See!  Its funny!!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
tjf1967 wrote
Whatever happened to knocking on the neighbors door to settle a disagreement?  Seems to work with most of the problems I encounter in my neighborhood.
In my mom's townhouse complex there is no HOA.  One young guy there has a dog that craps on everyone's lawn. The bookie three doors down knocked on his door and handed him a bag of poop. Said next time it be his dog.  Problem solved.  

Pretty good common sense uh CampWoodChucksHaveFeelingsToo?
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
tjf1967 wrote
In my mom's townhouse complex there is no HOA.  One young guy there has a dog that craps on everyone's lawn. The bookie three doors down knocked on his door and handed him a bag of poop. Said next time it be his dog.  Problem solved.  

Now we're talkin bro
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
ScottyJack wrote
campgottagopee wrote
tjf1967 wrote

And your mom lives 3 doors down from the young guy, so there's a 50% chance that she's a bookie and a Grade A badass for saying "next time it's your dog in the bag, you punk ass"
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

frank wright
Let me be of some help.

HOA's are excellent, they work very well.  I'm on my hoa board, unfortunately they will never allow me to be president.  I'm sort of bitter about it but they want to limit my powers.

The idea that short term rentals are a threat to mountain towns.  Well that's just another made up story.  There are about a dozen issues at work that are putting the squeeze on resort town living. I could spend hours and pages explaining in detail all the issues at hand.  But why waste my time the thread has already derailed.

There is a reason why living in a resort community is difficult.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I am very interested. Please.(Sincere)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

frank wright
In reply to this post by mountainhigh
mountainhigh wrote
raisingarizona wrote
How do they compare? If it means more tax on working people than no. I know a few airbnb owners here in flagstaff and these aren't big time millionaires from Phoenix. I do know that taxes and the brackets are bullshit though. I have a friend that just got a promotion at her city job, this pushed her just over the line into the next tax bracket and now she makes less money.

Good Lord.  What other fundamental mechanics of income taxation completely elude you?  Posts like this make me support voting literacy tests.  I really don't want this guy voting.  If he can believe that nonsense, what other fanciful and baseless beliefs inform his choices in the voting booth?

We get the government we deserve.

You are the man mountain high.

I squeeze a million plus dollars through my butt cheeks every year and I don't know anything about taxes.  Honestly.  Have no clue. Don't know the difference between sales taxes, state taxes, federal taxes, income taxes, you name it.  I just do what the accountant tells me to do.  Heck might even crack 1.5 million this year the way things are going so far.  I am a first class moron.  On top of it I've never voted in my life.  Don't ever plan on it either.  Crazy world we live in huh?
Reply | Threaded
|

frank wright
In reply to this post by Harvey
it's almost midnight I might have to get back to this

1) dumpy houses, neglected and run down, that were filled with ski bum kids are disappearing, many are being bulldozed and replaced by much larger second homes, usually the home has no real value but the property does, so people have no problem purchasing a half million dollar home in a great location and leveling it, this has been a huge factor in destroying affordable housing units in the past ten year

2) Second homeowners used to purchase a home and it would sit vacant that was standard issue, now many of these homes can be rented short term, and money can be made by the owner, so there is no real change

3) The number of people who aspire to that mountain town living has skyrocketed in the past 10 years.  Instead of a hundred kids showing up each fall to live the dream there are now thousands.  Housing units overall have not kept up with the new demand, so there will be many more hard luck stories out there

4) Wages are much too low for the cost of living in resort towns, and the cost of living has risen massively in the past few years, which makes it difficult to live there, which translates into more stories of hardship  

5) Mountain living is not easy, it's full of excuses, if you really want to live in a resort town you need to make it happen and you need to sacrifice to to do that, purchase a home condo etc if you can, make it happen, it won't be what you want at all, but it will be your home, drive around POS cars, don't take vacations, that is what resort living adds up too, you have to sacrifice to live there, if you don't sacrifice, then move back to upstate ny  

6) Supply and demand, right now resort property is hot, the demand is massive, it is outstripping the supply, people are selling and jumping ship from resort towns right now, why not, if you can sell a property that has well over doubled in equity, why not, sell and go find the next spot and you end up paying cash for a house.  It's silly right now.  

I was involved with a problem this spring where a families lease was up, the landlord could not get them out, it was not pretty, they literally had no where to go,  it was a bummer, but the landlord is getting older and sick of being a landlord so they were dumping all their properties, market prices are high sell on top
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Threat of Short-term Rentals to mountain towns

billyymc
In reply to this post by Z
If affordable rentals aren't available, buy. If you can't afford to rent or buy you can't afford to live in a ski town, so leave. Go back to reality like the rest of us who have to live where we can get good paying jobs.

What's that? The pay for working at a resort isn't enough to live in the area? Leave. Employers will have to either find people who can live on the shit pay they offer, or pony up more money for quality employees.

If a house isn't a primary residence, and mainly being used as a STR, tax and regulate it like any other property being used for the same purpose.
12345678 ... 19